We'll Have Driven Through the State

Nicole arrived on time: 8 a.m, as promised. Wynonna was there to help load Waverly's gigantic suitcase, a backpack, and a stack of blankets-- that struck Nicole as a little odd but she didn't ask questions. Wynonna walked up to her and gave her a pat on the shoulder, telling her to take care of her sister. Nicole promised to bring Waverly back home safe and sound.

Two hours into the drive, Waverly kept to her promise: the car was silent as a grave. Nicole, of course, kept her eyes on the road, and Waverly kept her earbuds on, though she took out her camera and took pictures of the highway and grasslands they passed by along the way. Traffic was clear, the sky was pale but the sun peeked its way out of the pillows of clouds as the day reached its peak. Nicole took in the serenity of the silence and the neverending road; if she didn't look to her right it's almost like Waverly's not even here at all.

A little later, they made a stop at an uncrowded gas station at the city of Des Moines, where Waverly wordlessly stepped out and entered the convenience store while Nicole was in the midst of refueling her car. Nicole found a parking spot next to the store and waited patiently for Waverly after. She jumped a little with surprise when Waverly re-entered the car, and she took a furtive glance at the items that Waverly bought. Particularly the delicious-smelling pair of hot dogs that Waverly brought inside.

When Waverly handed one to her, she frowned at her but took it anyways.

"Thank you." Nicole commented in complete surprise-- not expecting the kind gesture, all the while Waverly said nothing back but handed her a bottle of water next. They ate next to each other in complete silence, just like they have been throughout the drive so far. If the drive was serene, though, this silent lunch felt pretty fricking depressing since now Nicole has to face the fact that Waverly was indeed, right here with her, and they still have at least 22 more hours of driving ahead of them, not counting the future layovers and overnight stays at motels.

Nicole gathered up the courage to turn her head and observed Waverly, who, as of now, had her earbuds down. Is this a sign? A sign that she's open to talk?

"What are the blankets for?" Nicole began, asking the one petty thing that's been stuck in her mind for the past 3 hours. "You brought quite a few."

Waverly had to finish chewing the last bite of her hot dog before she answered with a shy chuckle, her gaze dropped to her lap, "I just like having extra layers of blankets when I sleep-- to, you know, keep me warm. I feel cold all the time."

"I didn't know that."

"How could you possibly?"

"I mean, when we slept--" Nicole stopped, realizing that she has reached an uncomfortable, possibly-sensitive subject.

Waverly quirked a brow. "Go on."

"No, no, it's nothing."

"No, I wanna hear it. Say it."

Nicole folded her lips inwards nervously and twisted open the water bottle Waverly gave her. "You, uh, you didn't need a blanket when we, we-- slept next to each other that day."

Waverly blushed. "I leaned onto you, though."

"Oh, right." Nicole gulped, remembering how Waverly nuzzled  her nose against her neck and draped her limbs over Nicole's body. The memory was so clear that she even remembered exactly how it felt; how the touches sent shivers of thrill down her spine. Nope, nope. We're not going there right now, Nicole.

And... another awkward silence ensued.

Waverly bit her lip with doubt and took a few quick glances at Nicole, until she braced herself to fully look at her and asked, "how much I should cover for the gas money?"

"Nope. You got us lunch. You're not paying me back for it."

"But-- a hotdog is so much cheaper compared to gas!

Nicole shook her head and hummed with disapproval. "I'm not talking about this with you."

"Ugh, god. Cut it out with the chivalry."

"This is so not chivalr--"

"You're so annoying." Waverly rolled her eyes.

"Oh, grow up."

Waverly scoffed incredulously. "This is the second time you've said that to me and I'm beginning to think that you're the one who needs to grow the hell up."

"Sure. Whatever you say, Waverly."

"I'll pay for the motel. No buts, no talkbacks."

"Hey, now that's not fair!"

"Do you even listen to yourself right now? You're the one who's a broke-ass student!"

The two of them went silent after that. Waverly regretted having said what she said, and Nicole's not sure how to react.

"I'm sorry. That was out of line."

"Yep."

"I'm sorry." Waverly repeated.

"It's cool."

"Seriously, though. I'm sorry."

"Yeah, Waverly, no hard feelings."

"Great. I'll pay for the motel."

Nicole glared at her. "You're impossible."

"Oh, I'm impossible?? Look at you! You're the one acting all--"

"Waverly, can we please not argue right now?"

"Only if you settle with my offer."

Nicole gritted her teeth, slamming her temple against the steering wheel. "Goddamnit, can you for once--"

"Listen up, Nicole! I'm sick of seeing nothing but cars and asphalt, and I know you are too, and--"

"You know what? Fine! You can pay." Nicole rolled her eyes, tired of this argument.

"Fine!" Waverly looked away and crossed her arms. She plugged her earbuds back on and resumed listening to her own music with a pout.

Nicole puffed a deep breath;

This is gonna be a long drive.