𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟿: 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚑𝚜

[[Tony Stark P.O.V.]]

"You understand we have to keep this quiet. If any of it gets out—who knows what could happen. We'll deal with this privately. And those are my orders." Fury says to me over video call.

I roll my eyes in disagreement and frustration, trying my best not to raise my voice. "Four months, Fury. Four months. That's how long we've been looking for him, that's how long Agent Anson has been without her boyfriend, that's how long our team has been without our team member and best friend. And you think they don't deserve to know we found him? You don't think they deserve to know he's on a jet headed for S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters as we speak? How is that fair?" My voice begins to raise in volume, I can't help myself.

"I can't and will not go against Dr. Banner's wishes, Stark!" He argues in return. I narrow my eyes, confused. Bruce's wishes?

"What does that mean? He doesn't want to see anyone? His brain is probably all mushed up from being in captivity from those lunatics—." Before I can finish Fury interrupts me.

"No—well, yes. In a way. He's on edge. They didn't succeed in replicating his DNA or copying his abilities. But the emotional toll this has taken on him...Viola may be dead and Loki sent away by Thor, we were successful in getting rid of them, but the damage has been done. His sensitivity to emotion is heightened, he doesn't have as much control as he used to have last time you all saw him. He needs time to recover. So no—he doesn't want to see anyone, especially Agent Anson. He believes he's a danger to her." Fury explains. I feel a sharp pain in my chest as I think about how the team, especially Arielle, is going to take this. I can't even begin to imagine the time it will take to get Bruce back on track. I'm not even one hundred percent sure on what condition he's in, no matter what Director Fury says. This isn't the happy ending I was hoping for.

"He's always believed he's a danger to her. But they love each other. He knows he won't hurt her. I don't understand how that's changed." I argue.

"You'll have to ask him that yourself when he gets here. I'll break the news to the team. For now, you are to follow my orders strictly. I swear, if you say one word I've told you not to—."

"Yeah, okay, yadda yadda, blah blah blah. I get it. But I don't agree with this in any way, shape or form.  Let me know when he gets in." I say with a deep sigh, shaking my head as I press the button to end the video call.

[[Arielle P.O.V./ "Number One" - Tove Styrke ~ song for scene ]]

"I have absolutely no idea. I'm not good at these things. You are—surprisingly." I say to Nat as we search through all kinds of very expensive ball gowns inside the prettiest dress shop in the middle of New York.

Nat rolls her eyes, "Surprisingly? What's that supposed to mean—oh! Look at this one!" She says with excitement as she pulls one out from the current aisle we're in. It's a long, black and gold dress. It's filled with sparkles and puff and I hate to admit it, but it's absolutely stunning. I gasp, my eyes widening as I view it. I feel excitement brewing within me but I hide it a bit.

"You love it. I can tell." Nat says with a laugh as she hands it to me. "Try this on. I'm gonna try on this golden dress. Maybe we can match together?" She suggests. I laugh, "I'm actually down for that since I won't have a date."

Silence.

As soon as I say this Nat's smile fades, the mood killed almost immediately. She frowns, shrugging as she places a hand on my arm. She doesn't say anything, but her expression says it all.

"I know." I say with an appreciative half-smile, thanking her with my expression.

I make my way over to the dressing room, ready to try on this beautiful dress. Tony's party is in a few days, so it's important that Nat and I get our dresses in time. This one is very formal, just for fun. Everyone is bringing dates—Nat should be going with Clint. Those two are definitely into each other, but she feels bad for me, so she's trying to go with me instead. Stupid. It's just a stupid date. I'll be fine.

Natasha and I both try on our dress choices, both fitting beautifully. We purchase our gowns, which almost makes me croak when I swipe my card. So much money on a dress I'll only wear once. This is really stupid. I kind of deserve it though—at least that's what Nat says. Is that something us spenders tell ourselves when we spend way too much money on clothes?

Nat and I make our way down the street, shopping bags in hand. We decide to head into a little coffee shop to get some caffeine boosts.

It's been 4 months since I've seen Bruce. He's all I think about...all the time. I haven't been able to get him or that day off my mind since. It hurts to know we've been looking for him this long, and we still haven't found him. I feel like I'm failing him. Here I am...buying a fucking ball gown. Meanwhile he could be going through absolute hell. How is that fair?

Nat and I take our seats at a small table beside the window after purchasing our drinks.

"You know what? We should have our training sessions together tomorrow. Have Steve do the two of us. I just updated my training playlist and it's pretty badass if I'm being honest." Nat says as she takes a sip of her coffee, giving an impressed expression.

I laugh, "I've been waiting for you to ask that. That could be fun. Also—it's about damn time I have some help kicking Steve's ass. He's always kicking mine." I roll my eyes while sipping my hot coffee.

We share a laugh but it's quickly interrupted as Nat's cellphone begins to ring loudly. She pulls it from her pocket, checking the caller I.D. Her brows raise, and she answers quickly. Must be important.

"Hello?"

A long pause is observed. Suddenly, Nat's entire composure changes. Her expression shows shock, her eyes as wide as golf balls.

"What?" She questions. "Okay—okay, of course. We'll be there immediately. No problem. Yes, I'll let her know—see you soon." She says before hanging up. She stares at her phone screen for a moment before giving any kind of explanation.

I shake my head, my eyes widened with worry. "What? What is it?" I question.

Natasha ignores me, pausing for a moment longer.

"Nat!" I say a little louder, giving her a soft kick under the table. She snaps out of her daze, her eyes meeting with mine.

"We—we have to go right now." She says subtly.

I shake my head in confusion, "What? Why? What's going on?" I ask further. My tone filled with anxiety.

Nat takes a deep breath as she quickly stands up from the table.

"They found Bruce."

The words hit me like a rushing train.