Chapter 17 - Matteo: Arranged Couple

I'm going to be a dad soon.

When I found out I was going to be a father I was scared at first. Who wouldn't be? I didn't really expect that I'd be a father much less that the mother of my unborn child was not my girlfriend. It was funny how fate worked...

When I found out I didn't know what to do so I offered to marry the mother of my baby. It was the first thing that popped in my head since I grew up without a father and I didn't want to walk down that same path. It took me a week to get my thoughts together and the first person I sought advice from was of course my mom.

She was surprised when I told her. I couldn't blame her. But the good thing about it was she never judged me, even if the circumstances were not as ideal as she hoped they would be. Instead of getting mad that I got someone pregnant, she surprised me by being excited that she was going to be a grandmother. I told her about Nicole's decision and she surprisingly agreed to it. "I would have wanted you two to get married, but she's right, Teo. Don't get married for the sake of the baby. In the end it would only make matters worse if in the long run you and Nicole don't see eye to eye."

She also wanted to meet Nicole, which was surprising because she never bothered to want to meet with Frances. But then again, Nicole was carrying her grandchild so I guess that was probably the reason why.

So after seeking advice from my mom - and my two younger sisters who were as excited as she was - I finally decided to see Nicole again. I brought her to Brew's Corner and told her my thoughts. I still wanted to marry her, but I would respect her decision. Then we talked about how our set-up with be before the baby came and after she gave birth. I told her that I wanted to be there for her all the way and would pick her up if I wasn't picking Frances up from work. Since Frances and I rarely spent weekends together, Nicole and I would spend it together. I promised to be there for all the ultrasounds, and of course, nothing would keep me away from the day that she actually gave birth.

It was the perfect set-up.

I just hoped Frances wouldn't find out.

***

Every morning I make it a point to drop by her coffee shop. Every time I visit, she greets me with a smile on her face. She always insists that I didn't need to visit her everyday but I always tell her I wanted to. And I did.

I knew it made her happy and I love seeing her happy. Seeing her smile always brightened up my day.

"Good morning, Sir Matteo." Her baristas often greet me. "Ma'am Nicole is in her office." I've been such a frequent visitor that they already know the reason why I was there.

When I entered her office, she greeted me with a warm hug. "Daddy!"

It's a strange set-up, even I thought so at first. I've grown so used to it already. I've already told Wacks about the set-up, too.

"Baka naman ma-in love ka sa kanya." Wacks would often tease me. I did let him meet Nicole once, after he had pestered me about it. But before I even let that happen, I made him swear not to tell Frances about Nicole. [You may fall in love with her]

"As if we're close. She doesn't know my name, dude. I'll forever be Jack to her." he told me.

Nicole and Wacks seemed to get along. Nicole loved how funny Wacks was and how he often complained that I wasn't treating him the way he deserved to be treated. Wacks loved her instantly because she immediately asked what his real name was - Joaquin Fajardo - hence the nickname "Wacks". And because she never called him 'Jack', he loved her all the more.

Unfortunately, Wacks was the only friend I'd told about Nicole. The less people knew about it, the better my chances that Frances wouldn't find out.