Chapter 13: The Market

Jocelyn was interested in visiting the local market and so we found ourselves walking through the quaint market square. Handmade goods lined the narrow streets on wooden carts and makeshift stands. There was a wide array of goods--from produce, to woven baskets, to linens, to wood carvings and much more.

Knowing the local people bartered mostly among themselves, I often purchased items giving them coin in return. I knew the behavior was odd to most, as our tenants lived on land owned by my family and therefore many believed I need not pay for any goods. I knew Sir Gregory did not approve and felt it wasteful to give money to farmers and peasants. I felt however, it was morally wrong to live off the backs of the laborer. Any opportunity to lighten the load of another could only serve to improve the lives of all.

Jocelyn found a stand with lovely children's caps and booties. "Oh Thea, look at this wonderfully ridiculous cap. Wouldn't little Liam be simply dashing wearing this?" She exclaimed in delight. The cap was made of tanned leather and had fine stitching along the brim and a crimson feather adorned the top of the hat. She continued to peruse amongst the children's clothing and seemed to love every bootie or cap she picked up.

Through the crowd I caught a glimpse of a young lady. Her long black hair, plaited in a braid down her back, was unmistakable. I had to speak to her, but I did not want to abandon Jocelyn. Brom and Lord Pennington were with the local blacksmith having their blades sharpened. They were to meet us shortly but I knew not how long they would be.

"Jocelyn, would you mind terribly if I speak to a friend briefly?" I asked.

"Of course not, l dare say I shall be quite content to look over these lovely wares for sometime." She responded cheerfully. I had to smile to myself. Little Liam was Jocelyn's whole world and accessorizing the lad was obviously her favorite past time.

Feeling slightly guilty for leaving Jocelyn alone, I made my way through the people milling about. For a moment I thought I had missed the girl but finally found her sitting on a wooden bench. She wore a simple linen dress, yet even with her plain clothing she was very lovely. From a large pail next to her she pulled out long thin strips of wicker that had been soaking in the water to make it soft and pliant. For a moment I watched as she began to weave the wicker into a partially formed basket. I was impressed at her skill and with the beautiful design she wove.

Finally I approached her. "Linny." I said her name and waited for her to look up from her work. When she saw me she jumped with a start and then after gathering her composure she gave me a little smile and inquired. "How are you my lady?"

Rolling my eyes and snorting a little, I sat down next to her. "Linny, I've already told you I wish you to call me by my given name." I sighed exasperated.

"I know--it's just been some time since I have seen you and well I suppose I wasn't sure..."She trailed off. She went back to her weaving and we said nothing for a moment.

"Linny, I found something the other day." I unhooked the cord from around my neck and let my brother's locket fall into my hands. Linny looked at it with confusion and I realized that maybe my brother had not told her about the locket before.

"I found this in the woods a few days back, and well it's the first sign of Freddy I have found but I thought you should have this." I knew I was rambling but I could not help it. I suddenly wasn't sure if giving her the locket would be comforting or only a painful reminder of him. She had never confessed her feelings for my brother to me, but I knew she cared for him.

I held the locket out to her and she tentatively took it from me. "Look inside." I instructed her to open the locket. She hesitated a moment and finally placing her thumb nail along the seam and worked the locket open. The neatly tied hair fell out onto her lap and she began to shake. I put my arm around her soothingly and tried to comfort her.

"I didn't know he had this." She managed between sobs. "I remember when he cut this piece of my hair--he said he would keep it with him always. I didn't believe him. How could I? I'm a commoner and he was a lord and I thought he was only flirting with me. I never actually believed he truly cared for me."

Squeezing her hand I said." He used to tell me everything. I knew he wore this around his neck and he never removed it. He cares for you very much and I guarantee he his doing everything in his power to make it back to you." I insisted.

She shook her head. "Thea, I know you want him to be alive, I do too. I dream he walks through my door and sweeps me into his arms--but It is a foolish dream. If he were alive he would have been found by now. I can't hold onto foolish hopes that will never come true--"

I tried to protest but she would not let me finish. "No, Thea, even if he was somehow still alive, it would not matter. There could never be anything more between us. I have noting to offer him and you know as well as I, he would be required to marry a woman of title."

"Liten to me!" I insisted. "My brother would have gone to the ends of the earth for you and I know that he will continue to do just that. I know that everyone thinks I am clinging to false hopes, that I should just accept that they are dead. But I feel so strongly that he and my father are alive! I will not give up on them, just as you cannot give up on Freddy. Trust that I will find then. For I will never give up!" I placed the hair back in the locket and snapped it shut. Returning the locket to her, I went on. "Keep this. He would want you to know how he felt."

She stared at the locket, but said nothing. Then silently put it around her neck.

As I walked away, I felt miserable. I thought I was doing the right thing by giving Linny the locket, and now I wondered if I had only made things worse. I felt angry too. Why was I the only one who hadn't given up?

I made my way back to Jocelyn, hoping I had not been gone too long. She was not where I had left her and I quickly scanned the other stands and carts hoping to find her milling about the market. I heard my name being called and turned, Jocelyn, with skirts in hand, ran to me.

"Oh there you are!" She exclaimed. "I'm afraid I am not a very patient person and I thought I would for looking for you." She continued sheepishly "I have to admit I was rather diverted by all the amazing things for sell. I didn't have any money to pay for the little boy's cape with the red feather, but merchant said she would exchange it for one of my embroidered handkerchiefs. I hope it was a fair trade but it is made from the finest material and the thread from silk."

I smiled at her exuberance. She was the most sincere person I had ever met and seemed to bring out the best in everyone. I realized how cynical and brooding I had become of late and hoped one day I would feel so carefree again.