Chapter 11 - Matteo: Unexpected Reunion

It's been almost four months since I last saw her.

We decided that because of what happened between us, we would cut all forms of communication with one another. We both agreed that we could never be friends and yet here I was standing in front of her coffee shop, wanting to see her again.

I guess this situation came to be because of the call I received from her sister.

Add to that what my girlfriend told me - Tony breaking up with her.

And maybe I did want to see her again. For old times sake.

Screw all that. I'm here because of what her sister told me.

***

A month ago, I received a call from Miranda Cabral, Nicole's sister. I never expected to hear from Nicole, and to get a call from her sister surprised me even more.

"Is this Matteo? You don't know me, so I'll tell you who I am. This is Miranda, Nicole's sister." She was just as direct, and supposing I knew a lot of Nicole's, I could still tell - without a doubt - that she was Nicole Cabral's sister. At first, I even thought that it was Nicole calling with a different name since they both sounded the same, except for the fact that Miranda sounded more serious than Nicole who seemed so bubbly. I knew there was no way Nicole would call me unless it was an emergency, and I guess it was since it was Miranda who did.

"Is something wrong with Nicole?" I immediately asked.

"Wow. Are you psychic?" Miranda replied. "There's a coffee shop in Katipunan called 'Funky Brewster'. Seven o'clock tomorrow. Don't be late." Then she hung up.

It could have been a prank call. I could probably be stood up if I decided to go. But there could also be something wrong with Nicole, especially since Frances told me that she and Tony broke up. I knew how it was between them. Tony never told my girlfriend why, and since Frances (as she put it) never really clicked with Nicole, she didn't probe for answers. Not that I asked.

But I have to admit that I was a bit curious to know the reason why Nicole and Tony broke up.

Nicole told me that she and Tony were in a relationship because of their mothers, who were best friends that wanted their children to get married (if possible). She never liked Tony. He was a playboy, out every night, drunk the following day, with girls frequently flirting with him and vice versa.

Tony was careful to not get caught though, Nicole had told me. All she was praying for was that she'd catch him one day and finally she'd have a reason to tell her parents that she could never be with Tony. Nor love him.

I knew exactly how she felt about his not having time for her at all. My girlfriend did the same thing to me...well minus the flirting part I guess. And as it was, she was also Tony's best friend and would always take his side, regardless if he was wrong or not.

There would also be times when she'd chose to be with him rather than me.

But I loved Frances. And if she was happy, then so was I.

Before I ended all communication with Nicole three months ago, I received a message from her. Tony had stood her up and she was all alone crying hysterically, begging me to pick her up. It was their anniversary and apparently, Tony chose to go out of town without her knowledge.

My only intent was to take Nicole home. But then I discovered that Tony wasn't alone. Frances was with him. Frances. My girlfriend.

That was the only time I got really mad at her for choosing Tony over me. And the funny thing is, I never confronted her about it afterward.