You Know Why

Nicole woke up to the feeling of hot air blowing against the crook of her neck.

She blinked, opened her eyes, and found Waverly still asleep next to her-- and their proximity has diminished to none. Waverly's hugging her arm and has buried her face on the crook of Nicole's neck. Her leg was hiked up over Nicole's, and Nicole found her own heart pounding hard against her ribcage; it's been a long time since the last time she fell asleep next to someone that she'd almost forgotten how it feels like-- this, however, is a pleasant enough reminder.

Nicole looked to her left and checked out the alarm clock on the nightstand. It's 5 p.m. However comfortable this feels, they both need to get up.

"Waverly." She murmured, softly tracing her fingers along the lining of her brown locks. Waverly, wake up."

The brunette hummed next to her and nudged her nose against Nicole's neck, sending shivers down her spine.

"Hey, you gotta wake up." Nicole tucked strands of her hair behind her ear and gently caressed her face. Waverly twitched a little at the touch. "It's getting late. Wynonna shouldn't find us like this."

"She's staying over at John Henry's tonight." Waverly weakly muttered, still more than half asleep. She looked and sounded really cute that Nicole hated it; if Waverly was hers she would've pinned her down the bed right now and kiss her.

"Don't you have cheer practice today?"

That sure got her to wake up.

"Oh crap." Waverly's eyes were wide open. She abruptly sat up on the bed and frustratedly ran her fingers through her hair when she found out the time. "I'm two hours late. Fudge nuggets!"

Nicole propped herself by the elbows, looking at her with discern. "Whoa whoa. Calm down. Can you still go? I'll take you there."

"Yeah." She nodded, getting up hurriedly and dissappearing inside her closet. When she came out she had her cheerleading outfit on, and her hair was messy and her face looked sleepy, but oh my my is she a sight.

"Okay." Nicole looked away quickly so that she wouldn't come across as creepy for staring too long. "Let's take you to cheer practice.

-------------

When Nicole pulled up by the campus football field, she could clearly see a bunch of girls in their cheerleading outfits who paused whatever they were doing to stare at their arrival. Waverly's been acting gloomy and she had a guilty look in her eyes, no matter how many times Nicole convinced her that it's gonna be alright. The subject of Waverly's ambiguous sleeping position never came up, though it certainly remained a subject that hung in the air between them the whole time.

"Do you want me to go up there with you? We can come up with some sort of an explanation."

Waverly shook her head. "That's sweet of you, but I'm fine. See you Nicole." She opened the door and walked out.

"Wait. Do you, uh-- do you need me to pick you up?"

Waverly's eyes widened and she looked confused for a moment. "No. I think Champ's gonna pick me up."

"Oh."

"But you said you don't have a place to stay, right? You should stay over. Here, uh, here's the apartment key--"

"No, no. I can't. I shouldn't."

"But why?" Their eyes met, studying each other.

"You know why, Waves."

Waverly bit her lip, but still hadn't moved from where she stood. It didn't take long before one of the cheerleaders called her name, asking her to join practice immediately. Waverly looked over her shoulder anxiously, but turned to Nicole again. "So where are you gonna stay?"

"The station. I'll be okay, I promise."

"WAVERLY!" Another girl yelled her name. Waverly looked disconcerted.

"You better go." Nicole encouraged softly.

"Just-- call me, okay? Promise me you'll call."

Nicole felt a pang in her heart. What are we? Friends? More than friends?

"Yeah." She nodded anyways. "Promise."

.