I put the dye in the bag and gently set it on the floor, then swiveled and leaned against Sebastian's side, snaking under his thick arm and wrapping my arms around him. He stiffened when I tucked my head under his armpit and sighed through my nose, holding him tightly.

"Thank you," I said quietly. "Really. I mean it."

He shifted slightly, and his arm came around my back.

The gesture was hesitant, but warm. I don't know how long we sat there for but the heat radiating from his body lulled me into a sleepy state of half-awareness. I cuddled against him and relaxed, engulfed by his comforting musk, fighting to stay awake under the motion of his large, calloused hand sliding back and forth across my left arm.

"Don't fall asleep," he suddenly grunted, and I twitched, roused to full-consciousness; I hadn't even realized I'd almost been out until he'd spoken. "Not yet, anyway. I still have to give you that... surprise... I mentioned."

I turned my head against the side of his chest, cradled in the crook of his armpit as I was; I could smell his scent fairly strongly in this position, but for whatever reason it didn't smell gross... not like a normal guy's pit would, anyway. I peered up at him through half-open eyes.

"You're being awfully secretive," I sleepily mumbled, letting loose a yawn. "Is it that big of a surprise?"

"Oh, you have no idea," he snorted, and I blinked since he seemed... smug. "Now, if you're done trying to stealthily smell my underarms, let's go."

I blinked, momentarily confused, but then my cheeks flamed and my ears started burning.

"I wasn't trying to smell your armpits, you gross ass!" I squealed, pushing away from him and slugging him in the arm. "What's wrong with you?!"

Something happened, then, that shocked me: Sebastian blinked, looking surprised, but then his amber eyes darkened to an almost normal-looking brown, his face split into a huge, wolfish grin, and for the first time that I had ever seen since I'd met him... he laughed.

He laughed and I froze like marble, because it was deep and powerful and booming and gravelly, like an avalanche of stones rushing down a mountain made of soft earth, but quiet and simple and somehow velvety all at the same time. His voice vibrated my chest, stirred my stomach, and tickled my ears, making my cheeks grow even hotter than they were, and that smile...

God, that smile.

"There's nothing gross about it," he eventually managed to say, and with a huge hand he gripped the back of my head and smashed my face into his armpit, grinning fiercely. "I smell good, that much I'm aware of, so feel free to indulge whenever you want to."

"Ew! Dude, get off!" I squealed, smacking his arm when he laughed again; he let me go after a moment and I immediately rubbed my steaming face, but when I tried to glare I found that I couldn't do it properly since he looked genuinely tickled and amused. After a moment, though, those eyes of his flickered back to their normal amber and his good humor faded somewhat.

"Never be ashamed of what you like," he told me, tilting his head. "If you like the way I smell, don't be ashamed of it."

"I admit you smell good," I allowed, then flatly added, "but... your underarms? Really?"

"Really," he said just as stoically. "Werewolves perceive such actions very differently than humans do. Most people would find it disgusting or... off-putting, but believe it or not it's actually very common for my kind to be fascinated with scent-based areas on one's body. For example, I, personally, find your scent intoxicating... I struggle with myself whenever I'm around you."

I instantly clutched my underarms protectively and stared at him with suspicious eyes.

"Not helping," I informed him, then sighed and lowered my arms, "but... I guess everyone's got their kinks or whatever. I won't judge if that's what you're into."

"All werewolves are," he informed me, and I stared; he looked at the wall and rolled his jaw. "I am not a man, Aerin... I am a beast in human form. I have the instincts and urges of a wild animal with the rationale of a human, and while both of those are dampened by years of wisdom, it is an irrefutable fact that if you and I ever... make it to where I want us to be... you will come to discover that I am more animal than anything else. That is also... one of my... worries."

I looked at him evenly, but he refused to meet my stare.

Those eyes of his gazed straight ahead at the wall.

His face was made of stone, completely unreadable and bored-looking.

Why do I do this to myself? I mentally mourned; I couldn't believe I was doing this, couldn't fathom what was wrong with me, but before I could stop I leaned forward, buried my face in the crook of his arm, and wrapped him up in an embrace. I breathed deeply and evenly, feeling him tense beneath my touch. I could, in fact, smell him very clearly... but even so, it wasn't gross.

Or unpleasant.

Quite the contrary, he smelled good.

I couldn't explain it. Most guys smelled like sweat, and it typically reeked, but... not him.

It was almost... I dunno, it almost smelled spicy in a weird way.

"We're not at that point yet," I mumbled into the cloth of his shirt, "but if we ever get to that point, and we... start something together... the last thing you'll ever have to worry about is me judging you. When I decide to commit to something... I always give it my all and see it through until the very end. That goes for relationships, too. I find this a little embarrassing, I admit it, but over time I'll get used to it... and eventually, I won't be bothered at all. That I can promise."

I felt him shift slightly, and I heard a snort.

"You're a peculiar little thing."

"I know," I muttered, pulling back and rubbing my blushing nose. "So... about that surprise?"

Anything to change the subject from this weirdness, please and thank you GOD!

"Hn," he acknowledged, rising to his feet. "Follow. It should be ready by now."

Confusion touched me when he headed for the door, but when he opened it, Tiffany and Woody fell forward into the room. The blonde woman squeaked when she smacked her face against Sebastian's chest, but Woody caught himself and stepped back, grinning sheepishly.

"Sorry, totally didn't mean to eavesdrop," the woman giggled in red-faced horror, but when he folded his arms and cocked his head, she stuttered, "well, that's a lie, I did mean to -- but who can blame me?! You two are perfect for--"

Without a word, Sebastian flicked her forehead and walked right past her with a snort; she blinked rapidly, staring off at nothing for a few seconds, before she glanced at me in embarrassment and gave a little wave. I simply gave her a dead fish stare.

"You really need to stop doing that," I told her. "It's rude."

"Can't help it!" she whined, flailing her arms; behind her, Woody let out a wheezy little chuckle and walked out of sight. "I wanna know what's happening between you two! It's so juicy!"

I blushed hard, but instead of responding I tucked the auburn hair dye under the bed and walked past her. I was curious to see what this mysterious surprise was going to be, but looking back at that moment, I never would have guessed what was about to happen.

Not in a million years.