Chapter Forty-One | Second World

Start from the beginning

Plus, now as an Omega, he could probably relate? If this world was going to change its views, then the change had to first come from the children.

"Excuse me?" Finally, Hisaya looked round and spotted a woman who was drying her hands with a small towel, she clearly wasn't expecting anyone. Which made him doubt that he'd got the day right. The woman was an older version of what he remembered.

And the woman who took time out to write the letters in the past. Ayako Chiharu, a beta woman who through thick and thin refused to give-up. After inheriting the land from her parents, which came hand-in-hand with bountiful debts, she opened it as an orphanage and, later on, a charity. All whilst struggling to keep food on the table.

As a woman who couldn't have children of her own, she selflessly took in all the children that were looked upon by their parents in disgust due to the meagre issue of them being Omegas. And she never looked back. She dedicated every given moment to helping those in her care, which made appointments slipping her mind understandable.

Hisaya smiled, "Miss, I'm a little early for our appointment."

As expected, the older woman blanked, but he could see when she suddenly remembered as her expression completely changed. "Oh— oh my! I'm terribly sorry, ah—! Look at the state of me.." She became flustered, looking down at herself wearing a dirty apron.

He would have been more concerned if she was wearing luxury clothing.

Shaking his head, "There's no need to apologise, if anything I'm the one who's sorry." He slowly approached her, but she was just confused.

"What on earth for?"

"For disappearing, and then not responding to your letters." He spoke tentatively, wondering if she would remember him from that. Hisaya, when he was in his early teens, had slipped through those broken doors with little else but the clothes on his back. Day after day, week after week he became withdrawn. Detesting himself, his life and everyone around him. He had to escape.

"His— Hisaya?" She lifted her calloused hand, hovering over his cheek, before pulling her hand back. Seeing how clean he was, how unblemished, she didn't want to ruin that. Which acted like a punch in Hisaya's gut.

He took her hand in his own and squeezed affectionately. Though he wouldn't force her, because it was clear she appeared very reluctant to dirty him he wanted her to know that he appreciated her.

"Un. I didn't tell you it was me coming to visit because I didn't want to upset you, but it seems I've managed to do that regardless." She was sobbing, big blobs falling down her cheeks, but she still chuckled and smiled.

"You know me, I'm a cry-baby. But I'm so happy to see you, Hisaya-kuma*." [ Means 'bear' ]

"Yeesh, I see that name's still sticking." He recalled all the times the little bratty Hisaya Reo scoffed at the name, repeatedly telling the woman how stupid it was. For someone who was already struggling with the fact that he was at the bottom of the food-chain, then being nicknamed after something the woman found cute was a little demeaning.

"I suppose it's a little...outdated." Ayako suddenly became sullen but he quickly reassured her that it was alright to call him that. She remarked about how he had turned into a fine young man. When they finished their quick catching-up, it was then that Hisaya revealed that he wanted his old orphanage, subsequently their charity, as the one his company endorses.

Needless to say, she was happy, then confused, then happy again.

She also understood, that due to the volatile situation with the media and the well-known businessman that he was targeting, this arrangement had to be kept hush-hush for the time being. Following that, Ayako led him towards the new dining area. They once used the large hall, but due to the many leakages and extensive water-damage, it just wasn't possible to stay in the room for a certain amount of time.

Nor was it healthy.

They were now using one of the back rooms of the old mansion. Which is why no one was there to greet him when he first arrived. As well as eating, the children's beds and cots were also to the back of the building. The only place where there was little warmth.

As they got closer, the distinct sound of the odd pot and pan clanging told Hisaya that there was actually more life in this depressive place. Ayako was the first to walk into the room, greeting the children with a smile, and Hisaya followed behind.

He was, at least, relieved to see there weren't as many children here as there once was, back in the day. Now, huddled around one table were only a handful of kids. Two or three of them looked like they were in their early-teens, which as Hisaya recalled, was the most troublesome time for any Omega.

Big, round eyes turned to look at him and he stopped. Amongst all of the children, there was a common theme. They all owned delicate features, with an air of fragility about them. They were gorgeous children, who shouldn't be living in such conditions. But at a young age, they didn't know anything else, so they chomped on their beans happily. Whilst the older ones, the teens, their expressions were more sullen.

They knew what was out there, but couldn't understand why they were treated so differently. Ayako, she always kept them relatively sheltered, making sure they were never within earshot of hateful slurs. It's only when the children turn a certain age, when she let them watch television and read newspapers, were they exposed to the controversial world they lived in.

"Children, I'd like to introduce you to someone special," Ayako was practically beaming, "This is Hisaya Reo, he used to live here too."

"Ooo—wahh" The young ones exclaimed with big eyes, making him smile at how cute the little buns were.

"He owns a successful company, and he wants to work with us." She tried to explain as simply as possible.

"Work with us? How?" One of the teens asked without hesitation, earning a look from Ayako. Ah, the woman was a stickler for manners.

"Well, for starters, I'm going to find you somewhere to sleep that doesn't have holes in the roof." Hisaya offered, giving the young and understandably angry boy, a warm expression. Living in such an environment, one would undoubtedly learn quick not to trust anyone, which is the mindset he had to break.

The same young-teen was sceptical, unlike those around him who had fallen for the strangers charm. "And what do you want in return?"

Smart boy, Hisaya admitted. "To have the opportunity to show you all that just because we're Omegas does not mean we're weak."

That seemed to do the trick, the slight twinkle in the boys eye, the longing for something different. Although Hisaya had to admit, his teachings weren't likely to be praised by Ayako, especially when he eventually intends to teach them that their current position, seen as unthreatening Omegas, can be used to their advantage.

[ TBC ]

[ *1 — Kuma or くま means 'bear'. I wanted a little pet-name for Hisaya, for a cute scene later on in this arc. ]

[ Hello! As requested in the previous chapter by a lovely reader, they want a little name chart of whose who. Memorise them, because there'll be a quiz! (Jkdontpanic)

In order of appearance:

Hisaya Reo | OMEGA | is Fahren / Shu Ning.

Yoshiaki Kenta | BETA | is Assistant / Security

Kazuki Hiromasa | ALPHA | is Dickhea— CEO of empire. (Antagonist)

Noriaki Fumi | OMEGA | Once had a job at Kazuki Hiromasa's company but left due to constant abuse.

Ayako Chiharu | BETA | is Omega orphanage owner/ charity owner. Used to care for Hisaya too.

Unnamed sexy man | ALPHA | ????

Hope that helps if you're a little confused. Also, for any eager-beavers — Chapter's Forty-Two and Forty-Three are already on Patreon! [ Link to Patreon page in my bio ] <3!