Rubble of Skyhigh Collapse - Chapter 3

The doctor sighed before she said "We were able to get her bleeding under control, the rebar was successfully removed without much complication, and we stitched closed the injury to her torso. There was a some internal damage which we were able to correct. Her crush syndrome injuries are minor, with proper care and monitoring will heal in time. She also suffered head trauma, which we believe to be the initial injury. She may have a concussion, but we can't be sure until she regains consciousness. She is very lucky, if you had brought her here any later then things could have played out much worse." I didn't realise I was holding my breath until the dark blonde doctor said "It's alright, breathe, Andy is okay, she should be settled into the Intensive Care Unit by now, if you would like we can go and see her together." I nodded standing up, I followed slightly behind the doctor, as she led the way to the room where Andy was being treated. After a short while the Doctor said "This is the room." 

She stopped me as I went to walk into the room, gently grabbing my arm she said "Hold on, Andy isn't going anywhere, I still have a few things to discuss with you that I figured would be inappropriate for the crowded waiting room." I creased my brow slightly confused and said "I understand." I turned to face the doctor and she said "As a firefighter you probably know the ICU is for more at risk and critical patients..." She trailed off and stared at me questioning that assumption, and I nodded and said "Right." The doctor then said "With crush syndrome you can never be one hundred percent sure if the individual has made it 'out of the woods,' everyone reacts slightly different, so as a precaution there will be a nurse stationed in Andy's room at all times, monitoring her condition. She will be kept sedated for the time being, her body has suffered a severe trauma, and in your line of work it's mentally taxing as well physically. We will keep her sedated for twenty four hours at maximum, to give her a chance to recover before we wake her up." I said "Thank you so much doctor, and um... Is there a phone I can use, I need to call Andy's father, and let him know what's happened, as well as the rest of 19." The doctor said "there is a phone located in almost every room dial +1 to call outside of the hospital." Then doctor smiled slightly and said "Now why don't we go see Andy." 

I smiled ever so slightly back at her as she led me into the room. Upon entering I brought my hands up covering my nose and mouth as I whispered "Ohh Andy." It was in that instant that I was grateful for the doctors presence, her silent comforting strength, keeping me grounded. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I walked to Andy's bedside, it broke my heart to see her connected to so many machines and IV's. I sat down and very gently placed my hand over Andy's, afraid that if I held it too tightly or moved too quickly that she would break. The doctor said "A nurse should be in shortly, I have to go now, but I will check on Andy's condition periodically and I will be sure that you are notified if anything changes Ms." Realizing that the doctor and I hadn't been introduced I said "Bishop." The doctor, confused by my sudden statement of the word said "What?" I turned to face the dark blonde doctor and said "My name is Maya Bishop." The doctor walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder comfortingly and said "My name is Meredith Grey and if you need anything don't hesitate to ask for me." I said "Thank you." The doctor then turned and walked out of the room, leaving me to grieve over Andy's condition. I carefully leaned down and rested my head on my hand that is gently holding Andy's, I closed my eyes and said "Your okay, it's going to be okay." Not sure if I was directing the statement toward Andy or myself. I sat up after several minutes and glanced at the phone on the small table in the corner of the room. I got up, walking over I picked up the phone and dialed the number for the station, knowing  Pruitt, the former Captain was likely still there watching the news, waiting for us to return. 

~ Andy Herrera ~

I awoke to find bright white light filled my vision, blinding me, it took several seconds for my eyes to adjust. I creased my brow in confusion and looked around, "how did I end up in a hospital, why do I feel like I've been run over by a ladder engine." I noticed my dad sitting to my right, he was staring at the far wall, probably lost in thought, a nurse is sitting in the far corner reading a book. I said "Hey, papi wh-." A gasp of pain, as I tried to sit up, abruptly ending my question. My sudden movement launched the nurse into action, as my dad said "Andrea, thank goodness you've finally woken up." I looked at him confused as the nurse helped me to lie back down slowly, "Finally?" I thought "How long could I have I been out?" The nurse said "Careful, you don't want to rip you stitches out, try not to move around too much, you have suffered minor crush injuries, internal bleeding, and head trauma, possible concussion. You recently had surgery to remove a piece of rebar for the left-mid of your torso. You also received a fairly large blood transfusion, so if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, don't panic. I will be back in a moment, I need to page Dr. Grey and talk to the head nurse about scheduling you for a concussion screening." 

I nodded and turned to my dad more confused than before I said "What happened? The last thing I remember was the building shaking from the explosion and... Something heavy hitting my helmet." My dad sighed and said "Don't ruin your recovery, the captain position can wait, and I'm not really sure how to say this but... Um... Miha, the captains race is over Chief Ripley appointed Robert Sullivan to be the captain of 19. You've been here for almost a week-." I cut him off shocked, I said "One, if you want me to listen to the doctor then you better start listening to yours, and two, a week?! What the hell happened!" My dad only evaded the question once again, he said "He isn't the smoothest fellow, jumps to conclusions based on first impressions, but he is structured and orderly. I know you are upset about not making captain and I know your mad at me particularly, so I beg you Miha focus on you, and your recovery for the time being, the station can wait." 

I turned to stare at the ceiling and said "This can't be happening, I can't believe this is happening. I go down in a skyscraper fire, new captain is appointed, and no one will even tell me exactly what happened to me." I closed my eyes and shook my head slightly frustrated, "I want so badly to throw off the thin covers of the hospital bed, storm out of the room and demand answers, but I know thats not the smartest thing to do in my current condition." I was in the midst of taking a deep breath a to calm myself, when the familiar voice of Dr. Grey said "Nurse Emmitson paged me that you were awake. I'm glad to see you're already itching to get out of here, but unfortunately you still have awhile before you can be released." I let out an annoyed huff, and said "Great, but can you please tell me how the hell I got here?!" Dr. Grey cast a glance at my dad who shook his head 'no' Dr. Grey said "You have been in and out of consciousness for the past two and a half days I was worried that you weren't going to pull through. That the head trauma or crush injuries were too much for your body to handle with added stress of surgery. We kept you sedated for a full twenty four hours after admittance to give you a period of noncognitive rest and recovery." 

She walked to the side of the bed opposite my dad, she then said "You've been scheduled for a concussion screening later today, and based on your current stable condition I estimate that you'll be able to be released in a week or so." I sighed and moved to sit up wincing in pain, Dr. Grey quickly moving to help me, she rearranged the head pillows to support me in a semi-sitting position. Helping me to get situated, Dr. Grey turned to the nurse in the far corner who had returned unnoticed and said "Nurse Emmitson could you please go get something for Ms. Herrera to eat." The nurse said "Of course, Dr. Grey." Before walking out of the hospital room, my dad and Dr. Grey shared a look, and then he stood up and said "One of your co-workers will be here soon, they've taken to sitting with you in shifts when I'm not here, even Mr. Tanner." I watched my dad start walking towards the door and was about to tell him not to go until one of the team got here, but he seemingly read my mind and said "You and the Doctor should talk alone." I watched my dad walk out of the room, once I could no longer see him I locked eyes with Dr. Grey who was gazing at me with a knowing expression. Immediately I knew that the conversation that followed wasn't going to be a good one, I took a deep breath to prepare myself for the words to come.