⊰ 11 ⊱

With Halloween only days away, Amaryllis had suggested going to a little festival for the occasion. However, Amaryllis has been very keen on the idea that Toya had to dress up. So here he was wondering around trying to gather up whatever cheap costume elements he could find. All he had so far was a black cape and a little fancy red vest. It was rather hard to find cheap costume that wasn't just crap with a price tag.

Not only was he having trouble hunting things down but the fact that he felt rather awful didn't help. It was just last night that he has a few poor choices of words for his father that didn't end well for him. So here he is wondering around town feeling shitty, there was a part of him that hoped he didn't run into Amaryllis. He wasn't fond of the idea of her seeing him like this.

As he practically dragged himself around he stumbled across a small shop that caught his eye. The name of the shop was simply Refurbished Nicknacks but something about it kept clicking in Toya's mind. It wasn't till he recalled his meeting with Sarkens that this was probably the shop he mentioned.

It was a small shop with little things in the window, as well as some Halloween decorations. Toya's curiosity got the best of him and he decided to waltz inside. What's the worst that could happen?

There was a small chime from a bell when the door opened. Toya had to wait for his eyes to adjust before he could get a good look at things. It seemed that the light from the windows were the only real source of light, for the room was dark and shaded beyond belief. Dusty shelfs lined the store that were filled with a great assortment of things, and in the back there was a counter with a girl sitting behind it with her eyes focused on what seemed like a book.

At the sound of the bell the girl took her sweet time to notice Toya, and she seemed very surprised that there was another human being in the shop. She seemed young, possibly early 20s, with soft features and sharp green eyes. She simply wore a white collared shirt with a black tie. Toya found this interesting for whatever reason.

"W-welcome," she stuttered, snapping the book shut and pushed it to the other side of the counter. "Anything in particular you're looking for?" She sounded rather nervous.

"Does a man named Sarkens own this place?" Toya asked, completely ignoring her pervious question.

She seemed confused about his question at first, "Yes, he does." Toya hummed as a response.

The shop had some very interesting things, anything from jewelry to small statues to even some adult toys. There was even some small costume elements for Halloween.

"I-if you would like to see anything just let me know," the girl called from the counter, Toya assumed she was talking about the assortment of things locked in glass cases. Those things looked a lot more valuable and Toya would prefer not the even touch them.

While Toya was gazing at costume pieces a familiar figure entered from the back.

"Ah, fancy seeing you here," the cool voice belonged to Sarkens. He stood right behind the girl who has shifted out of his way, he loomed over her quite ominously, she seemed so small compared to the man standing behind her. Toya watched as he shifted around the girl and made his way over to Toya.

"See anything you like?" Sarkens asked, his tone was incredibly friendly. "Just gazing," was Toya's reply, he did his best to avoid making eye contact. He could feel Sarkens'a gem like eyes studying him.

"Last minute costume shopping?"

"Yeah," Toya realized that he was even worse than Amaryllis when it came to changing subjects, or maybe it was just the fact that he found Sarkens more annoying than her.

"What about your face?" Toya was puzzled by his question at first, till he remembered that he had a large bandage covering a good portion of his face. Toya found himself reaching to to run his fingers along the bandage. "What about it?" He mumbled under his breath. He watched Sarkens fiddle around the shelves till he seemed to find what he wanted. He wondered back over to Toya and handed him a bottle.

"It's a natural healing ointment," Sarkens said with a pleased smile. "It's my own recipe." Toya gazed down at the bottle, "it's not going to burn my skin off, is it?" He realized that he seemed to keep a cold tone with Sarkens, almost like he was talking with his father.

Sarkens just laughed at Toya's remark. "Oh no," he grabbed the bottle back out of Toya's hand and flipped it open. He put a little bit of the lotion like substance on his hands before rubbing his hands together. "Is perfectly safe."

He handed the bottle back to Toya, he gazed down at the label Sarkens's Healing Lotion that was plastered in big red letters. Toya thought it was such a stupid name. He then flipped the bottle and was shocked at the price printed pretty small on the back. It was rather expensive.

"I can't afford this," Toya mumbled, holding the lotion out in front of him. If he wished to still grab a few more costume elements and maybe something to eat later he surly couldn't.

"Really," Sarkens's voice was distant. It was a brief moment of the tall man just looming over Toya in thought. "Than you can have this one for free." Toya caught the assistant behind the counter make a worried gesture. "You can consider it a free sample."

"Thank you," Toya said, his eyes scanned the shelf once more. He grabbed a packet from the shelf and quickly glanced at the price. "I do want to purchase this though."

He paid for the simple costume element before he left. He distinctly remembers Sarkens giving him a small wave before he exited the store, and Toya was unsure of why that stood out to him. Was it his skeleton like hands? The friendly smile he had plastered across his lips? His unusual friendly behavior towards him? Toya wasn't exactly sure why, but he knew his smile wouldn't be leaving his brain anytime soon.