TWENTY SEVEN

He has no clue what he is going to say to her when he sees her, but he has to. There was no explanation she could give to justify her reason for sending his brother away even when she knew full well that he needed family but he seems to want to hear her explanation. 

Xander clenches his fist trying to summon the courage to ring the doorbell of her penthouse. He finally did and the door opens and reveals Liza's maid, Amber.

"Sir Alexander?"  Amber says in surprise. She never thought she will see Xander again given the fact she was there when Xander found out about Mark and Liza. It wasn't a pretty sight. Punches were thrown, hurtful words were said and hearts were broken.

"Is Liza in?" Xander asks walking past her into the penthouse. The penthouse is exactly how he remembers it, the beautiful view of LA's tall buildings, the prominent white aesthetics of room which Liza always said made the penthouse classy, and Xander's personal best, it's large roof terrace.  He bought it for her for 25th birthday after six months of hinting that she wanted it.

Xander had always wondered why she wanted a penthouse since she was always at his house but then again where will she have had her privacy to cheat.

"Yes Sir, I will go and call her," Amber says dashing up the stairs to inform her boss about her guest.

Xander didn't see the need for sitting so he remains standing, his hands in his pocket as he paces around the room.

When Liza received the news that Xander is downstairs she raced to the railings to look for herself before racing back to her room to make herself presentable. She let her blonde hair out of its bun and runs her hair through. She puts on a red silk pajamas dress and rushes back to the mirror to make sure she looks as effortless as possible before racing downstairs.

"Alex," Liza calls out softly as she stands on the last stair.

Xander turns around and their eyes meet. Liza greets him with the brightest smile as she walks towards his direction, "What are you doing here?"

"My dad's best friend, Uncle Mark, after my parents died he was a huge part of Xavier and I's life but then he stopped coming. What happened?" Xander says with a straight face.

The nervous laugh that escaped her lips gives her away, "W-what are you talking about?" She says tucking her hair behind her ears. "Why don't you sit down?" She gestures to the white couch.

"Just answer the question, Liza."

"I don't know where this question is coming from, I know just as much as you do. Mark had his own kids to take care of." Liza feigns confusion.

"Stop, just stop with lies, it's not like there's anything to lose if you say the truth."

For Liza she had everything to lose, she could lose Xander.

"Okay fine," Liza throws her hands up in frustration, "Your dad's BFF was trying to take the company from under your nose with his nice man act. He claims to be teaching you the ropes but he was planning something. I sensed it and I took care of it."

"What about sending my brother off?"

Liza lets out a low laugh, "That's one dramatic way to put it," Liza sits on her couch and crosses her legs.  "I just opened your brother's eyes to his unstable attitude and how it could affect you and he chose to leave."

"You had no right,"

"I did what you could not do, your brother was controversial and you needed to focus. You wouldn't have focused if you were playing baby sitter to a man-boy. he was going to bring you down with him. Look at how far you've come, all you have achieved. Everything I did, I did for you."