Rubble of Skyhigh Collapse - Chapter 6

It's been a week and a half, and I am finally able to get released today. Dean rolled Vic in on a wheelchair both of them smiling wide. Dr. Grey and Dr. Bailey came into the room, a few steps after. Dr. Bailey said "Once you finish signing the necessary paperwork, and Dr. Grey clears you to leave your free to go Herrera. Although do us all a favor and try to not to run into any fires any time soon." I gave a slight laugh and said "Thank you Dr. Bailey, I will do my best to stay out of trouble." She gave me a stern look, and said "Mmm hmm." Before walking out of the room a joking smile on her face. Dr Grey walked over and handed me a click board, I sat up carefully, and swung my legs over the side of the hospital bed. I filled out the paperwork as fast as I could, Dr. Grey laughing at how messy my handwriting became as I filled out the forms. When I was completely finished I handed her back the click board and said "Now?" She nodded chuckling she said "Yes, your free to go, but I still have to walk you to the patient pick-up door. So hold your horses Herrera." Dr. Grey and Miller helped me to stand, Vic got out of the wheelchair and pushed it closer, while Miller and and Dr. Grey helped me over. Miller said "I got it." As I sat down, Vic leaned down over my shoulder and said "I think it's time for a jail break, don't you agree?" I smiled and said "I completely agree."

Miller pushed the wheelchair as Dr. Grey led the way to the patient pick-up exit, Vic sitting on my lap. I said "You comfortable?" She said "No not really, but I don't really feel like walking, and why pass up a free ride." I shook my head and said "Thanks so much." Vic then said "Oh yea, by the way, the whole station may or may not be waiting for you outside, plus your dad, and Sullivan actually sent out invites to Frankle and Ripley but I don't think they'll be joining us to celebrate your release." Miller said "I think that's the door." Dr. Grey stopped and turned to us as Miller slowed the wheelchair to a halt. She said "Alright Andy, I'll see you in a week for a check up, remember a little exercise walking, sitting up, leg stretches, is all I want you to be doing, nothing more. You may feel fine, but your body is still recovering, I'm estimating that you will be able to start physical therapy in about four weeks. Please call me or the hospital if you need anything, or have any questions. Now get out of here and try to obey your doctors orders." I nodded and said "Thank you so much Dr. Grey." Vic got up and walked out next to me shouting "The badass bitch of nineteen is back!" I rolled my eyes as Miller wheeled me out of the hospital, I put a hand over my mouth shock none the less to see the entire station waiting for me next to Maya's car. They all walked over, providing joyful welcomes back, comforting words and hugs. Sullivan was the last to greet me he simply extend a hand and said "I don't typically do this sort of thing, but I'm glad you got released, I hope the rest of your recovery goes well. I'll see you again when you return to duty." 

After he simply walked away, I said "He sure is bubbly isn't he." Montgomery walked back over and said "Yea... You know what else is bubbly, champagne, and Vic, Maya and Jack planned a welcome back party at your dads." I sighed and said "Oh, guys... I don't think, I-." Maya cut me off and said "Oh Come on, admit you've been just itching to go home and have good time." I said "mmm, maybe a little, but I-." Vic cut me off and said "I believe that is Herrera speak for 'yes.' Am I correct? Let's get this party started people." She danced her way toward Maya's car and I laughed as Miller pushed me over, Jack and Tanner helped me into the back seat of the car. I felt pain spark up into a flare but ignored it and leaned the seat back so I could lie more comfortably. Vic got in the passenger's seat, Maya into the drivers, and Dean got into the back, sitting to my left. I said "Thank you for being so willing to help me get around Miller." He said "Oh it's no problem, you would do the same for me." I nodded slightly closing my eyes.

