⊰ 18 ⊱

Toya found himself buying quite a bit of that ointment from Sarkans. By this time, he was rather convinced that it worked and had just bought another bottle for his injuries from last weeks incident.

Toya wondered if the beast stuck to Amaryllis's mind as much as it did to his. Toya had found himself tired from staying up so late, unable to close his eyes without seeing that creature. It's blood shot eyes staring him down, wanting noting more than to rip him to shreds.

While he was buying the ointment from Sarkans, Toya had mentioned something about it and Sarkans took an immediate interest.

"Ah," he hummed, "so you had something to do with that incident last week." Toya didn't respond as he scanned the shelves, Christmas was on its way.

"The news said it was a gas can fire, but, I bet those scorch marks were from you." Toya just ignored him again. He picked up a stupid looking stone frog. Sarkans coughed, asking for Toya's attention. Toya turned to gaze at the skinny man, there was a curious glint in his eyes.

"Well?" He said, "was it you?" Toya was sure that the look in his face gave Sarkans the answer he was pushing for, but he was sure he wanted to hear the words come out of Toya's mouth.

"Why do you care?" The words came out a lot harsher than Toya intended but he didn't feel too bad about it. Sarkans looked unfazed, "I'm more curious on what actually happened. For my own curiosity."

"Yeah," Toya said, setting the frog back down, "it was." He found himself talking softly. "So," was what Sarkans said next, "what was it then? There is no way someone was disemboweled by a gas tank." Toya wondered how Sarkans knew about that factor, he knew for a fact that the news hadn't said anything about how the death toll occurred.

"A beast," Toya mumbled, he couldn't stop himself from talking, he found that Sarkans had a way of getting information out of people. He was a rather convincing man.

"I'm sorry?" Sarkans said, Toya could see his tall stature leaning over the counter.

"A beast," Toya said louder, making sure to articulate every syllable.

"A beast?" Sarkans repeated, he sounded rather confused. "What the hell do you mean by a beast?" He said this with a light laugh, like he didn't really believe Toya.

This annoyed Toya, and he grabbed the ointment and tossed it onto the counter. "I'll let you fill in the gaps," he said sharply. Sarkans just gave him a look before ringing him up and Toya was on his way after paying.

So here Toya was now, aimless walking down the street. He found himself already taking out the ointment to apply it to his wounds. It stung a bit but Toya had gotten used to it.

Toya wasn't very sure what he was going to do or go next. It was the weekend and he didn't have any plans besides getting the ointment. The thought crossed his mind of calling Amaryllis, see how she was. However, he decided against it, for whatever reason. Maybe he could just go home? His father was away so he wouldn't need to worry about that. He could just go home and go from there. So that's what he decided. Toya changed his course and set it sights set for home.

It was a quite and cold walk for Toya. Nothing interesting was happening and Toya found entertainment in the cold smoke that escaped his lips every time he took a breath. The thought crossed his mind of taking the time to smoke but he wasn't sure he had any left, and he spent that money on this ointment. It was probably for the best.

As he rounded a corner, Toya ran into someone he didn't expect to see this far over. It was Amaryllis, looking just as surprised as he was.

"I'm starting to think that you keep taps on me," Toya said, his voice thick with amusement. Amaryllis laughed at this, "Do you have any proof that I don't?"

Despite her cheery tone, Amaryllis looked awful. She had dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep and her red eyes, themselves, were just glossed over. Toya couldn't help but pry.

"Are you alright?" He asked. She didn't answer at first, she just stared up at him. She looked small from this angle. Amaryllis then placed the bag she was carrying on the ground and held out her hands. She made a gesture suggesting for Toya to take her hands. He placed her hands into her's and held them tightly. They were cold, as always. Amaryllis then pulled Toya closer to her, pressing herself against his chest, gazing up at him with red glossy eyes.

"Can I have a kiss?" She asked. Toya was a bit surprised by this request. Regardless, he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her cool lips. When he pulled away, there was a pleased look on Amaryllis's face.

"Thank you," she said with a ring, she picked back up the bag she was carrying. "What brings you out here?" She asked.

"Got something for my wounds," he said, "would you like some?" It looked like it took Amaryllis a moment to process what he said. She jumped a bit once she realized, shaking her head, "No, I'll be fine. But thanks."

"Amaryllis," Toya said, the name just rolled right off of his tongue. "Are you alright?" He really wanted an answer for this question, even if he already knew it.

Amaryllis took a while to answer, it felt like an eternity. "No," she finally said, "not really." She took another long pause before speaking once again, by now she was looking at the ground. "I can't sleep, every time I close my eyes I see that creature." There was a poison in her voice. She looked back up at Toya, her eyes now glossy with tears instead of exhaustion. "Does it haunt you? The beast?" She sounded like she was begging for him to agree.

Toya took a breath before he answered. "Yeah, it does." A relieved look washed over Amaryllis's eyes. Toya noticed her shuffle her feet around, as if she was nervous.

"Hey," she said, her tone was soft, "are you doing anything later?" She spoke rather slowly, making sure to pronounce every syllable.

"No," Toya was surprised at how quickly he answered. Amaryllis looked to be searching for words, he could see the gears turning in her silver head.

"Do you think you could come over later?" Once again, she talked slowly. "As in, my house? My father is gone for the weekend..." she said the last portion more under her breath. Amaryllis has joked about this in the past, but her intentions were different this time. At least, that's what her tone suggested. Toya has learned that Amaryllis likes to say one think but mean something very different. He found this a bit amusing.

"Yeah, I think I'll be able to." There was a hint of joking in his tone. Toya could see the annoyed glint cross Amaryllis's face. "Alright," she replied with a touch of annoyance. "I'll see you then." She flashed Toya a smile, it was warm yet forced.