Part I

(CASSANDRA)

I can't control the tears streaming down my cheeks as I sat on one of the stools in this small convenience store. Thirty minutes had passed since I took the last bite from the sandwich I bought. I muffled my cries, I don't want to attract attention from the other customers that come in.

Where do I start? I stopped studying for a year because my parents can't afford to support my studies so, imagine my joy when they told me the news that I can continue this school year but unfortunatley, my father had an accident two days ago. It caused him to be in a comatose state. Doctors can't do anything and just told us to wait.

My mother kept crying and never left his side but the biggest problem that we are facing is how to pay the bills at the hospital, we barely can pay our house rent.

My mother is a housewife and my father worked at a construction site. Living here in Los Angeles is not easy even when I was a child. I saw how my parents struggle just to make our life comfortable.

I'm 18 years old now so I know someone will hire me if I apply for a job but still it will not be enough to cover the expenses at the hospital and our daily needs. We have no other source of income except from my father's job but because of this incident I know we're screwed.

I didn't notice the girl that was approaching me until she spoke, "Cassey?".

I wiped the tears from my cheeks and looked up.

"Oh, it's really you, Casey. I was'nt sure when I saw you from the window but why are you crying?", she asked curiously.

Embarrassed at my present state, I looked down at my hands, fidgeting. Sabrina was my school mate. She was two years older than me. We knew each other when both of us represented our respective classes as muses.

"Oh, it's nothing", I answered with a soft sound.

She sat next to me and raised my chin up with her finger, "You don't look okay".

Her sincerity was enough to make me cry again. I slowly told her the whole story amidst my sobbing and felt her arms around me. I rested my face on her shoulder, grateful for her company. She let me go when she felt that I had calmed down.

"I want to help you", her sudden announcement made me looked at her wide-eyed.

When I thought I was hopeless and no one to turn to, here comes an angel to help me.

"Ho...how?"

"I have a job to offer you. The salary is good, I mean really good. But it will be hard for you, considering that this will be your first job".

"I will do my best, I promise", I told her eagerly as I clasped both of her hands.

"Cassey, this job is different", she paused and hesitated.

"Anything, Sabrina. I'm willing to do anything", I begged.

"Before you say that, listen first. I took this job when I had the same downfall in life. Ever since that day I got used to it. It made my life easier, financially," another paused. "I get paid for sex", she continued.

Her last words came as a shock.

"I know, right? But at that time, it was the only rational thing that I can do which saved me and my family". She smiled and got a calling card from her purse. "You don't need to decide now. Think about it and give me a call tomorrow".

I took the card and read her name written on it Sabrina Watts together with her phone number.

"Smile and don't worry. All will be well", she consoled, patted my hand before she left. She looked like a sophisticated office worker with her white long sleeves blouse tucked in a black knee-length skirt. No one would ever suspect that she's working in a whole different field of job.

I got my phone which was an old model and called my mother,"Mom, do you want me to stay there with dad so, you can rest at home?".

"It's okay, sweetie. I will stay here. You can go home and rest", there was sadness in her voice.

"Okay".

It took me five minutes to walk from the store to the shabby building where our flat is. Five flats in every floor and the building has three floors. The owner is an old lady with a soft heart. She never raised our rent that's why other families are still staying there.

I went inside our small flat on the second floor. It was enough for a family of three. It has a kitchen, dining, living room and one bedroom. My parents let me sleep at the bedroom alone when I reached 13 while they slept at the living room with a folding mattress.

My dad is so protective of me that even when we were broke and I know I was capable to help them through a part time job, he wouldn't allow it. His reason was "I don't want my princess to work".

As I looked around the place. I remember my dad and it made my heart ache with sorrow. All his life, his family was his priority. He took two jobs just to make sure we have roof on our heads and food on our table. Now, it's my turn to take care of them.
I sighed, I already made up my mind. I promised myself that first to call Sabrina first thing in the morning.

I woke up to the sound of my crappy alarm clock. It was 7:00. I washed my face and brushed my teeth before I picked up my phone and dialled her number.

I hope she's already awake.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Sabrina. It's Cassey, I hope I didn't wake you up".

"No, you didn't. Actually I was waiting for your call. Your in luck! Are you ready for an interview?".

"N......now?", I stammered.

"Yeah, I was getting ready for a meeting with them before you called. So, still interested?".

"Ye....yes".

"Okay. Meet me at LA Hotel".

"Okay".

"Oh I almost forgot, wear something sexy", the other line was cut immediately without waiting for my reply.

I just looked at my phone as if she had spoken an alien language.
"Sexy?!", I repeated the word.

How in hell will I look sexy with an oversized shirt and baggy pants?