25. Night Flight

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmjQJhH4l7/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gj0zreapnq9y

Lance

As Hunk performed his dramatic retelling of the first time he and I had met, I snuggled closer into my blanket, watching the shadows dance off of Keith's face as the four of us sat around the campfire. It had been a long, tiring day at the beach, and now, as we sat around the fire that Shay had built, I knew that I was the happiest I'd been in a while.

Not only was I with my best friend after so long apart, but I was also on a gorgeous island with a warm breeze in my hair and sand under my feet, eating delicious island food, making banana boats in the hot embers of the fire, and relaxing in the paradise.

As an angel in the Upperworld, I could see everything and anything I wanted to in the world. I observed in every country, granting miracles and guiding mortals' consciences. But it was a whole other level of living when you were personally able to feel your surroundings on your skin and actually be able to experience the moment.

I knew in my heart that it would be difficult to transition from living like this to returning to the Upperworld to continue my duties as an angel. Maybe I'd ask Mother if I could join Pidge and Coran at the SAL for some groundwork.

But I knew that it wouldn't be the same. The whole reason why I'd been able to experience this, live this, see everything I'd seen in the past few weeks... it was all because of Keith. I truly meant what I had said the night before. I'm glad it was me. Maybe it was jealousy talking, but I wouldn't want any other angel to guide Keith. And I wouldn't want to guide any other devil.

There were always going to be things that I'd want to show him. I'd always want to bring him to Paris, I'd always want to go ice skating and shopping in New York City. I'd always want to show him what school was like, watch the World Cup with him, take him to Disney World and so many other places. I wanted him to remember the Midworld for how wonderful it was and I wanted him to remember it forever.

I knew that I would.

...

We ended up staying in Samoa for a week. Originally only planning to stay for two days, Hunk was delighted when I couldn't find any flights until the next Tuesday. I stayed up late planning our flights, but I was still dreading the whole thing. We were looking at the longest plane ride Keith and I had ever been on, as well as the most expensive. I didn't mind the money, but long flights weren't either of our favorite activities.

It had been an 11-hour flight from San Jose to Apia, but from Apia to our next destination would include a connecting stop in Honolulu before a lengthy flight across the ocean. I was dreading breaking the news to Keith, so I let him enjoy the vacation without having to worry about the flight.

For the rest of the week, the four of us were positively lazy. The weather stayed gorgeous, allowing us for campfires every night and picnics on the beach in the brilliant afternoons. We walked down into the market and bought exotic foods and fish and I made Keith try papaya for the first time.

The smell of brine and death was nearly overwhelming as Hunk led us through the fish market, but I managed with a tight face and a stiff neck as Hunk and Keith hoisted fish on their shoulders, Hunk exchanging kind words in Samoan with the merchant.

I read books on the hot sand, went swimming, and talked for hours with Hunk about anything and nothing. I gently eased Keith into entering the ocean on his own, showing him how to actually swim instead of his frantic (yet effective) flail that he'd used when he'd come to 'rescue' me.

On the second night, Keith and I switched sleeping arrangements. I slept on the bed, Keith on the air mattress beside me on the floor, but it didn't feel right. After spending the night sleeping in the same bed before, I missed the feel of my devil beside me.