Chapter 26: Sir Raulf

I wasn't sure how long I slept. I woke occasionally as individuals would come and go from the room. Edric didn't come to see me again, but his mother would check in on me from time to time. One of the servants, who said her name was Milly, attended to me the most. She would check my injury and bring me soup to eat. She wouldn't say much, she simply went about her duties and then she would leave.

At one point, I was roused from sleep, when I became aware of light shining in the room. Opening my eyes, I noticed someone had opened the curtains. At first, the sunlight hurt my eyes. After a few moments, my eyes adjusted from being in a darkened room.

Slowly, I sat up and leaned against the massive headboard. With the room now bathed in light I could see the room clearly and was presently surprised.

I admired the room for a moment, while I stretched and yawned. The room was not overly ornate, but it had charm. Plum colored draperies with a floral design hung from the walls with a matching rug in front of a fireplace. Two upholstered arm chairs sat facing each other atop the rug. A wardrobe cabinet sat against one wall.

My head, while still tender, did not ache nearly as much. Drawn to the window, I had an urge to get up and look outside. Carefully I moved toward the edge of the bed. I felt a chill and looked down at the thin nightgown Milly had helped me change into at some point. Looking around I noticed a folded blanket at the end of the four poster bed. Wrapping it around my shoulders, I hugged its softness close to me.

Gingerly I stood up and made my way over to the window. I felt stiff and sore from lying for so long. How long I wasn't sure; a day, two days, maybe a week for all I knew. I would have to ask someone when they returned. Hopefully they would sooner than later. I needed answers. Most importantly, I needed to get back to Dilston Manor. Everyone must have been beside themselves wondering where I was.

Then I remembered what Edric had said about someone trying to abduct me. I wondered if that were true. All I knew was that I needed answers and I needed them soon.

Sighing, I looked out the window. Before me was a beautiful view of the sea. I knew the Von Dane lands bordered the East Geltic Sea, but I'd never actually seen the sea up close before.

I watched as the waves beat upon the cliffs. The rhythmic motion was soothing and I took in the moment feeling a small measure of peace.

I'm not certain how long I stood watching the waves, when someone rapped at the door and then entered. It was the servant, Milly. She looked around in a panic when she saw I was not in bed. When she finally noticed me by the window, she drew in a sigh of relief.

"Well, I see you are up and moving around. You must not push yourself too hard. I have orders from milord to make sure you don't overexert yourself." She spoke enthusiastically with hands on her hips. She was very petite and I could tell right away her personality made up for her small frame.

To my amusement, she continued. "I
was beginning to think you would lie there forever. I felt awful waking you so much, but milord said you needed nourishment and I should make sure you were comfortable." Taking a breath she continued.

"If you are feeling well enough, might I suggest a bath my lady. I can wash your hair if you like. I tried to clean the blood out of your hair as much as I could, but a proper bath would be the best thing."

I knew my hair must be matted and horribly tangled. After lying in bed for so long, I was sure I must have smelled atrocious as well.

Once I had bathed, and Milly finished washing my hair, I began to feel more like my old self. To my surprise I found I was enjoying being pampered. It wasn't until Milly brought out a mint green gown for me to wear, that I began to feel a small measure of irritation at the situation. I insisted that I would much prefer to wear the cloths that I had come in. Milly informed me that they were blood stained and dirty from my injury and that they were being cleaned. I realized I had little choice in the matter and with a sigh allowed her to assist me with dressing.