Episode 23 - The misunderstanding

While we were getting our work done, it occurred to me that Mohit’s office was near and we could drop a view. The printers work was getting done. I gestured Harsh to come out.

“Will you come with me somewhere? I want to drop off something at someone’s office” I asked him with innocent face.

“Well, okay. But, conditions apply” He said naughtily.

“Hah! Dream on” I said.

“Then I have to think about it” He said with attitude. I elbowed him and pulled him along.

We reached his office and I asked harsh to wait for sometime in the hallway. I spoke to Mrs. Sharma. She let me in without any second thought. It was may be because of the things that took place earlier, but people in his office felt more polite this time. I evil laughed myself as I entered the cabin. I saw Mohit was working on something so I signalled him and went to sit in his rest room he took me on the disaster day.

“Hey, Misses. Mohit Naik, want some coffee?” A voice pulled in through my ears as I turned around to see Monica.

“Uh! No. I am fine with water” I said. I saw her making coffee and turning towards me as I looked down.

“So you and Mohit? You guys go so well together, don’t you?” she asked me sipping her coffee.

“Yeah” I smiled and continued “Very well” The mere idea of us being together threw shivers down my spine.

“Hmmm, I and Mohit were very close since a long time, possibly since we were 9 year old. We did everything together. We walked to school every morning and sometimes I stole breakfast for him from my kitchen” I laughed, she added “I can still remember our first prom night together in LA. Los Angeles. Our first kiss, first hug, first everything” She said. I stopped my thought at ‘first everything’ as the smile on my lips faded. ‘What could she possibly mean by that? Were they together? Or were they dating? Or Mohit just appeared from nowhere in her bed. Wait, she hasn’t mentioned a bed yet.'

“You look worried, what’s the matter?” she asked and added “Oh, ‘our everything’ meant we made out once after our exam. oh trust me it was good. No one knew but us. I figured he told by now since you two were together” her wicked smile grew and it disgusted me to no limits.

“No he hasn’t.” I said with thousands of thoughts in my mind. ‘How couldn’t he tell me about it? Or why didn’t he? He was playing with me. What the hell was going on?’ I thought. Silence spread in the room for a while. She started again.

“We were so much in love. When I came back day before, the way he hugged me. It conveyed to me how much he had missed me while I was away. His strong arms around me that gripped me so tight that my censored part touched his chest” she said and added “May be, if it wouldn’t be for you. We would be together by now, wrapped up into each other’s arms tightly on our erotic honeymoon” she spoke in this foreign accent that annoyed the hell out of me. By now, my eyes held tears that could run down anytime, if she didn’t stop. Her eyes were all of lust for him.

“He loves me, I know it. If somehow you got out of the way….” she got cut off in between by Mohit who entered in.

“What are you two ladies talking about me?” he said.

“Nothing, I was just leaving. I have a friend standing outside.” I said and stood up to leave.

“But I just came. I am sorry about yesterday sweetheart. Please forgive me” he said pleading me not to leave. I shrugged away from him and went towards Monica and hugged her only to whisper “He’s all yours” Our eyes met for a microsecond and all I saw was the nasty green eyed smile that disgusted me. I left in pace and Mohit followed. He held my hand “wait, what’s wrong? Talk to me” he pleaded but it was too much to take, tears started to roll out but I controlled. i didnt want to show him I was weak.

I saw Harsh flirting with some girl in the office hallway. He saw me going out in pace and saw Mohit following as well. He ran to me and we headed down.

“Wait please. Listen to me. Tell me what is wrong” he said and I shrugged his held arm in anger that made me hit the door edge and blood started oozing out of my cut elbow. Harsh, without any second thought started the bike and we rode off. I didn’t bother to look back at Mohit as it was way too much to digest.

Harsh rode off to his home. It was very close to college. The printing work could wait. But, he understood the gloom inside me and took me home. Luckily his Mom was a working woman.

“Sit. I’ll get some water and first aid. Your elbow is cut” He said. All this while, Monica’s words wriggling in my head and I couldn’t think of anything else but her in his arms. Harsh came back and saw me teary. He placed the glass on the table and sat beside me. He carefully band-aided my elbow and I kept looking at him, only and only her words were running in my brain. Harsh understood and engulfed me into his arms. I cried. I was in his arms still “I don’t want to part from this hug, don’t leave me” I said with shaky voice. He tightened his hug “No one’s taking you away from me, love” he said.

It was a long nurturing hug that lasted about half an hour. He realised I had dozed off in his arms, so he carefully put me on the sofa to get some sleep.

I woke up in about the next hour. We had a lot of time since our lunch time started at 2 p.m. I sat up and folded my legs to my chest and rested my chin over it, tilting my head towards Harsh. He was doing something on his laptop. “How do you feel now?” he asked. I answered with a half smile. “I feel cold Harsh” I added. He ran into his room to get a hoodie, it was oversized but it took away the cold.

“So are we going to talk about it? What were we doing in the Textile Naik’s office? Why did you cry when we returned? Why was he trying to stop you?” he asked at once. I just looked at him and kept silent. I hadn’t any answer. He knelt down and took my hands into his.

“Please tell me. I want to help you out of it.” He said as I was still not speaking. He kept looking at me with questioning look. I didn’t want to even remember things that had happened between me and Mohit. He probably understood and let the matter go, for just then.

Copyright © 2014 · All Rights Reserved