Chapter 4 - Tony: The Prodigal Son

I've never believed in relationships.

I guess it has something to do with my independent nature since I hate being tied down to anything.

But then she came.

And it changed everything.

***

It all began when my mom excitedly told me that she finally got in touch with one of her best friends from college.

"Your Tita Mercedes has two daughters, Jestoni. It's perfect! We always dreamed of matching our children together."

"Si Kuya na lang." [Let it be my older brother] [Kuya = older brother]

"Your Kuya is getting married next year."

"Not married yet."

"Ay, nako, Jestoni! Just meet up with her!" [My goodness, Jestoni!]

"You set up a date with one of them already? Mom, I already have girlfriend." Technically that was true. I just didn't mention how many.

"You're not married yet."

"Who knows? Anything can happen."

She laughed. "You'll change your mind when you see her."

Wanna bet, Mom? If she only knew that I'd already met several women – and I knew just how to handle each type. However, I could never say 'no' to my mom who was looking at me with a look that meant I had no choice but to obey. "Fine, I'll meet up with her." And make her regret meeting me, I silently added. Just as I knew how to win a woman's heart, I also knew what turned them off.

She clapped her hands excitedly. "Her family owns a coffee shop in Katipunan called 'Funky Brewster'. 7pm tomorrow. Her name's Miranda. Don't let me down."

These were the times when I wished my best friend was there to talk to. I knew Frances would love to hear about my mother's match-making attempt. If there was one girl in the world I knew who would understand me – that would be her. She knew just how my mind ticked, and it would have been interesting to know what she thought about the whole idea. But then I realized that it had been a year since we last spoke to one another. That again was my fault.

It happened a year ago when I went to her apartment after a night of clubbing. I had taken advantage of her by kissing her and almost treated her the same way I did with the other women in my life. I knew that it was wrong of me and because of what happened, I couldn't face her yet. I didn't have the guts to. So for the past year since that incident, I guess I lost it. She had always been there to reprimand me and at the same time served as that one person who gave me peace of mind. I couldn't take advantage of her any more than I already did so I took the easy way and bailed on her.

***

When I got to Funky Brewster, I told one of the baristas that I was looking for Miranda Cabral. I was told she was outside waiting for me. I had of course made it a point to be an hour late. I knew women hated waiting - and since her family owned the coffee shop, I knew she had no choice but to wait for me.