CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

Constance sat down beside me, as I rubbed her shoulders

     Constance sat down beside me, as I rubbed her shoulders. Awaiting for Ms. Esther and Ms. Erika to enter the cafeteria. I leaned over kissing her forehead more than once, feeling relieved to be around her again. I didn't feel weak for apologizing or loving hard on my girl because I feel like she really knows so much about me and I keep letting her in.

Finally, they entered the cafeteria holding balloons and celebration whistles while Ms. Esther also had the cart of breakfast.

"Why all the long faces? We've met our goal for the fundraiser!" Ms. Erika announced. "I'm really proud of you all for doing something for the camp and saving it. I've known you for two months but I love y'all seriously. Y'all are a good group of kids, no young-adults showing that you are capable of standing up for something that you love and enjoy! There's big things going to happen with this camp, all thanks you guys and—."

"Our reward is the skating ring party," Ms. Esther added. "Not only for you meet the goal but there's a lot of children that signed up to join the camp. I'm so happy and proud of you all. I knew that this was going to be wonderful. I made pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash browns. Hope you like with the drinks being orange juice or HI-C."

I appreciated food, especially a big breakfast that Ms. Esther was giving us.

"Later on we'll be going skating, and I'm buying all of y'all wristbands." Ms. Erika stated, giving us time to cheer. "So I hope you enjoy your breakfast, and I'll leave you with this question to think about, Are you afraid of being your true self around others, why?"

The question touched deeply on everyone in the cafeteria as the entire room was quiet and possibly in their thoughts. I was definitely thinking about it as well and the way Ms. Erika glared at all of us she knew that she had us which led her to leaving the cafeteria altogether.

Ms. Esther smiled at us, "I'm about to pass out the food, how do y'all feel about the question?"

"She always seems to get us in our thoughts," Jacqueline spoke, giving her opinion. "I do think we tend to hold back from being our true self from others, probably scared of the thoughts and opinions people think of us or just being scared of trusting one another."

"I agree, we're never going to give a person all of us," Braylon confessed. "Sometimes we give people the best version of ourselves and leave out the rest of what completes us as individuals."

Ms. Esther passed out the food, patting Braylon's back.

"A very good answer to the question. You've all grown so much from the past summers I've spent with you all," She said. "We have one month left together, and I want you all to know especially to the newbies. You are all good children with plenty of room to continue growing and progressing as better people as adults. I also would like to include, just because you have no clue on what to do after you leave camp or as an adult you're not alone or by yourself. Sometimes we find ourselves more as we grow and other times we're stuck, but it's okay. You are in a journey of growing and moving forward as young-adults. Don't rush, everything in life happens for a reason."