FORTY

"What are you doing?"

This is it, she has to make a decision. It's either flight or help. Her hands are shaking, her heart beating fast, the sound of Cara in pain is not helping her think.

Why can't she actually walk away?

Growing up, people around Liza were scared of her and what she is capable of, including her mum who since Liza was a kid noticed that she didn't have an innocent mind as most kids do. She became more scared of her when Liza, after an argument with her mum, burnt down the house with her in it.

Luckily her mum survived but her mum's assistant suffered burns. She didn't get punished for her actions, Charlie paid for the damages as he always does.

If she is that evil as people think she is, why can't she just turn and leave? It's not like she intentionally tried to hurt Cara physically, she can just say she panicked.

Besides how is it fair for Xander to have a family with someone besides her?  It's not, after all, she has done for him.

Cara can't wait for the lunatic to call. Still, in pain, Cara tries to push herself up, so she can get her phone. She soon realizes getting up is a bad idea when she feels a sharp pain, 10 times as painful as the pain she is going through. She decides to move slowly on the floor until she gets to the couch.

Maybe if she helps then Xander will be thankful to her then they can-. Liza immediately dismissed that thought, knowing it cannot happen.

If she helps now, she is helping them stay together and helping them build a family together. So if she is going to help, it just because it's the right thing to do, not because it will benefit her in any way.

So she does, "I don't think moving is a good idea." Liza comments as she takes out her phone. "I will call for help." 

~~~

How did she go from wanting to leave Cara to her fate to pacing in the hospital reception nervously, waiting to hear from the doctors? She is at the reception of the maternity ward and each passing second feels like hours. She probably shouldn't be here when Xander arrives but she can't bring herself to leave.

After a few minutes, Xander comes rushing into the hospital. He looks distressed as he stops at the nurse's desk. "Cara Green, she was brought in not too long ago," Xander says out of breath.

The nurse tries to control her inner fangirling when she set her eyes on him, "Y-yeah, the maternity ward on the third floor. You can wait at the reception for the doctor to give you more information."

Xander barely let her finish before hurriedly heading to the elevator. He presses the button a couple of times, this is when he realizes his hands are shaking. They have been shaking for a while now, his heart beating so fast, it hurts. He doesn't want to gather his thoughts, he doesn't want to think. His thoughts are a scary place to be in right now. He just wants to set his eyes on her, he just wants to see Cara.  

The elevator opens on the third floor and the first thing he set his eyes on was Liza. He loses it immediately.

She knew she can't reason with this Alexander the minute they lock eyes. She doesn't know this angry man approaching her with so much hate. It can't be the Alexander that adored her once upon a time, he literarily worshipped the ground she walked on. It can't be the Alexander that bought her expensive gifts and always reminded her how beautiful she is.

It can't be him.

She really took it too far this time. She knows that now.

"A-Alex-" Before she can call his full name, he pins her to the wall with his right hand tight on her slim neck. Her neck is so delicate in his hands, it feels like he can snap it at any time.