22. Somewhere to Stay

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqIlABVA14Q/?utm_source=ig_share
_sheet&igshid=1uqswjev47n11

Keith

California had been hot. Hawaii had been humid. But the warm, heavy air that slid around me like a blanket as I stepped from the ramp out into the airport felt like heaven. I breathed a sigh of relief- finally, we were here. Stop number 4. Lance, walking slowly in front of me, stretched his arms out above him, rolling his head to stretch out his neck after spending so long slouched in his seat.

Turning around to me, he grinned. "Welcome to Samoa! Your island paradise that will fulfill your dreams."

I slowly looked around the airport, taking everything in. It was nighttime out, but that didn't seem to lower the temperature in the air too significantly. Above us, on the ceiling, were large, open windows, displaying the night sky and speckled starlight. The airport was small compared to the ones in Honolulu and San Jose, but many tourists and locals still milled around, talking loudly as they wheeled their suitcases behind them.

Large, curved palm trees bent down towards us from their giant terra cotta pots, the fronts blowing slightly in the light breeze that floated down from the windows above. The tropical ukulele and steel drum music that played over the speakers in the airport created a comforting environment.

Lance, who seemed to know exactly where we were going, led me through the airport with an excited smile on his face. "Where are we going?" I asked jokingly.

I hadn't expected him to answer, but he turned around and gave me a sunny smile as he replied, "To Hunk's!"

Grabbing my wrist, he dragged me forward, marching happily to the front doors of the airport.

...

"Lance!"

I stood back, looking on as Lance and a young man reunited in front of a small, squat house. The man, probably in his mid-twenties grinned as he gave the angel a bear-hug, spinning him around happily. The house we stood before was where Lance had told me we would be staying in, but I hadn't expected it to have other patrons as well.

"It's good to see you, Hunk," I heard Lance's muffled chuckle.

Stepping back, Hunk held Lance as arms-length, scouring his face with large, chocolate eyes. I carefully took in the man's features- floppy, dark hair, broad shoulders, square jaw, and heavily muscled. It looked like he could snap me in half with his bare hands like a toothpick if he wanted to, but his beaming smile made that hard to imagine.

"It's been too long," Hunk agreed, nodding. He turned to look at me and his eyebrows shot upwards.

"Hello," I said lamely, "I'm Keith."

"A friend of mine," Lance interjected, and I noticed how he stressed the word 'friend', making pointed eye contact with Hunk. The young Samoan only hesitated a second before pulling me into a hug as well.

Hunk was warm and he smelled like coconuts and coffee beans, but the feeling wasn't uncomfortable. I realized that, while Lance's hugs were soft, sweet, his thin arms around my shoulders, his face pressed to my neck, Hunk's hug made me feel small and childish. It was the kind of hug I imagine I would want my father to give me. Stepping back, Hunk grinned at me.

"Any friend of Lance's is a friend of mine. It's nice to meet you, bro."

"It's nice to meet you too," I replied softly, looking down at my shoes.

Lance spoke up. "Thank you for letting us stay here, bud- it means a lot to me to not have to stay in another hotel."

Hunk nodded enthusiastically, "Of course! I don't blame you." He opened the door for us, letting us into his small home. "Oh! You must be tired!" He hit his forehead with his palm, rolling his eyes at himself, "Jet lag and all that jazz."