Chapter 1 - Matteo: Boyfriend Material

I'm just your average guy.

I've always been content with what I have.

I don't expect a lot. I don't push too much to get what I want.

This is probably one of the reasons why I suck at having a relationship.

***

I met her after graduating from college. It happened while I was waiting for the results of a prospect job interview – incidentally, we were both vying for the same position. She wasn't exactly what most people would consider beautiful, but she would certainly stand out in any crowd. She was tall and slim, her hair cut really short, and I noticed that she had a certain mannerism of blowing her baby bangs away from her face that made her look adorable.

"I bet you'll get the job," she told me.

I wasn't really used to the idea of strangers trying to make conversation with me. "Don't you want it, too?"

She laughed and shook her head. "Not really. I have tons of other applications."

"Then why come here at all?"

"Felt like it. Plus it's near my condo."

I couldn't help it. I laughed.

"You're cuter when you laugh. Laugh ka ulit." [Laugh again]

I stupidly did.

She laughed, too, then checked her watch. "I have to tell the receptionist I'm leaving. It was nice meeting you. My name is Frances."

It was then that I realized – when she was about to leave – that I wanted to get to know her more. It was as though I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I let her walk out that door. I guess it was the confidence she projected that attracted me. She intrigued me, and although there was a possibility that she might reject me if I asked for her number, I still did.

Thankfully she didn't reject me. What followed after that was a string of endless conversations and occasional dates. When she was in my area, she'd usually give me a ring and we'd either grab a bite to eat or watch a movie. Whenever I would drop her home, she'd always call an hour later just to check if I arrived home safe, and so began the routine of talking before we went to sleep. We became attached to one another – it had become a routine for us – and spending it with her made it all worth it.

By the way, I got the job and she didn't, obviously.

***

I've known her for four years – courted her for the first two, and we've been together for the two years that followed. Our relationship wasn't that ideal. But I realized that not all relationships were always smooth sailing. She was the type who rarely voiced out her emotions and would often have difficulty expressing them as well. However, I was still drawn to her. It became a challenge for me to try and see if I could win her heart.