Chapter 26 - Tony: Substituting Love

It's time.

And as promised, I will be there for her and nothing on earth will stop me.

Even the father of her son.

***

I was finally able to tell Nicole how I felt. It was after her baby shower. It had been an intimate event with a select number of people invited. Of course Nicole's best friends Monique and Dulce were there. At first it had been awkward because they still thought of me as the playboy I was when Nicole and I were still together. And seeing me there - I guess that surprised them as well. But Nicole defended me and said that I had been more than wonderful to her ever since that incident with Matteo.

That gave me the reason and the drive to finally admit what I felt about her.

I had been thinking about doing so ever since that day we spent watching the sunset riding the Ferris wheel. I loved her and I wanted to be there for her.

So I took a chance and told her.

It was right after I brought her home. We ordered take out and talked about Nikolai's birth and her plans afterwards. Before we knew it, it had already been late. And when she walked me to the door, I grabbed the opportunity. I held her tightly to me, kissed her, and told her the words I've longed to say for the longest time.

"I love you, Nicole Cabral."

***

'At St. Luke's. Please be here.'

When I received this message from Nicole, I immediately knew that she was due to give birth to Nikolai. I instantly filed for emergency leave and told my boss that my ex was due to give birth and I needed to be there for her. It was a good thing my boss was a friend of mine, otherwise I doubt anyone would consider that grounds for an emergency leave.

"Wow, Tony. Mature ka na!" My boss Caleb joked. "Didn't know you were already a daddy!" [You're finally mature]

"Gago." [Asshole]

"Seriously, man. You must really love, Nic. Even though you're not the father of the baby, you still want to be there for her."

"I was stupid. She needs me, Caleb. Payagan mo na kasi ako." [Give me permission already]

"Oo na. I never said I wasn't allowing you. I'll let Martin take over your work so better turn over your deliverables to him. You'll owe him for that though." [Yeah, yeah]

"All he wants is a date with Miranda Cabral. Since I'm in good terms with Nicole again, that wouldn't be too hard."

"Hey! I heard how hot she was from Martin. If you give me a date, kahit maternity leave papayagan kita!" [even if it's a maternity leave, I'll allow you]

When Caleb finally gave me permission, I left Martin instructions before leaving and he said he'd just drop by once the baby was born. I had to admit, I was felt pretty nervous as well. I knew Nicole was excited about the baby, and being there to witness it actually made me a bit excited, too. I drove to the hospital and greeted Miranda who told me that Nicole was already in the delivery room.

"If you want to be there to hold her hand, be my guest. I know she needs someone..." I knew that Miranda was pertaining to the MIA Matteo. "I have to be here to meet with my family. Ma and Dad are also on their way."

When I got to the delivery room, the nurse immediately let me in to see Nicole. I saw her on the hospital bed talking to her doctor. As soon as she spotted me, her eyes lit up. I walked to her side and held her hand tightly in mine.