Chapter 5 - The Tenrou Island Race

All of us were sat down at the meet up point where camp was set up. The only ones who haven't made it back yet are Natsu and Happy, meaning that they have been eliminated from the trial.

"The riddles were fairly difficult but I would've thought that Natsu would've been able to work it out." Lucy commented.

"As I said earlier, all he knows how to do is fight, give him a puzzle or something and he's absolutely clueless, gee hee!" Gajeel chuckled.

"Well you couldn't solve the riddle we had." Levy replied.

"That's 'cause you were too quick, by the time I started figuring it out you already solved it." Gajeel explained as he crossed his arms.

"Oh well, one less competitor to worry about." I grinned.

We continued chatting until Master Makarov grabbed our attention to tell us about the next trial.

"So, five of you are left now to continue on to the next stage of the trial. This next test is definitely a test of endurance and teamwork." Master Makarov explained.

"I wonder what we have to do?" Lucy questioned.

"I don't know." I replied.

"We are going to have a Tenrou island race. A course has been marked out around the island, there will be obstacles in the way obviously, but you and your partner will be expected to work together in order to combat them." Master Makarov explained.

"I'm glad I worked on my stamina during training now." Freed commented.

"Yeah, same here." I replied.

"The course is one lap and whoever finishes last will be eliminated from the trial." Master Makarov said.

"I'm so dead." Lucy and Levy said in unison.

"There aren't really any rules for this race apart from the rule that flying is prohibited." Master Makarov pointed out.

"Oh darn!" Evergreen exclaimed.

"You didn't think it would be that easy did you?" Elfman questioned.

"I should've known." Evergreen sighed.

"The starting line is right behind me, go and line up." Master Makarov said.

All of us stood up and walked to the starting line of the course, preparing ourselves for the race.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay running in that outfit Freed? It's boiling hot already, and you're only going to get hotter once the race starts." I mentioned as I was stretching my arms and legs.

"I'll be fine, I've placed an enchantment on you and me which will stop us from getting too hot and will keep us hydrated. Besides, I've completed the 24hr Fairy Tail endurance race before dressed like this, so I'm sure I will be fine." Freed explained.

"Oh, okay." I replied.

Everyone was ready to start the race, we all stood in a starting stance to get ready to run when Master Makarov gave his signal.

"On your marks... get set... go!" Master Makarov declared.

Me and Freed were off, we started running through the forest, but I could hear moaning and complaining coming from behind me.

"What the hell Freed! This isn't fair at all!" Evergreen complained.

Me and Freed stopped running and looked behind us.

"Was an enchantment really needed?" I questioned with a smile on my face.

"Well, it guarantees us victory, anyway it'll wear off in five minutes, so we better get going." Freed responded.