Episode 13 - Academics knock!!!

Episode 13: (Edited)

At 3a.m in the midnight, my cell buzzed. It had slipped into my pillow's pillow cover. I woke up to that sound.

"Hello" I said with an ill sleepy tone.

"Hey love. I am extremely sorry for not being there. What's your result? I am sure you must've done pretty well. Hmmm?" he said.

"80%" I said.

"Oh. My baby is a genius. Wow, amazing. Congrats. I am speechless" he said.

"No it's not amazing, and don't try to console me! I know it and I've realised it. I am useless, and good for nothing." I said. He understood my frustration and tried to take it away. But I was stubborn, hardly listened to anyone.

"Relax sweetheart, just calm down. Do you know my younger cousin failed? And she probably is very proud of it." He said and I laughed. He knew I was low and tried everything to cheer me up.

"Baby, Come to me. Come to bed. Let's take a nap." He said and in matter of moments he put me to sleep. The call got recorded and later I found the audio clip of it in my phone.The cute little things he said to make me sleep were amazing.

That morning Shreya called up. She knew we were broken and needed an extra hand to help her up as well.

"Hey. How are you doing Rad's? How did you digest the results? I scored an 86%" she said. I literally jumped off my seat as those words reached my ears. I hung up. She tried calling again but since I didn't want to talk, I kept the receiver aside. Soon the torture began on my cell. So out of frustration I switched it off.

I was sitting on the edge of the bed, with legs folded that came till my knee and my arms hugging it, when mom brought me a plate of rice. I was staring into nothing. She kept the plate on my study table and sat next to me and caressed my head. I quietly put my head on her lap and tears started to roll down my cheeks. She rubbed my cheek and continued caressing my forehead.

"I know you tried your best. I am so proud of my baby girl. You don't have to prove to anyone. I know and I've seen your efforts. So now stop crying and give me that million dollar smile that lights up this whole town." She said and placed a kiss on my forehead. I smiled "mom it's a song." I said and she smiled.

"Now have we thought anything about our future? Or should I talk to Sid?" she continued.

"No Ma. I am probably going to continue commerce and then an M.B.A. I'll talk to Sid soon." I said.

"That is like my little girl. Now come, have lunch" as she took the plate in her hand to feed me. "Open your mouth... come on..... aaaaaaaahh" she said and I started laughing so hard that she literally put the spoon into my mouth and I spat half of it out.

"Such a kid you are, a kid in a grown's body, seriously." She said as she was wiping off the fallen rice on my t-shirt and I was looking at it with an innocent face.

After lunch, I called up Shreya to apologize about my behaviour earlier. I dialled her number and the phone on the opposite side rung.

"Hello?" she said.

"Hello. Hey, Shreya? I am extremely sorry for the behaviour earlier. I was devastated, broken because of results and I scored an 80%" I said in a breath.

"Hey that is fine, relax. And 80 aren't bad. So chill." She said. "So what have you thought ahead" she continued.

"Probably I will be continuing commerce and then an M.B.A. I am not sure yet but just a thought." I said.

"Yes, Same with me. But I am also thinking of this Professional Course, Corporate Secretary." She said and some more conversation went on between us about academics. Until, we came on this topic of my ill-health.