Chapter 29: Nicole - Starting Over Again

I entered the delivery room with mixed emotions. I was ecstatic about the baby but at the same time I was scared as well. So when Tony arrived after I texted him that I was about to give birth, I begged him to be with me in the delivery room.

"Are you sure?" he asked me.

I nodded. "I told the doctor I would wait for you. I want you to be there." I tried to stop the tears from falling.

He squeezed my hand and kissed my forehead. "Nothing would keep me away."

I sighed happily. With Tony with me, I felt the anxiety melt away. But deep inside, I was hoping it was Matteo who was there for me instead.

But when I finally gave birth, I felt the disappointment in my heart disappear almost instantly once the doctor placed my baby in my arms. "My darling, Nikolai." An overwhelming joy filled my heart as I held my son. He looked so beautiful and peaceful that tears of happiness fell from my eyes. I turned my attention to Tony who was watching me intently. "Would you like to hold him?"

Tony looked at me hesitantly at first before agreeing. I gently placed Nikolai in his arms and watched him. He looked so scared and I knew it was because he feared he might drop the baby. I guess watching him with my son brought back memories of Matteo. Earlier I had texted Wacks that I was about to give birth. Would he tell Matteo about it? And would Matteo even care? I guess he wouldn't because he hadn't shown up anyway.

Then the doctor advised that they would bring me back to my room for me to rest. They would later bring the baby to the room so that we could be together. In the meantime, I had to regain the energy I lost when I delivered the baby. It was actually a good thing because when I was brought to the room, I immediately fell asleep.

By the time I woke up, I saw my sister and Tony talking. They were talking about someone being there, but I couldn't tell who it was. "Who's there?"

"No one. Just the doctor who wanted to see if you were already awake." I heard my sister say.

I sighed. I hated myself for hoping that it was Matteo who was there. But then again, I knew that wasn't possible. I had heard from Wacks that he had told Frances the truth and from the looks of it, she had accepted what happened since they were still together.

"How are you feeling?" Tony asked.

"Tired. I miss Nikolai already. When will they bring him here?"

"In a bit. He has to rest, too, you know." He kissed my forehead.

Thirty minutes later, my parents and brother arrived. I saw my sister and Tony leave the room, probably to give me time with Ma, Dad and Kuya.

"How are you, Nic?" Ma asked me worriedly.

"I'm fine. Just very tired."

"Is Matteo here as well?" she asked.

I winced at her question. I had forgotten that my sister was the only one who knew about what happened with Matteo. "He's, uh, probably out getting something to drink. He didn't want to be here with Tony. You know that..." It was a lie to prevent answering questions my mom might raise if she found out that Matteo and I weren't in speaking terms.

Then I saw my father nod. "I think I saw him at the nursery a while ago. She's right. Now that Tony and Nicole are friends again, it would be awkward to see him in the same room with the ex."

My eyes widened. Was Matteo here? That was unexpected. Ate Miranda would've said something if he were.

"I didn't know you and Tony got back together again, Nic." I heard my mother say.