Chapter 8

A/N: Hey guys, were here with another update, yay! So if you haven't already guessed by now, yes, this is a very, very slow and painful burn. This story will be filled with a crap ton of angst. So it will be a while before we get to the romance, but I assure you it'll all be worth it.

-

(Y/n) quietly hooked up the machinery to Genji, occasionally glancing up at his eyes. At a closer range, they were much closer to a cognac swirled with chestnut. She had to continuously scold herself whenever she found herself becoming trapped in their surprising warmth.

Tiredly rubbing her eyes, she almost grumbled at him for making her do a checkup in the middle of the night. Almost.

"I need to you take off the..." (Y/n) trailed off when Genji slid off the mask covering his jaw.

Or rather, what was left of it.

"Oh my God," (Y/n) said, unable to stop staring. His throat was completely metal, red lines seared into the skin all around. One side of his lower face was gone, with a few exposed wires when the metal plates ended. She would have to fix that soon. (Y/n) remembered the metallic undertone his voice took when she first heard him speak, and nearly burst into tears when she realized the damage caused by his own brother.

A flare of scarlet bled into Genji's eyes, drawing (Y/n)'s gaze back up.

She looked back down, clenching her jaw and going back to her work.

"We're almost done."

More silence, and (Y/n)'s stomach twisted with every second, every glance. She felt like she was crossing an unspoken boundary.

"You must be Dr. (Y/n)," a sultry voice commented, freezing (Y/n) in her movements. "Not what I expected."

(Y/n) pressed a few buttons before turning around and spotting the source of the voice, mouth drying up a little at another towering figure. She wore a white lab coat just like her, with a purple tie, and a black button-up shirt. It was normal until (Y/n) saw how unsettlingly long her nails were, and how she had unnatural purple veins forming around her hands and forearms. Most of all, the way she carried her self with dignity and sophistication was rather... Intimidating.

"Sorry, I knew I should've gotten a tattoo before joining," (Y/n) smarted, automatically trying to match the woman's posture and please her.

It didn't work.

The woman sent an unimpressed look, raising an eyebrow and scanning (Y/n) up and down. "I am Moira."

(Y/n) awkwardly shuffled back to her work flicking a switch and unplugging some chords.

"Nice to meet you," (Y/n) tossed a small smile over her shoulder. (Y/n) was feeling her self-become uneasy with the new presence in the room. Of all the people in Overwatch; Jesse, Commander Reyes, even Genji, there was something about Moira that made her feel uneasy. Perhaps it was how she held her head high in comparison to her own timid self.

(Y/n) was slowly getting lost in her thoughts when she heard Moira approaching from behind, seemingly observing how she operated. "My dear, I don't mean to intrude on your work, I am simply surprised with how well you are adapting to a place that was never meant for the faint of the heart such as yourself."

(Y/n) was caught off guard by Moira's comment. Although it seemed innocent enough, (Y/n) detected a hint of distaste, turning around to face the towering woman with an astonished look, "Pardon?"

Moira traced her fingers along the machine connected to Genji and smirked. "It is clear in the way you move and speak. You were never meant for this line of work. In fact," Moira looked at the girl from the corner of her eyes with a sharp judgemental gaze.

"One could say you are hopelessly trying to impress those that you know will never see you as their equal." (Y/n) had stopped what she was doing altogether and froze. "Was I correct?" Genji was watching everything unfold and smirked. (Y/n) saw his sneer and felt her heart clench.

(Y/n) continued her work on Genji, silent. She spent years crying, and it was time to stop.

"Hm... How disappointing." Moira and Genji seemed to lock eyes for a moment. His pupil shrank at the woman, making her smirk in amusement. She turned on her heels and walked swiftly out of the room as if she was never there. (Y/n) had let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding.

It was soon that she realized that Moira was right. She was trying to impress people who she knew would never see her as her equal. It's been like this for as long as she could remember. Possibly the only one who has given her a chance was Angela. She was like the sister she never had.

(Y/n) finally finished unhooking Genji from the machine. He had slid his metal mouthpiece back on and once (Y/n) slid some paperwork back in place as Genji stood up, rolled his shoulder and peered at her. (Y/n) wanted nothing more than to see what he was thinking.

"Moira is right." He said, "To think Commander Reyes was desperate enough for a medic he chose someone feeble and weak minded." A gasp almost bubbled up from (Y/n)'s throat, but it was too constricted. Those were words that her own father would have said about her. Feeble. Weak minded. Hearing someone else say it only hurts ten times worse.

Genji scoffed and had disappeared out the door without another word.

Later that morning, several Blackwatch agents found (Y/n) in the training room, punching one of the giant sandbags over and over. Her fists hurt like hell, but nothing like how her heart and mind felt. They were practically breaking at the seams. A few looked on concerned, while others were having a ball seeing the pitiful medic trying to slam her fist into the heavy bag.

Red hot anger replaced her sadness. She was doing it because she was tired of fearing people. She wanted to be seen as an equal. She wanted to be respected. She couldn't do that if every word she spoke came out in hushed whispers.

She had been so caught up in her own thoughts that she hadn't realized the figure standing behind her. Everyone had left the room at his command, but she was oblivious. "What are you doing here." It wasn't a question, he was demanding an answer. The voice startled (Y/n), but she had learned who it was by now and quickly stood in a respectful salute stance. "Commander Reyes." He wasn't impressed.

"I asked a question, what are you doing here. This room is for training purposes. Not medics who need to be at their post in the clinic." (Y/n) met his eyes, almost quaking in her uniform. If there was any time to practice dignity, it was now. She quickly replied before he got too impatient. "Sir, I was simply blowing off steam."

Reyes was just as good as reading people as Moira, and he could see there was more to this then what was being said. However, he had little interest in what was going on with the Blackwatch medic. "Get back to your duties, doctor."

"Yes, sir." (Y/n) left the commander in the training room, footfalls heavier than ever.