nine

"That's very clever sir, but what if there's a fire? I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career, sir," Bender states, his tone formal yet sarcastic, everyone watching Andrew and Vern move the magazine rack.

A moment passes before Vern hollers, "Alright, what are you doing with this? Get this outta here for God's sake! What's the matter with you? Come on!"

"You know the school comes equipped with fire exits at either end of the library."

"Brian, please shush for a couple minutes," Julian tells the boy, who obediently agrees.

"Get back to your seat!" Andrew follows orders, sitting beside Claire. "I expected a little more from a varsity letterman!" He turns to John. "You're not fooling anybody, Bender! The next screw that falls out is gonna be you!"

It seemed like Vern had gotten the last laugh, but when does Bender ever back down from a fight? "Eat my shorts..." he mumbles.

"What was that?" Vernon questions, taking steps towards the student.

"Eat. My. Shorts." The look Bender gives nearly makes Julian melt in his seat.

"You just bought one more right there!" Vern growls.

"Oh Christ..."

"You just bought one more right there!"

"Well, I'm free the Saturday after that! Beyond that, I'm gonna have to check my calendar!"

"Good! 'Cause it's gonna be filled, we'll keep goin'! You want another one? Say the word, just say the word! Instead of going to prison, you'll come here! Are you through?" he questions.

"No."

"I'm doing society a favor!"

"How?" Vern and Bender look over, finding Julian with his arms crossed.

"Excuse you?!"

"Nah, fuck you asshole. You getting mad at every student just 'cause you fucked up your own life. Don't blame us for your own fuck up." Julian speaks calmly, and Bender can't tell if he's supposed to applaud the male or be scared, because no should be calm for that long.

"Oh, and you're such a good kid? You're nothing. And I can tell you this: No parent wants a fairy for a kid. And that's a fact." Jc's eyes become glassy for a moment, but they lose emotion when he clears his throat. "You through?"

"How many was that?" Bender asks.

"That's two for both of them, including the two when we first came in and Julian told Mr. Vernon he was a retard," Brian answered.

"It's three now. You stay out of it!" Vern orders. "I got you two for a month. One month, your mine."

"What can I say? I'm thrilled!"

"Oh, I'm sure that's exactly what you want these people to believe. You know something, Bender? You ought to spend a little more time trying to do something with yourself and a little less time trying to impress people. You might be better off." Silence. Totally not uncomfortable. "Alright, that's it! I'm going to be right outside those doors. The next time I have to come in here I'm cracking skulls!"

Vern walks off, the door shutting behind him. Bender still tries to have the last word, yelling, "Fuck you!"

Silence comes around once more. John sighs dramatically, turning to look at Julian. However, he can't see his face as Jc has his head in the table, his arms up underneath. His body shakes faintly before stopping moments later.