Chapter 2: New Friends

I turned to the woman and her child, still on Genevieve's back. She was trying to sooth her little boy. He was understandably terrified from the ordeal.

"Thank you for coming to our rescue" She said in a shaky voice. "If not for you-oh I hate to think what would have happened!"

"I am sorry for what you have endured, but am grateful we could be of service." I replied.

The noblewoman introduced herself as Lady Pennington. "My husband, Lord Pennington, and I are in your debt." She insisted.

One of the bodyguards made his way over to Lady Pennington and in a swift motion pulled her and the child into his arms and set them gently on the ground. Lady Pennington and the bodyguard embraced and for a moment I was confused. I finally came to the realization that he must be Lord Pennington.

Up ahead I saw the man who I had incorrectly assumed was Lady Pennington's husband, with the team of horses and carriage coming toward us. He had been able to calm and take control of the runaway horses.

"If you are Lord Pennington, then who is the man dressed as a nobleman?" Indicating the man driving the carriage.

"That is my man, Brom Randolph. It was on my orders that he pose as me. I find the deception allows me to better protect my family and my men." Lord Pennington replied.

"Now that I have answered your question, may inquire as to who you are? Your timely assistance is very much appreciated and I wish to thank you all properly." His Lordship continued.

Lord Pennington was an average looking man and yet he had a very distinguished look about him that could not be ignored. He continued to hold his wife and child close and I could tell he cared for them deeply.

" I am Lady Thea D'Lanquet, and this is Sir Greg--"

"D'Lanquet? Are you Commander D'Lanquet's daughter?" Brom Randolph interrupted abruptly.

I frowned at his rudeness. He was a tall man I could see now that he was standing before me. He had an overbearing presence and next to Lord Pennington, the contrast could not have been stronger. While his lordship was nearly as tall as Brom Randolph, Lord Pennington had a kindness about him that Brom Randolph did not. He had a perpetual frown and seemed as ill tempered as cooks cat, when out of cream.

"Aye, he is my father. Although he has not gone by that title for several years now." I answered in a measured tone.

Turning to Lord and Lady Pennington I continued. "May I suggest we continue introductions elsewhere. I'm certain you wish to see to your family and men. You are welcome at Dilston Manor for as long as you need while you recover from this encounter. The journey is not long. We should arrive at Dilston Manor before nightfall if we make haste."

"My lady," Sir Gregory said addressing me. "There is something I think you should see before we leave. There is a tattoo or marking on the dead thief's hand I believe you will care to see."

I bent over the thief's body and scrutinized his hand. On the high point of his palm, was a crescent shaped moon with three smaller stars next to the moon. While I found the tattoo peculiar, I did not see it's relevance.

"I have seen this mark before, my lady. The Earl Von Dane's most trusted men wear the mark as a symbol of their loyalty." Sir Gregory informed me.

I felt helpless fury wash over me at his words. There was no denying the bad blood that had existed between the Von Dane family and ours for many years now. Part of me had wondered if they could be involved in any way with these random attacks or even be involved in their disappearance. Now it seemed my worst fears had been confirmed.

"The hand is evidence bring it with us." I said in as steady of a voice as possible and then turned away from the body. I had to stay calm and focus on the situation at hand.

The injured men were prepared for travel and the area was searched once more for any sign of the "thieves" or Von Dane's men. No one dared search too far into the woods. Even Lord and Lady Pennington and his men, unfamiliar with the tales of the Briar, seemed uneasy.

We made it to the glade close to dusk. The relief was evident on all of our countenances. The small creek flowing through the meadow was perfect for watering the horses and we let the injured men rest for a time.

No one seemed inclined to speak or have a conversation; as we were all exhausted from the excitement of the day. There was an unspoken agreement to hold all explanations until everyone had arrived safely at Dilston Manor. even the ill-tempered Brom Randolph, albeit grumbling, kept to himself.

As we mounted our horses to leave, I felt the same unsettling chill wash over me as I had earlier in the woods. Only this time, the feeling was much more intense. I looked back toward the darkening forest and my breath caught in my throat. I blinked several times to be sure I was not imagining what I saw. Just at the line of trees I thought I saw the figure of an old woman; her image slightly blurred by the dark forest behind her. Yet, as my gaze settled on her face, I could see her eyes, blue as ice, staring intently at me. I gasped out loud in surprise and she gave me an eerie smile.

"Are you all right, my lady?" Sir Gregory asked from behind me.

"Do you see her?" I asked turning toward him, but as my gaze returned to where the woman had been, no one was there.

"Ah Thea, I do believe we have spent far too long in those woods today, "Come..." He said with a fatherly squeeze on my shoulder, "We must get you safely home. From now on I think it best if we avoid the Briar all together. Now that we know who is behind thee attacks we shouldn't have a need."

I pondered on what Sir Gregory said and almost confessed to what I had found earlier. I told him and the other men that I had found some tracks but that was not entirely true. I had found something else. Reaching into my pocket, I clutched the cord in my hand. I knew it was my brothers for he always wore it around his neck. Attached to the cord was a locket that contained strands of silky black hair tied in a knot. The hair belonged to my brother's secret love, the love that he never said goodbye to before he disappeared.

AN: This image I found is how I picture Thea.