40. A Bond of Bright

(a/n: the pic is what I imagine whenever I write about kuron^^)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/401875966732688166/

Keith

[Several months later]

The ceremony was going to be perfect. True, it had been a little short notice (well, actually very short notice). Also true, I was scared out of my mind. But I knew that, even still, it would be perfect.

A little more than two months ago, when Lance and I had been snug in our apartment, working things out in the Midworld, Lux had paid us a visit.

"I think it's only appropriate that we have a ceremony," she'd said in reference to Lance and I finally being together.

We'd both thought that she'd meant a wedding and, although she had initially intended it to only be a little get-together where we said vows and whatnot, she was perfectly happy turning the whole thing into a big affair, complete with cake.

I'd never seen a real wedding, let alone planned one, but she and Lance worked themselves up into this happy frenzy. Lance had kissed my brow and smiled, telling me that he'd handle everything, before he and Lux were whisked up to the Upperworld.

Since then, Lance had been anxiously excited, planning this and that and the other thing and, frankly, I felt useless, but as I tried to help out more and more, I began to realize how much it meant to him.

Lance was a romantic, I knew that. He liked big gestures and passion, which I could certainly respect, even if it wasn't totally my own style. I regulated the progress of the planning via the questions he asked me. It started with the big questions, like where I wanted the ceremony to be, where I wanted to honeymoon, who I wanted to invite, and then got more and more nitpicky, down to the flowers and cake and time.

I knew that Lance still felt guilty about me taking the Trials- he saw it as me giving up a part of myself for him, but I insisted that it didn't change anything besides the amount of time I could spend in the Underworld. And he didn't understand that I would give anything to be with him.

After passing the Trials, I'd felt like everything I knew to be my own emotions changed. Everything got more intense. My anger, my sadness, my guilt, it all became so much more clear instead of the muddled mess it had been before. And with those emotions came so many new feelings that I'd never known to exist. Passion as I kissed Lance, kindness as I understood my father and his own emotions, and, of course, love.

Waking up next to Lance that morning after the Trials, I'd pressed a hand to my chest and felt the rhythmic beat below my palm. And looking down at the angel, I'd felt a flood of happiness and affection that caught me off-guard. Unfortunately, I started crying, and Lance freaked out, thinking that he'd done something wrong.

But he had done the opposite. Lance had saved me. He'd cared for me and understood me and forgiven me over and over and to him, I owed everything. He'd set me free and I couldn't put it into words how much it meant to me. That morning and every morning since I'd told him I'd loved him because I could and I did.

Yes, I was still moody and blunt and sometimes a bit dark, but I was able to find a sincere side of me, a part of me that had been hidden.

Anyway, back to the wedding. Or ceremony. Or whatever it was. I knew that mortals usually waited years of being in a relationship together to get married, but Lux had insisted that the ceremony was definitely not a traditional wedding.

"You are prophesied to be together, but if anything happens and you two decide to break apart or stop being together, you're free to do that. The ceremony is a symbolic gesture that shows that you'll always be bonded, not specifically by a romantic relationship. It could've just been a friendship."