Chapter 12

A/N: I deeply apologize for not publishing for months guys. Because of my seasonal depression, my lack of motivation is worse in the winter and fall. It's spring now, I won't promise more content but I'll try my hardest to crank things out for you guys. (Keep in mind I also have school. RIP)

I'm sorry for the short chapter. But hopefully it will suffice. Enjoy guys, and thank you all for being patient and so kind!

__

Cold beads of sweat dripped from (Y/n)'s face. With the intensity of each punch she threw, she knew it wouldn't be enough, but somehow doing so made her feel... lesser. Those who were doing their own thing in the gym only watched as they saw the young girl attempt to punch the sandbag with all her might.

"Keep that up and you might start to worry little ol' me." The familiar southern accent commented. (Y/n)  steadied her punching to a stop, but she didn't look at him. It wasn't too long ago when the Blackwatch medic had just been given her first assignment—out on the field.

It was after she was called to the debriefing room by Commander Reyes. Her heart nearly pounded out of her chest as she sat on the uncomfortable chair around a large oval table, staring up at her superior.

It happened so fast, and she had no say in it. The commander eyed everyone in the room until they landed on hers. His eyes narrowed, but she couldn’t tell if he was speculating something for just expressing disapproval. She would have had a breakdown if it wasn't for the fact that Jesse was sitting beside her. She didn't feel anything romantic toward him, no. She saw him as a big brother to her who always looked out for her, and was the first to accept her, besides Angela.

"Agents," Commander Reyes said with sternness in his voice that could make anyone cry. "This isn't a death-defying mission, a team was dispatched several days ago. Communications were cut two days ago. Your job is to get in there and figure out what happened. We just need information first before we go in too deep, and any action taken beyond will likely be punished. After that, we make our next move."

So then why was she going? If this wasn't a mission that required any medical aid, why bring her in the first place?

Before she could continue her thoughts, Jesse answered what she had been thinking. "Don't worry too much, kiddo. Reyes does this with all the new guys—he chooses easy missions for them to ‘debut’ on so they aren’t pissinthemself on a high-tension mission. Plus, y’know, just in case, right?”

(Y/n) thought about it for a moment. It made sense; especially with Blackwatch's dastardly reputation for getting hurt. Her nerves didn’t settle for one second, but she logically knew that nothing would happen.

Jesse glanced down and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, squeezing it comfortingly. "Ain't nothin gonna happen (Y/n). I promise you. We’ll stop by that diner with Angela after this is all over, yeah?”

Finally facing away from the punching bag, (Y/n) glumly looked up at her team captain. Yeah, Jesse finally got a team to boss around.

“Y’all had to take away the gun you were training with because I was so bad. How exactly am I supposed to feel good about this mission?” (Y/n) half-complained, but didn’t want to sound too ungrateful if the commander was lurking about.

Jesse snorted, tossing a water bottle at her face. “Drop the southern accent, sis. It don’t suit ya.”

Fumbling with the cap, (Y/n) muttered something about Jesse rubbing off on her and it ‘wasn’t her fault.’

“And ya ain’t using a gun, are ya? It’s just intel, we won’t even see anyone else there since everything’s mapped out. You’ll do fine, we’ll have another team in the building with us and one more outside, what could happen?”

“Famous last words.”

Finally, it was time to depart. The team that would be leaving that night was told to meet at the loading bay where they would board a ship.