Chapter 20: An Unexpected Proposal

After everything that Brom and I had discussed, I was sure he was innocent of any involvement of the plot against my family. Fern had said I should trust my instincts and I felt certain Brom was being truthful with me. I believe it also spoke to his astuteness that after only a short time at Dilston Manor, he had come to the same conclusions that I had only recently reached. I wondered if I should tell him about Sir Raulf and the hooded figure. Furthermore, should I tell him about Fern and my strange experience at her cottage?

These questions plagued me, as I rode toward my favorite grove of trees. Although, my reasons for going were not for reminiscing over my childhood, rather I had a specific purpose. It had occurred to me during the night as I tossed and turned in bed, that it was possible Sir Raulf or the mystery man had left a clue. I wasnt sure what I was looking for or if I would know what it was if I found it, but I wouldnt lose anything by searching the area.

As the ruins came into view, I felt slightly apprehensive. The night before when I had followed Sir Raulf, I had been focused on what he was doing and hadn't gave much thought to my frightening experience when I was younger. Now, as I dismounted Genevieve, I felt myself shiver slightly. My logical mind told me that nothing truly bad had happened that day, and that a few bats would never have hurt me. But the child in me could not forget how terrified I had been.

Swallowing, I forced myself to focus on the task at hand. I found where I had hid the night before behind the crumbling half wall. I noticed an impression in the dirt from where I had been crouching. I mentally scolded myself for being so careless and leaving evidence that I had been there. I found some tracks that I was sure belonged to the hooded man and followed them. Unfortunately, they faded and disappeared leading me nowhere.

Frustrated, I sat down on the ground and stared up at the abbey. It seemed to be mocking me. As if it too held secrets that it would never reveal. Tears streaming down my face I buried my head in my arms, hugging my legs to me. I felt overwhelmed and completely hopeless. I don't know how long I sat there in my miserable state but when I started to hear Freddys voice, I knew I must be losing my mind. I could hear him calling for help, the image of him trapped somewhere frightened me. That image was all I needed to shake me from my self pity. There I was feeling sorry for myself and Freddy needed me to be strong, not crumble and fall apart like the old abbey.

Not wanting to be questioned for being gone for too long, I hurried back home. There was much that needed to be done, and I knew I was running out of time. I decided I would tell Brom about Sir Raulf, but I would not say anything just yet, about Fern.

I searched for him everywhere. I checked the tilt yard to see if he was training. Then I looked in the stables and he wasnt there either. He was nowhere inside that I could see. Finally, frustrated I gave up looking for him.

Walking through the courtyard, I heard someone call my name. Turing, I saw Sir Gregory walking toward me. He was smiling, and took my hand in his and kissed it lightly as he bowed. I was not sure what to think. While he was chivalrous at times, he always acted more like a father toward me. His demeanor over the last few weeks had been on the stern side and I knew he wasn't happy with my behavior in many ways.

He must have noticed my questioning look, for he shook his head sheepishly.

"Thea my dear, I fear I owe you an apology. I have been very hard on you lately and I know my manner has been less than pleasant. It has only been because I have worried about you. I would feel terrible if something happened to you. I feel responsible for your safety, most especially in light of everything that has happened."

Shaking my head I replied. "Sir Gregory, I realize what a burden you carry. I know that we haven't always seen eye to eye, and that I cause you to worry at times; but I am only trying to help ease the load you must be carrying."

To my surprise, he began to laugh and took a hold of my arms in a fatherly way. "What a pair we are." He finally said. "Here I am trying to do the very same for you. I only want what is best for you my dear. I know how much you have suffered and yet you have courageously faced it all."

"I have done what I've had to do." I replied modestly.

Considering me for a time, Sir Gregory shook his head gravely. "I know I can always count on you, to do what needs to be done. You are very wise for one so young and make decisions based on what is best for everyone and not just for you alone."

Not sure what he was indicating precisely, my gaze narrowed at his words. "What is it you think I should do Sir Gregory?"

Sighing loudly, Sir Gregory clasped his hands behind his back. "It has been so long since your father and Frederick disappeared. I know you have clung to the hope that we would find them, so have I. Believe me, Thea, I more than anyone else wish there was a way to make that happen."

"Unfortunately, you must begin to think of the future. There is too much at stake and I fear for the future of Dilston Manor. Thea, everyone will look to you to marry and marry well."

I opened my mouth to protest but he silenced my words. "Thea, I realize this is not want you want to think about, but I fear you must. The sooner you marry the better." He insisted.

Coolly I asked, "and who exactly did you have in mind, another wealthy land owner. The duke of Gallaway perhaps, or maybe Lord Von Dane, or maybe Brom, after all, if it is only a marriage needed, who does it matter I marry?" I knew I was behaving like a child but I could not help it. I knew one day this subject was sure to be brought up, but it was sooner than I expected. How could he expect me to marry now? Somehow I had to convince him that now was not the right time, but I knew Sir Gregory to be as stubborn as I and if he was convinced I should marry, then he would not let it go easily.

He appeared to be keeping his temper in check, but I noticed by his pulsing temple, that he was not at all amused with my impertinence. Quickly his countenance changed and he smiled at me in a rather patronizing way. "I do not understand why you protest at the idea of having a husband? After all, think of the burden that would be lifted from your shoulders. You never struck me as the love sick sort so why should you resist?"

"Sir Gregory, I am not saying that I would never consider marriage, I understand my responsiblity and I dont take that lightly, however, I do not feel that this is the right time to make such a drastic decision. What will you do? If I were to marry someone with a title, how would you fit into the equation? What if my husband wished to supply his own men? After all if I was to marry and said husband were to inherit Dilston Manor and all her lands, he could make any changes he wished to." I insisted. I had hoped if I made a marriage seem unfavorable to him, I could persuade him to change his mind.

"That is true, Thea." He stated matter of fact. "I do not wish for anything to change and I would not take kindly to being ousted and forced from Dilston Manor, it is my home as well and I can promise you I will do everything in my power to fight for her." There was an edge to his voice as he spoke and I suddenly felt uneasy.

"Thea, what I am suggesting, rather what I am hoping to convince you..."he trailed off as if unsure how to finish. I stared at him blankly.

"Might you consider marrying me?"