⊰ 16 ⊱

The blood shot eyes seemed to lock onto it's next victim. Toya didn't know if the beast had locked right onto Amaryllis or not but it was in that general direction and he felt the pit in his stomach tighten. His body moved before he could really process what he was doing, all that filled his mind were flashes of Amaryllis's lifeless bloody body laying on the ground.

Toya swung his arm out towards the beast and a long line of blue fire ripped across the clearing, towering high in the sky, blocking the creature from it's next victim. He felt a harsh sting pulse through his arm.

The beast redirected it's attention to the one who had cut it off from its prey. It's blood shot eyes pierced through Toya, and he felt fear pulse through his body. The black beast turned to face Toya, it's eyes locked on, it looked even more horrific from the shadow of the flames against it's face. It began to move forward, but stopped when a silver spear shot through the flames and pierced through it's claw. It let out a cry of pain before the spear disappeared and dark red blood burst out from the wound. Toya noticed Amaryllis running towards him, she looked completely terrified. He hated that look.

The beast shook its head and scanned for its next prey. It set it's eyes on another worker and began on its prowl. Toya's attention turned back to Amaryllis, she stood very close to him with that terrified look gleaming in her eyes. "I-I'm not very sure what to do," she spoke under her breath and her words escaped her mouth quickly, the flames casted a dark shadow across her face, it only added to her scared look. "I-I don't know if we should k-kill it or-" she stopped, realizing the best course of action was.

Toya knew exactly what was racing through her mind, the very thought about killing even this creature went against the principles of being a hero, even if it was for the greater good. Even so, they both knew that they couldn't let this beast leave the confines of this clearing.

Toya's arm moved on it's once again, blocking the beast from advancing on it's next prey. By now, a good half of the clearing was covered in Toya's flames, and it was taking a toll on him. He could feel the heat radiating from his skin and the itchy feeling coating his arms.

A thought then crossed his mind, both of them seemed awfully worried about the lives of the workers. They could easily dispose of the beast while it preyed on the workers, though Toya was the one doing most of the distractions. Even so, they didn't know these people, and they were the ones transporting this thing and had come up in the brilliant idea of letting it loose thinking it would help them. Toya didn't get the idea of helping these people, even so, he couldn't help but pity them, as well as the fact that he didn't wish to see how Amaryllis would react to these thoughts.

By being cut off by the flames, the beast set it's sights on Amaryllis and Toya. Advancing on them with a deep low growl. It began to pick up speed till it was at a full sprint towards them. Toya raised his flamed engulfed hand to defend them but Amaryllis took liberty for that job.

She took a defensive possession on the ground with her arms raised to cover her face, Toya watched as the blue ribbons wrapped around her arms and formed a shape in front of her. The light left behind glistening silver armor, covering her forearms and forming a decorative shield in front of her. When the beast lunged towards them it's black claws scrapped against the shield, leaving long marks as it let it claws slide down the metal. It definitely took a toll on Amaryllis, for she was forced back a good ways from the impact and grunting in whole ways, the discomfort look on her face added to the concern. However, she forced the shield forward, knocking the beast back a few feet. The shield and armor quickly disappeared and Amaryllis withered, taking long heavy breaths.

It didn't take long for the beats to recover, and came charging towards them with the intent to kill. Toya took liberty this time and rushed forward to shield an exhausted Amaryllis. He held out his hand letting his flames cover the beast's face. He could feel it, his skin begin to boil, it hurt like hell. Like hell itself was dancing upon his skin. He held his hand up for as long as he could before the pain became to much, and he let out a gasp of pain as his hand went limp and he crumbled. He gripped onto his wrist, the burning feeling sticking to him. He gritted his teeth, holding back his cries of pain.

The beast, on the other hand, was not containing itself. It's black fur was ablaze with blue fire, seeping into its skin. It cried out in pain, slamming it's head against the ground trying to put out the flames. What kind of creature was this? It was just making the pain worse every time it smashed it's head into the ground. It's like it wasn't even alive, just a murderess puppet.

The burned fur revealed black skin, now covered with burns. When most of the fire has been put out it returned it's gaze to the two teenagers. It's sides heaved heavy breaths as the flames began to die down around it.

"Distract it," Amaryllis coughed out, rising to her feet. She gazed back at Toya, he couldn't read the look in her eyes. He simply nodded, watching her disappear among charred packages.

The beast seemed more focused on the one who just burned half of it's skin off, for it was only worried about Toya in this moment. Toya, himself, stood his ground, wondering what Amaryllis had planned. He just hoped she did it soon, he was unsure how much more burning pain he could endure.

The beast had a very simple attack pattern, attack straight on at full force. For that's all that the beast was doing, heading straight for it's target without delay. Once again, it lunged straight for Toya, he leaped out of it's way, hearing it crash into the ground. Toya jumped to his feet, slashing is arm across his body, hitting the beast with another line of fire. The beast cried and whipped around to slash at Toya, who was able to barely escape it's wrath.

Toya attempted to make another wall of fire to separate him and the beast but he seemed to of reached his limit, and the pain was too great to muster up the energy. Instead, he crumbled to the ground.

There was a moment that flashed through Toya's head, of his own intestines being ripped out. That he might actually die here. However, he now saw where Amaryllis had skippered off to. She stood atop a pile of crates, with a spear clutched tightly in her hands.

It was very quick and flawless. Amaryllis leaped into the air and was able to land right on top of the beast's shoulders. The beast grunted at the extra weight and gazed around in confusion. Amaryllis raised her spear high above her head and hesitated, Toya could only dream what was going through her head. But one thing was sure, she looked petrified.

Amaryllis squeezed her eyes shut and let out a battle cry before she rammed her spear right through the beast's skull. The fact that you could hear the spear breaking through it's skull was bad enough, but the sound that came next was what was so awful. The beast let out a long and ear raping cry. It was high pitched and had a strong vibrato, it sounded like someone was forcing a poor animal down a shredder.

When the beast finally stopped screaming, it collapsed. It was finally dead, and there stood Amaryllis, still gripping onto her spear with white knuckles.

It took Amaryllis a moment to process what she had just done. Her eyes rose from the beast to Toya, and she just stared at him, her eyes screaming what have I just done?

After a few more beats, Amaryllis hopped down from the fresh corpse and sprinted towards Toya, never braking eye contact. She threw herself into Toya's chest and just burrowed her face there, gripping onto him tightly. They just stood there for a moment, bloody and covered in dirt. Toya stood there trying to catch his breath, and trying to comprehend what had just happened. Even so, he wrapped his aching arms around Amaryllis, the least he could do in this moment was offer her his comfort.

~

The authorities had been called and were in charge of the situation now, leaving Toya to just sit with Amaryllis as he had his wounds treated. She sat with her head resting on his shoulder, her eyes watching as he had his burns treated. A blank stare resigned in her red orbs.

"Is that the draw back to your quirk?" Amaryllis asked, she sounded dazed. Toya gazed down at his bandaged arms, "Yeah," he said, "I was told that I was frail like my mother." The words didn't sit right on his tongue, Toya never liked hearing those words in the first place, much less from his own mouth.

Amaryllis was silent for a moment, "Mine depends on my strength," she said. "Like when I first got my quirk, the weapons were so fragile even a simple tap could shatter them." There was a bit of humor in her voice. "It also has to do with focus,-and strength and just- it's just a lot of shit." She sounded like she was rambling, just filling the empty air around them.

"Does it hurt?" Amaryllis was quick the ask her next question. "Your arms, that is."

Toya gazed down at his bandaged arms, shifting them around so he could get a better look. "Don't worry," he said. "I've gotten used to it."