Chapter 13 - Tony: Unexpected Rejection

It's over.

I don't know how it happened.

And for the first time, I don't know what to do.

***

When I decided to take Frances on an out of town trip to Cagbalete Island, the main reason was to make up for the times I had mistreated her and took our friendship for granted. What I did not expect were the events that followed.

I had stupidly forgotten that I was supposed to meet Nicole that night. I guess it was because I was too focused on making Frances happy that I neglected Nicole's happiness. I had turned my phone off because I knew Nicole would be looking for me. At that time, I didn't want her to know I'd be with Frances and I figured she wouldn't really mind because Frances and I usually hung out during weekends. What I forgot was the most important thing - our anniversary dinner. So when I finally turned on my phone that night at the resort, I received a bunch of messages from Nicole:

Happy anniversary, Tony. I love you. I can't wait for tonight.

Why can't I reach your phone? Please text me when you read this. 7PM at Hype. Don't forget :)

Why aren't you replying? At least tell me if you're going to be late.

Are you even coming to our anniversary dinner? Where the hell are you?!

Don't bother. I found out from Martin. You asshole.

You are so dead.

I hate your guts.

You are such an asshole. Unforgivable. I hate you.

I tried calling her phone, but she turned it off after receiving a couple of rings from me. I knew she was pissed. And I didn't know what to do. So I went back to where Frances was and lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.

I thought that at least I'd be able to talk to Frances and she'd help me with the situation. I didn't expect that I'd be in another sticky situation. Because when I did open up to her, I was surprised by her reaction. I felt her move close to me and what she did next was unexpected - she kissed me. I was too busy thinking about my issue with Nicole that I wasn't able to react. And even if I could - it would not be the reaction she would want. When she pulled away, she ran back to the room.

If I already felt like such an asshole to Nicole, what Frances said made me feel more of an asshole than ever. "I loved you, Tony." I heard her say when I followed her back to the room.

I didn't know what to say. So I just hugged her tight and let her cry. "I'm sorry..."

She cried harder. "I loved you for four years. I tried getting over you by choosing Matteo but no matter what I do..." She buried her face on my chest. "After tonight I promise to let the feelings go. You're my best friend, Tony. I don't want to lose you."

"I'm sorry..." It was the only thing I could say again.

"Do you love her?"

I couldn't reply. Saying so would just hurt her even more.

"I need to get some air." She suddenly stood up and walked to the door. "I'm sorry for ruining this trip, Tony."

I watched her exit the room and leave me behind to watch her retreating back.

First Nicole, now Frances. I was such a jerk.

But what Frances asked me actually hit a nerve. Did I really love Nicole? Or was it because we were together that saying 'I love you' became automatic between us? I pulled out my phone and re-read all the messages she left.