Chapter 54: A Masked Man in Nightmares

"I'm going to make sure I kill you this time around. Annabel was a mistake but you, YOU are THE mistake." he grins wickedly as he approaches me with a dagger in one hand and a white handkerchief in the other.

"Please. Don't do this. I'm begging you." I cry as I try to get away from him, my butt on the floor.

The huge shadow before me lets out a loud laugh as he draws nearer, the light in the room diminishing with every step he took. A small lamp by the side reveals only his face under his hood.

He has a black mask on that reveals only his eyes, nose and lips.

"It's too late." he says and immediately raises his hand with the knife at me as I scream loudly.

I fling my eyes open immediately to realize it was just a dream. A nightmare I have been having since Bel got stabbed.

My breathing was heavy yet slow as I sat up on the bed. My hand immediately went to my eyes to find tears had already escaped them.

This wouldn't have been much of a thing to me if it hasn't been on repeat for two nights now.

"Debby." a voice calls at the door and I know it's Caleb's.

"I'll be out soon!" I call back and I don't hear him again which means he already left.

I search around the bed for my phone and find it on the table instead. Stretching my hand to it, I click the small button by the side and the screen comes to life.

"9 am." I mutter before removing the duvet from me.

I kneel by the side of the bed and pray for a moment, hoping God forgives me for not always coming to him and that he protects me, also hoping that I was just having a nightmare.

Truly, a mad man was out to get me in my dream but was it going to become a reality?

I hope not.

I entered the bathroom after my little prayer session to brush my teeth and take my bath.

In less than 30 minutes, I was clean and in a clean chiffon blouse over a black short.

I got out of the room after talking to my concerned siblings on the phone to meet Caleb setting up the counter that divided the Kitchen from the sitting room for breakfast.

"You cooked?" I raise a brow, extremely surprised.

"Yep." he smiles then goes to the fridge to get something.

I peek inside the kitchen to see a plastic plate and a fancy restaurant nylon bag on the side of the sink.

"You bought the food?" I fold my arms and stand at akimbo.

He turns to me with a bottled water and a grin.
"In my defence, I never had a mom to teach me."

My face falls immediately at that but he dismisses the look, reminding me he hated pity.

"It's not your fault so don't start telling me how sorry you are." he winks then takes off the apron he was wearing.

I let a small smile form on my lips.

I know this is his own way of being strong but it's another way to keep lying to himself. Sooner or later, he needs to know that.

"Are you not hungry?" he snaps me back to reality and I walk around the counter to the other side to sit on the stool beside his.

"When did you go out to get all these?" I look from my plate of garnished Noodles with two boiled eggs sitting at the top to his.

If not for the fact that I'm still recovering, which meant my appetite still isn't as it used to be, my mouth would have salivated at the food.