Inescapable Hot Box - Chapter 3

I'm so so so so so so so so so incredibly sorry this chapter has taken so long to write, but I want you to know how much I appreciate all of your endless support and another short will be posted shortly, and as ironic as that sounds, Season two is over and it's time i did a rewatch for stories that i can write. I have worked time into my schedule every day and hopefully I will start banging out chapters left and write.

~ Andy Herrera ~

We weakly stumbled around the garage searching desperately for anything to use that could be used to create a big enough explosion or launch something with enough force to dent the door. Suddenly I tripped and fell, unable to catch myself in time, my body moving too sluggish due to the ever rising heat index. I landed with a thud infront of the water heater, Maya rushed to my side in an instant, fear quickening her movements. She tried to roll me over gently but I shrugged her hands off me, I let out a light laugh as I stared at the small box on the base of the water heater. out of the corner of my eye I caught Maya and Reis exchange a worried and utterly terrified glance. Maya was still trying to find the right words to ask me I was still sane when Reis said "Is it the heat... or... um... has um... has she... cracked? Like um... Like a nut... Ya know...?" Maya shook her head at Reis's question and said "Andy... What the um... What the hell?" 

I weakly lifted the the hand of my good arm to point at the water heater, and the pilot light access box that was now staring me in the face. I heard Maya sigh in relief as Reis said "Cool...I thought... Um... that um..." Maya scoffed as she finished Reis's sentence "That Andy... lost... Her um... Her marbles?" I rolled onto my back and said "We can um... Unstrap the... The uh... Water heater... From the wall." Maya nodded continuing the thought as she caught on to the idea, she said "We lay it down... And um... Point the face of the heater to... To um... To the back wall and uh... The box.. The..." I continued "Point the box end to... To the um... The door... Since the valve is what... What will uhm... Feed the um... The um..." Reis who had been glancing between Maya and I, fascinated with our exchange finally butted in. She said "Will feed the fire... That the uh.... Pilot light  Will ignite...?" I nodded and said "Yeah..."

I tried to sit up again as Maya said "We have to do this now... Or um... We'll be too weak to..." spots began to dance in my vision the moment I tried to pull myself up and before I knew it I was falling back into someone's arms. I heard familiar voices muffled and distant as blackness over took my vision.

~Maya Bishop~

No matter how hard Reis and I tried to get Andy to wake up nothing worked, not shouting, not gently shaking her, not slapping her, nothing. Reis stating "Oh... Sh*t." Drove me back into focus, out of the panic of worry. I said "What?... What's-?" She pointed to a growing purple and blue mark that sprouted from behind the makeshift brace. I threw my head back for a second and screamed "God... No... Andy, No!" Reis questioned "That's um... Not good? Right?" I shook my head as I said "Before we um... start with the... the uh... Heater... We have to move her... She's um... Her arm... It's um... Internal bleeding." Reis and I managed to move Andy to a safe distance from the water heater. I knew that if the heat index wasn't so high tears would be streaming down my face. Reis rested a weak hand on my shoulder and said "Let's get the heater... um... Ya know?" I nodded and said "Yea... The quicker we... uh... Do this, the um... Quicker we can um..." Reis finished my sentence for me, stating "That we can... all um... all get outa here, and um... get help..." 

I don't know how long it took for Reis and I to set up the water heater to explode, but we finally accomplished it and it felt like sweet victory, like I could almost feel cool air despite the ever rising heat. Hughes voice on the other side of the door shouted "Ready and clear when you are!" That was when Andy started to stir she let out a grunt as she sat up using her good arm and said "Ohh... What um... What happened? Did I uhm... Did I... uh...?" I turned to see Reis at her side, REis replied "Yea... You passed out... Maya said it's uh... that it's normal, and you uh... You'll be fine..." I was about to walk over when Reis looked at me and said "I got her... You uhm... Light the uh... The thing..." I walked over to the lit rag in the bottle of gasoline in my hand, before I said "Reis grab Andy's turnout.... and uh... cover her um... to...-" Reis cut me off and said "I'm uh... yea..."