Chapter 8: The Plan

AN: This chapter is a little long. :)

I stood in front of the stained glass window in my father's office and watched as Sir Gregory entered with Sir Raulf. They halted their discussion as they approached.

"My Lady you wanted to speak to us?" Sir Gregory inquired.

Clasping my hands behind my back I gave both of them strained smile. My sleepless night had taken more of a toll than I had realized. I knew I could not speak of it to anyone, for they would not believe it was anything more than a dream. I wasn't sure how I would explain what happened anyway.

"Yes, thank you for coming. I have also requested Brom Randloph's and Lord Pennington's presence as well. They should be here shortly.

Sir Raulf gave me a concerned look. "My lady you look a little pale today, Are you feeling well?"

"Oh, I am fine Sir Raulf. I didn't sleep well last night and I suppose I have a bit of a headache." I hoped he wouldn't press me further and to my relief he simply gave me a sympathetic smile.

"You have taken far too much on my lady. Perhaps you ought to visit you aunt for a fortnight or two. We are able to look after affairs here for a time." Sir Gregory urged in a fatherly way.

I shook my head. "I know you are concerned for me but I assure you I shall be myself again in no time."

Just then Lord Pennington and Brom Randloph entered, thankfully halting the discussion over my wellbeing. I really hadn't liked were the conversation was going.

After everyone was assembled, they waited for me to enlighten them on our meeting. I took a deep breath and hoped what I was about to suggest would not be met with disregard. My plan was rather unorthodox but I felt it would work if everyone would agree to help me carry it out.

"As you are all aware, many of our men have abandoned us. As time has gone by without anymore information about my father and Freddy's disappearances, these men have taken their loyalties elsewhere and left us with the daunting task of protecting these lands. Many of the surrounding villages are being attached by criminals and thieves. Of course we now know that in all actuality, they're are most likely Von Dane's men. Regardless, of who these men work for, does not change the fact our forces are being stretched too thin. We are not able to protect this land and all those who live here adequately."

I paused and looked at the four men in front of me. They all wore curious expressions and I knew they must be waiting for me to tell them something they didn't know already.

"Well you see, I have had an idea rolling around in my head for some time now and this idea may come across as unusual, but if you will here me out, I believe I can convince you that it will work."

"I'm sure that your plan, whatever it may be, cannot be worse than what we have tried so far." Sir Raulf said encouragingly.

"I think we should offer a training in which we may teach the local men in the villages and those who are interested in learning, self defense skills. As I have come to learn from spending some time with these people, I know that they are frightened and feel helpless. They know we are not able to protect them well enough. Many have tried themselves to stop these attacks and protect their homes and families to no avail. They haven't the skills to fight back."

"My dear," Sir Gregory interjected. "What you propose would take years of training. Most of these people will have never lifted a sword before let alone fight with one."

"I am not suggesting that we teach them to be warriors. Yes, there are those who will not learn these skills as well as others. However, even if we teach them but a few basic ways to defend themselves, is that not better than what we face now?"

"Those that do well, we could then incorporate them into our own diminishing numbers of men." I added.

"Let's say for a moment that we go along with this plan and we train all these commoners how to fight, what happens when one day they decide they don't want to be subject to the laws of the land anymore and rebel?" Sir Raulf interjected.

"Most of these people live simple lives. If they are provided with safety and are dealt with fairly they are happy to live their lives as they always have. But what happens if the situation becomes even more dire and they abandon their homes and leave their plows to find a safer haven? Who is to stop them from running to the Von Dane's for refuge? Who's to say that isn't the Earl's plan? Why he is attacking defenseless people? If there is no one to farm the land and no economy to speak of, because everyone has fled, then little by little he is tearing this land apart. Then it will be his for the taking." I continued to reason with them over the merits of my plan.

While they didn't seem overly fond of my idea they hadn't completely rejected the idea either.

Lord Pennington inquired. "What is you strategy for training all of these men? There are many different forms of self defense. Are you handing them swords and letting them have at it--"

"Of course I have a strategy, That strategy is to train them like my father would. They would learn basic hand to hand combat, with and with out a sword. We would teach them archery as well."

As I continued in my efforts to persuade them my plan would work, I couldn't be sure if they were coming around to the idea.

Suddenly Brom, who had been silent up to that point, interjected. "I think the idea will work, especially if the daughter of Commander D'Lanquet will be in charge. After all, I witnessed firsthand what the man could do in only a few short weeks with untrained and helplessly incompetent soldiers. If his daughter is anything like him, from what I've seen she most certainly is, we shall do the same with these locals."