"We will figure this out together. But for now, let's go back and finish the service."

I nodded and he escorted me back to our seats.

We said our goodbyes to my parents once it was over and then took a cab to the airport. There were too many people around to teleport back to the castle, so we were just buying us some time, and quite honestly, I don't think I was ready to return. I wanted to sort things out in my head first to see what I was willing to sacrifice for this new life. I've given up so much already that I don't even know what else I have to lose. How does someone move on when they're not even sure of what they are? Am I the same person? Will I ever age? Am I immortal now? Can I still eat human food? How often will I need to feed from demons? It also made me wonder, would I hear from Olive again? Was that even her, or just a demon in disguise? There was so much I didn't understand, but with the demon to my left, I knew I would be happy at his side.

Damarius must have felt me staring because his lips curved into a smile as he squeezed my hand a little tighter. I rubbed my leg against his, trying to touch him as much as I could in the backseat without making the driver uncomfortable. I glanced up front to see if he was paying attention and then leaned in to kiss his neck. I grabbed his leg and squeezed it hard, letting him know how badly I wanted him. He raised his arm and wrapped it around me so he could pull closer while letting out a small groan deep in his throat. I listened to his heartbeat and it had such a beautiful rhythm, and then there was another in the background beating very quickly. Almost, too quickly as if someone was going to have a heart attack. I leaned back into my seat to figure out whose heart it was and Damarius said, "That's torture." His eyes were closed, and I knew he was just hiding those demon eyes from the driver. I smiled.

"I'm sorry. But don't you hear that?" I leaned in closer. "A heartbeat?"

"Yes, it was like that when we got in." He nodded towards the driver.

"Isn't that strange? Should we calm him down? What if he has a heart attack? I'm not used to hearing other people's..."

"No. Something is wrong." And as soon as those words left his lips, the driver stomped on the breaks and pointed a gun at us. His face... Why did it look so familiar?

"Oh my God. That was his wife at the funeral," I whispered under my breath.

"Yeah, and I know it was your fault!" He yelled as sweat beaded down his forehead. "I can't prove it, but I saw you talking with that man. You had a choice to just leave with him but instead you watched him kill innocent people."

"He would have killed them either way," Damarius said, carefully watching his tone as he stared at the man.

"No! You fucking killed them! And I hope you go to Hell for it."

Damarius leaned over me, shielding me from the gun as we teleported out of there. When I opened my eyes we were in a snowy forest under a large dead tree.

"Why did you do that in front of him? He's going to tell someone."

"It won't matter. His emotions are all over the place from mourning. No one will believe him."

"But I thought you would be more careful because of the trinity bullshit," I replied, but he just seemed frustrated as if he didn't want to listen to me anymore. He quickly grabbed me, sliding his hands over my ass to lift me up onto his body as we kissed. I always loved his kisses, but there was something different about this one.

"Damarius, what's wrong?" I asked, breaking away from his lips for only a moment before he kissed me again. Any other time I would have wanted to continue, but he was obviously hiding something. I dug my nails into his shoulders until he showed me those glowing red eyes. I felt his blood dampening my fingertips and didn't stop until he let out a small grunt.

"Talk. Now." I commanded.

"There's no point."

"Why?"

He gently put me back on the ground and put a few feet between us.

"Damarius-"

"I DON'T WANT TO SHARE YOU!" His voice was loud and demonic, making the hairs on my arms stand up as I froze in place. I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears and it was enough to make me silent for a few moments.

"I never wanted to share you. After we killed the Council I was planning on being with you, just us. But this power of yours... and then the triune was awakened. Now I'll never be able to have you to myself." He said as he stared out at the forest as if he was deep in thought.

"But Kamar believes your mom did this to keep you safe. Isn't that-"

"Are you saying you're all right with it as long as it's for a good reason? Does that make it okay for you to fuck 2 brothers?" He looked at me with angry eyes, and it took everything in me not to walk away.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to say that." He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me, but I wasn't sure if he was trying to comfort me or himself.

"There is a lot we have to discuss, but if you believe your mom truly gave me this power to protect you, then is it really that bad? I just want you to somehow find peace in it even if I haven't. You have always been the one to keep me grounded, but if we both break I don't know if I'm strong enough to put myself back together. This is a lot for someone that was human, and now I don't even know what I am." I sighed. "As much as I don't want to, we need to talk to Kamar."

He gave a nod. "He should be at the castle."

"Do you think he told his people about the Council?"

"Knowing him, he's probably boasting about their death on his throne."

"What will they think of this?"

He took my hand as we began walking through the forest.

"Let's go find out."