Take it To Go

Author's note:

Posting a double update because I love you guys <3

.................

Waverly was too proud to tell Nicole, but, she did end up taking a picture of the old man and the jukebox after Nicole left-- heck, she even shared a small conversation with him. He was a lovely old fellow who told Waverly that Nicole and her make a lovely couple and it would be a waste if they fought like that-- a statement which Waverly denied right away with a headshake and a fake, superficial laugh.

The next few hours with Nicole was tense and silent. Nicole kept the radio off, and Waverly stuck to her own music and killed time by scrolling through her social media timeline-- some of the girls in the cheerleading team have been texting her about Champ-- saying she's made a big mistake by dumping him. Champ blocked her on Twitter and Instagram, and a few random guys who go to the uni just started texting her with stupid messages that she knew was just a charade to get in her pants. Some nicer people started asking her if Nicole had kidnapped her or something, which was absurd. Others made fake accounts and texted her with the tagline "cheater." (Nice effort to appear anonymous, but Waverly could guess who was who anyways)  Waverly's been avoiding the messages. She didn't feel like they're worth her time anyways, except maybe Kate. Kate's nice. Kate sent her a meme of a crying kitten and told her to "hang in there, it'll pass."

She kept thinking about the fight they had a few hours ago-- about Nicole saying that she hated her, and Nicole saying that she shouldn't have come along. Did she really mean that? Because now that Waverly's thought about it over and over, she found herself admitting that, at the end of the day, she couldn't hate Nicole. Waverly didn't want to apologize just yet, though.

But was Nicole being serious though? Because if she was, Waverly's starting to think that maybe her hunch about Nicole's not right afterall. Maybe Nicole's not different from the girls in campus. Worse, maybe she's just another manifest of Champ. Maybe she's just going to dissappoint and leave, just like everyone else.

And maybe, you should just learn to deal with it and stop trying to force your way, Waves.

They stopped at a gas station down at Fargo, Oklahoma that noon. Waverly walked out of the car while Nicole was filling gas and bought herself a hotdog and a bottle of water; no hotdog for Nicole this time. Sorry, shithead.

Nicole didn't say anything when Waverly re-entered the car. She took one quick glance, noticed Waverly only bought one, then she stepped out and returned about thirty minutes later with a hotdog of her own.

All the while their silence lasted, eerie like a graveyard melody.

Aside from all that, traffic was clear, and so was the sky; Waverly listened to a playlist of instrumental melodies and stared out the window, so lost in her thoughts that she even fell asleep at some point. When she woke up the sky was dark outside and they were surrounded by the vibrant city lights. She checked the GPS on her phone to find out where they were: it was Tucumcari, New Mexico-- boy, have we traveled far. Waverly sat straighter and stared up ahead, at the view of the busy, foreign city at night, admiring its beauty from afar.

The car pulled up to a drive-thru of a 'Sonic Drive In,' and for the first time in the past 10 hours Nicole turned to her and asked,

"What do you wanna get?" Her voice sounded pretty raspy-- she was probably a bit dehydrated and most likely super tired.

"Get me anything, I don't care."

"Okay." Nicole nodded, and that was about the only conversation they had the rest of the drive.

Nicole got herself a burger that she held with one hand while the other gripped onto the steering wheel. She got Waverly a double cheeseburger and fries, and the brunette ate it in the midst of their cold war. They didn't take a break to finish their food first; Nicole opted to keep driving instead.

Waverly stole a glance at Nicole to her left, wondering how tired the redhead must have felt by now; sure, Nicole's a jerk, but not a totally bad person. She did save her from Tucker, and she did listen to her when Waverly talked relentlessly about her polaroid pictures, she did drive her home a few times, and she did help her carry her blankets into the room last night. No matter how sorry she felt for Nicole, though, she's still not talking to her-- not after the fight at the diner. If there's someone who needs to apologize, it's going to be Nicole. It should be Nicole.

They pushed on, coursing through the landscape of New Mexico at night. At some point, thunder roared and the sky drizzled; the sounds of tiny thumps when the bulbs of rain hit against the windows were relaxing, so Waverly made herself comfortable in her seat, and tried to get herself some more sleep-- anywhere where she's not trapped in some cold war with a tall redhead who reminded her too much of Carol Aird.

.