I was shaken awake by Maya, Dean was standing slightly behind her, I saw that Vic was already halfway to the house over their shoulders. Maya said "You know if your not feeling up to it, I can always take you back to my place, and you can relax there. I have a feeling this party will go on very late, since shift is already over for today." I shook my head and said "No, I'm good, I'm fine, let's go, their probably waiting to cut some cake or something." Maya exchanged glances with Miller, and she said "Alright if your sure, but if you want to go for any reason, let me know, and we can go to my place." Miller leaned over and scooped me up, lifting me into his arms bridal style. I let out a slight gasp at the sudden jolting motion. He questioned "Sorry, I should've done that more carefully." I wrapped an arm over his shoulders and said "It's okay, it was just jolting is all." He nodded and carried me up the front steps, I looked over his shoulder watching Maya as she closed the door and locked her car, she looked up locking eyes with me, she smiled slightly. Then dropped my gaze and followed looking concerned.

Miller leaned down and I reached out, opening the door for him, he walked in and said "Anyone order a medium sized Herrera?" I rolled my eyes as he set me down on the couch, Vic handed me a bottle and said "I figured you could use a beer." I cheersed with her and said "Thank you, but I'm not supposed to be drinking, doctor's orders." Pruitt said "I think it would good for you to drink water Miha, keep hydrated, medication and recovery can take a lot out of you." I said "I agree." Tanner spoke up from where he had been standing behind the couch, he said "I'll go get you a glass, don't get up." Vic took the beer bottle from me and said "No worries, just means more for me." I threw my hands up and said "Okay, I'm not some helpless little girl, would you guys stop fussing. Seriously I'm fine, I'm great, really, everything's great. This is great, you guys are great, stop worrying I'm not incapable, I'm just at a disadvantage right now, thats all, so seriously stop worrying, I am fine." Jack said "On that note, no one get drunk alright we still have two people in regular medical care, and we don't need them to have to worry about our drunk asses okay. Now Warren, where's the music man you had one job." 

Warren plugged his phone into the AUX cord and said "It's right here." He turned the dial up carefully so it played loudly in the background. Ryan walked around the couch and said "Here's your water." I took the cup of water and said "Thank you, but a bottle of water would have been just fine too." My dad cut in and said "The house has been a real mess without you here, I keep forgetting to buy groceries and it's difficult trying to do things when your not reading the manual to me." I raised an eyebrow and said "Whoa dad, thanks for springing this on me now, why didn't you tell me you were having such a hard time. I could of have had the whole station helping you too, you don't have to do everything alone dad. You have people who care about you, I care about you, I thought we talked about you not keeping things from me anymore." Ryan cut in "I've been trying to stop by on regular occasion but these past few days I've been really busy." Warren walked over and said "You know, a party is supposed to be fun, a time of celebration and it won't be that way if you keep talking about how difficult the past few week have been for everyone. For one night, just cut loose, forget about everything but having a good time. 

Several hours later, a cake had been cut an eaten, a small dance battle had occurred, and currently everyone was virtually raving in the living room, my dad was sitting next to me on the couch. He said "you should get up, dance a little, I don't mean party hard, but you could get up dance as long as you're not jumping, or moving around like crazy, just take it slow." I said "You know what, your right, I can get loose, I can have fun, I'm going to go dance." I got up slowly, Maya who had been hovering close by the majority of the party, rushed over and griping the upper of my arms she said "What are you doing? You should sit down." I said "I'm dancing." She shook her head at me and said "You know, how did I know you'd completely ignore the doctor." I slowly walked with her to where everyone was dancing in the center of the living room and said "Technically, it's walking with more arm movement, while standing in place, or taking small steps."

 She sighed and said "There's no point in trying to change your mind is there?" I shook my head 'no' smiling as I cautiously began to start dancing, Maya at my side. I noticed Jack and Ryan moved closer ready to support me if I needed it. I smiled and said "Now, it's a party." Maya laughed and said "So this is what easygoing Andy is like?" I rolled my eyes and said "Oh stop, I can be easy breezy if I want to be, I just normally don't have time to." Maya laughed and said "Thats one of the oldest excuses in the book."I shrugged and said "yea, but it's a good one." Maya simply shook her head. We all continued to dance and talk, the music playing in the background, for hours. I honestly couldn't name a time that I had just let loose, and this was probably about as close as I was going to get especially when I still have my recovery to keep in mind.