42. I Do

a/n: like the music selection? ;) see u on the other side, babes <3

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e8608d27e5125ccdc0be93d02069cbe0/tumblr_pjci437XPQ1vpo16qo1_400.jpg

Keith

I stood nervously at the trellis, trying my best to listen to the waves to calm my nerves. Looking over the crowd, I breathed deeply, trying to slow my hammering heart. To my left, rows of black folding chairs were filled with my companions, my friends, my family.

I spotted Ulaz and Thace, the right-hand men of Kolivan (the leader of the Blade) who also happened to be my adoptive 'gay uncles', a title they claimed for themselves. They were grinning toothily at me and I could imagine Thace whispering to his husband, "I told you he'd end up gay."

Just a few seats away from them sat Kolivan himself, chatting busily with the woman who I now knew as Krolia, my sort-of mom. I desperately wanted to meet her but hadn't had time to before the ceremony began. I knew that Dad had talked with her, though, explaining the whole situation, and her eyes kept flicking up to where I stood, a curious, kind expression on her face.

The rest of the Blade occupied most of the seats in the back, so my eyes traveled to the front of the seats. There were four seats reserved in front for Dad, the Twins, and Acxa, but behind those seats sat Lotor and the other three generals. Lotor was talking with the women in a relaxed manner, looking infuriatingly dashing in his black suit, but I brushed off my annoyance quickly, determined not to get distracted by my half-brother.

My eyes shifted over to the angels. I noticed several people I knew- Pidge, Coran, Rover, Shay, and offered them a small wave. Behind them, surrounded by stunningly bright, laughing angels. I picked out Allura, our florist. Her eyes traveled over the two crowds in awe, a small smile on her lips. I added her to my growing list of people I wanted to get to know better.

It was then that I noticed that Allura wasn't the only one observing the two crowds- it seemed like everyone casually shot glances over to the other side of the aisle. I reminded myself that angels and devils rarely- if ever- had contact with each other and it was probably foreign to them, seeing their opposites so close.

Suddenly, I picked up on soft music. My eyes darted away from the crowds to a small string quartet over to the side of the crowd, their halos gleaming in the afternoon sunlight. As if wanting to hear the music itself, the ocean waves seemed to quiet, letting the music flow over the beach.

It was, in every way, heavenly. I never knew that something so small, so plain as a few stringed instruments could make such a beautiful sound. The crowd silenced as the song began to pick up a sweet, beautiful melody. I felt it in my soul.

A new aura entered the mix and I looked up. There, walking down from the white tent, came the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen.

Lux.

I had only met her briefly, and then, she'd been all frazzled and excited with Lance, barely staying a few minutes. But even then, I'd known who she was the instant I'd seen her. She had the kind of beauty that made you double-take every time you looked at her.

And now, here she was, walking gracefully down the sand in a pale gold capelet dress, eyes set, her aura washing over the crowd like the tide behind me. My eyes flicked from my mother-in-law to the devils who sat in the seats and was a little embarrassed to see that they all had an awe-struck look on their faces as Lux floated down the aisle, her wings fluttering gently in the breeze that came off the ocean.

She came to stand next to me, where a priest would normally stand, and smiled warmly. Instantly, I felt my father's presence and looked up to the black tent. He emerged similarly to Lux, head held high, proud and strong. His own wings were semi-spread, enough to show their size but still closed enough to not look arrogant.