Chapter 3 - Frances: Besties

I'm in love with my best friend.

I know there is no way he will love me back, and I've learned to accept that.

As long as he needs me, I will be there. As long as I can be with him, I will be happy.

Even if he has someone else.

Even if it means hurting the one person who actually loves me.

***

I met Tony in college.

Super playboy, super flirt. He thinks no one can resist him. I guess it had something to do with his upbringing. He was the typical Fil-Am: Filipino mom, American dad. But unlike his siblings who stayed abroad, he preferred to live in the Philippines and become independent, which was one of the reasons why women found him irresistible. He was smart, talented, and very handsome – the typical hunk. He was taking up computer engineering, I was taking up interior designing. We didn't really run in the same circles since our colleges were buildings apart - that was until we had a beauty/popularity pageant I was tasked to organize.

There were several candidates per college, per course. He was vying of course for Mr. Engineering. How we met was really an interesting story. Apparently, Tony was such a flirt, that the boyfriend of one of the candidates was hunting Tony down for trying to steal his girlfriend. I was busy designing the venue when Tony ran towards me asking me where he could hide for a while.

By that time, I had known of his 'history' with the ladies, as well as his present situation with the certain Ms. Tourism. "You should stop with all the flirting. It's not good for the image."

He laughed. "I can't help it. I'm a guy."

"And a troublesome one. Look at what's happening with you now. You know her boyfriend is a varsity player. He can easily throttle you. Either he does or his teammates do."

"C'mon, Princess. Won't you help me out?" I could tell he was already trying his 'signature moves' with me. I guess he really lived up to his name.

Then the boyfriend arrived, his face red with anger. "Jestoni Parker, keep away from my girlfriend!"

I sighed. Might as well save the day. "Hey Vera! What do you want with my boyfriend?"

That took James Vera by surprise. "He's your boyfriend? Then why the hell is he flirting with my girlfriend?" He didn't seem to believe me. I wouldn't have, too, if I were in his shoes.

So I decided to go into 'acting mode' – which thankfully managed to convince both Tony and James. I hit Tony on the head. "Haven't I told you to stop flirting with other women behind my back? Didn't I tell you I'd break up with you if I found out?" I think I got carried away because I couldn't stop hitting Tony. That actually caught James off guard because he suddenly backed off. I guess he grew uncomfortable with seeing a lovers' quarrel.