Chapter 14: Training Day

The first day of training had come. I found myself pacing back and forth in the tilt yard as local men of all ages began to arrive. I silently prayed my plan would work. So far, the men arriving didn't hold a lot of promise. Some were boys who looked as if they barely knew how to chop wood. Their exuberance at the idea of learning how to fight, evident in their faces. Some men were quite old and I wondered if they would have the strength and stamina for the grueling training. There were a few that I hoped would be up to the task, but not many.

We began by handing out red, yellow, and green colored chips to each trainee. Those who received a red chip would train with Brom. Those that received a yellow chip would train with Sir Raulf. Those with a green chip would train with me. For most of the day we would go over basic self defense and test each mans level of skill.

Looking around, I counted twenty-nine men in total. Brom had ten men in his group as did Sir Raulf. I looked over the nine men in my group assessing each trainee. There were a
few younger lads who could not have been older than one and four. However, their youth would be to their advantage if they took the training seriously and paid attention.

Three men I knew. The first was Flen Turk, my favorite blacksmith. He was not a tall man and balding to boot, but he was as burly as they came. He supplied all of my arrows. No one could forge the tips as thin and sharp as he. I was glad to see he was a part of my group, he would at least know his way around a blade.

The next man, I could not remember his name, but I knew him to be a local merchant. He was a middle aged man with a blackish neatly trimmed beard. I wasn't sure how strong he would be or adept at fighting. He mostly dealt in textiles and didn't do much in the way of hard labor.

The other man I knew, was Linny's cousin, Saul. He was a farmer with a wife and two young sons. He was tall and broad. He was a good man and I knew he would do anything to protect his family.

The other men I didn't recognize, one seemed rather frail and I was not sure if he was up to the task. The last two looked like brothers close to the same age. I would have guessed the older of the two to be around my age. They both looked fit and were the most promising out of the group as far as recruits went.

I knew Saul and Flen had their livelihoods and were only here so they could acquire skills to protect their families.

The three young lads introduced themselves as, Harry, William, and Timothy. The merchant's name was Malcom Graves. The brothers enthusiastically introduced themselves as Walton and Cooper. I learned the frail man's name was Clive Weaver.

I knew I could not simply assess these men by their appearance alone. It was time to begin their training, which they seemed anxious to begin themselves.

"For those who may not know who I am. I am Lady Thea D'Lanquet. I will be your instructor. To start with we will be going over some basic self defense techniques. Some of these you may already know, but this will allow us to see each of your abilities." I paused to gauge their reactions.

"We know who thou art my lady, and your reputation doth proceed you." Flen Turk supplied with a gallant bow and I felt myself blush. He was not a refined man and always had a great story to tell when I would come to fetch my arrows.

"Aye," Saul concord with a wide grin.

The men jested at my expense for a moment, and yet I felt no animosity or that they were mocking me, rather they seemed to have respect for my abilities.

With mock severity I replied. "I am glad to see everyone is in high spirits today," a smile playing at the corner of my mouth. "We shall see if you still wish to jest when I am through with you this day." Instantly they all appeared contrite and the mirth of the moment dissipated.

Before I could continue, a gravely voice from behind interrupted. "Pardon my lady--is there a chance you would allow one more man to your group?" I turned to see who spoke and I could not hide the surprise on my face. The old man from Perth, who had spoken up in my defense, stood before me.

I took in his appearance and saw that he wore the same floppy hat that he had the first time I saw him. His white hair hung unkempt partially covering his face. He flicked nervously at his mustache as he waited for my answer.

I could see that he had a bad leg that he favored when he walked. I did not think he was healthy enough to be put through the grueling regiment I had planned for my banned of trainees. I would train these men the only way I knew how, the same way my father had trained me. And this had to be accomplished in only a matter of days. I had a fortnight to produce men proficient enough to add to our ranks, or Sir Gregory would put an end to my mad idea.

"I know you are thinking a crippled old man is a hopeless cause, yet I ask that you give me a chance. I promise I will not be a disappointment." The old man interrupted my thoughts.

Surprised by how forth right he was, I blinked a few times. After regaining my composure, I smiled. "I will not turn anyone away. All should have the opportunity to learn these skills."

"Might I ask your name, good sir?" I inquired after the old man joined our ranks. I noticed after closer inspection that a long jagged scar began just beneath his left eye and continued along his cheek and disappeared into his mustache.

"My name is Warrick, my lady." He informed me.

The morning trolled along slowly. The men while eager to learn, progressed very little. We practiced different scenarios where one would have to fight off an attack. First we practiced dodging an assailant from a frontal attack and then incapacitating him at the same time. I continued to show them many different potential threats and how to gain the upper hand.

By mid morning a few of the men began to show some improvement. Others, however, who were not as quick on their feet, struggled. Realizing they were not improving to the degree I had hoped, I changed my approach. I decided that I needed to focus more on their own strengths and show them how to use that to their advantage.

The brothers, Walton and Cooper were strong and agile. Saul and Flen were large men in their own ways and could easily overpower someone. Malcom, while tall, was not intimidating by stature alone, but with the proper training could use his height to his advantage.

The one that surprised me the most was Warrick. While having a lame leg, he had surprisingly quick reflexes. This made up for any disability and while on foot he would struggle, I had an inkling that a top a horse he would prove formidable.

And so with the rest of the men, while not evenly matched in skill and physical fitness, had strengths all their own.

By late afternoon, the men showed improvement, however, I had yet to test their skills beyond rehearsed movements and foot work. They would have to learn how to think on their feet and adapt to any situation they found themselves in.

By the end of the second day, my group was rapidly progressing. I felt confident that soon I would be able to incorporate wooden practice swords and I would begin to train them in the skill of sword fighting. From there we would try their hand at archery as well.

At one point, Sir Raulf, Brom and I sat in the great hall. We were going over each of the groups. Sir Raulf had three men he felt were progressing the best and had high hopes fore. Brom had four men he was watching closely and a fifth that while he wasn't as adept at hand to hand combat, he felt he would excel in the archery portion. Seven men quit altogether, including Clive Weaver from my group. The ones that remained, we felt would stay through to the end of the training.