Rubble of Skyhigh Collapse - Chapter 9

I stumbled and collapsed to the floor for what felt like the millionth time. Dr Grey sighed from where she was standing a few feet away. She said "Andy you know pushing yourself like this is only going to make your recovery last longer. Why don't I go get the orthopedic specialist, and you to can hash out a better physical therapy plan, I really-." I cut her off as I started to push myself up off the ground. I said "No, he doesn't get that I'm not only trying to recover, but that my main focus is recovering enough to go back to duty. He keeps trying to tell me to take an even longer leave of absence and I've already been away a month and a half. I told Sullivan that I would be ready for duty once my two month leave was up, and I have two weeks left, and I just-." I cut myself off as I finished pushing myself to my feet.

I stood up swaying slightly exhausted Dr. Grey put a concerned hand on my arm and said "Andy, I really think you should be working with an Orthopedic specialist, my area of expertise is surgery, simply having gone through this process before doesn't make me an expert." I grabbed the support rail to my right tightly and said "I'm sorry, I-, I asked for you to help me with this whole recovery thing because I want to limit the number of people who would see me like this weak and wounded to as minimal as possible. Look, I don't like to fail, I don't like to stumble and collapse trying to jog across the room, jogging." I scoffed the last word and shook my head, then I turned gripping the metal support bar to my right with both hands. 

I said "Imagine if I was on duty wearing my helmet, hood, turnout coat and pants, my boots and air pack, thats forty-five pounds alone, without any extra gear and keep in mind that the gear we need varies from rescue to rescue. Depending on what we need for a rescue I could be carrying up to seventy-five pounds on my back, not even counting the weight of a victim or what I might have to lift the get to that victim and I can barely jog across this room." I pushed away from the support bar frustrated and said "You know what, forget it, forget I said anything, it's not like you can magically fix me anyway." Dr. Grey gave me disconsolate gaze and said "Why don't we work on reps, push ups and planks again. We can focus on gaining back your upper body muscle mass, and by continuing the daily stretch exercises, you can work up to lifting heavier weights and the running on the stairclimber." I nodded and said "Okay..." As I walked over to the weights, Dr. Grey following closely. 

I hadn't notice anyone enter the room as I was pushing myself to do as many sit-ups as I could before the discomforting throb of my side became torturing. The sound of Dr. Grey greeting the individual broke me from my trance. She said "Come in, we are almost finished with the session, and if you could, make sure she goes home and rests. The only exercising I want her doing outside of physical therapy are stretches. Which are only to be done in the morning, afternoon and evening, and they should only take about ten to fifteen minutes." Dr. Grey then said "Okay Andy last exercise, one lap around the entire Orthopedics wing, I know you can do it, just... Think of the station and how much you want to get back to duty, and remember no more than a jog, you hear me, I don't need you collapsing in the hallway. I will wait outside the door, I know that you can do this."

I took in a deep breath from where I was now sitting on the floor before I stood up and gazed at her determined I said "Okay... I can do this... I can do this." I turned to the doorway expecting to see Montgomery but was shocked to see Captain Sullivan standing there arms crossed a neutral expression on his face. His eyes tracked my every move as I walked towards him until I was standing directly infront of him. I said "Excuse me, but your blocking the door." He moved to the side and said "Dr. Grey would you be opposed to my accompanying Herrera?" She shook her head and said "No, not at all, I was about to page one of the interns to tail her, although there's no need for them if your going with her, but if she stumbles or starts to struggle, I don't want her to continue, just walk back here with her, I really do not want her to push herself past her limits." 

I rolled my eyes and said "She is right here and can hear you talking about her." Dr. Grey chuckled and said "Just go." I shook my head and walked out the door, starting down the hall at a slow jog, a discomfort building in my chest not long after. I could hear Captain Sullivans light, easy, jogging steps behind me as I jogged down the hall. I turn the corner rounding the first section of the wing. Sullivan said "Slow down Herrera it's not a race, you're supposed to be jogging, not pushing yourself to your limits, you've been gaining speed since the moment you walked out that door, and if you don't slow down your going to hurt yourself, and your recovery will take even longer. Just because you think your fine doesnt mean that you are." I stopped suddenly, and my legs buckled slightly at the abrupt motion, I braced myself against the nearest wall and turned to face Sullivan before he could offer me any form of assistance.

I said "Just because you came here to, I don't know what exactly, that doesn't give you the right to start acting like my doctor, I understand that you think your just looking out for me, but I've told you before I know what I can and can't handle, and if I felt like I couldn't handle jogging briskly down the hallway then I would stop and ask you to help me back to the P.T. room." I pushed off of the wall and started jogging again, glad that Sullivans following distance increased. As I rounded the last corner I slowed, Dr. Grey coming into view, Sullivan stated "She pushed herself." Before he walked past me to toward the direction of the elevator. I opened my mouth to protest but Dr. Grey said "No that's good, that you pushed yourself and you made it back here with little to know trouble. I'm proud of you, you accomplished a lot today, and I expect to see you again in a week, same time." 

I nodded and said "Thank you, for giving me a confidence boost, I needed it." She smiled and said "Sometimes the mind is more powerful than the body, remember that, and do your stretches, or I'll have Bishop on you like a hawk." I grabbed my jacket from the table and said "I will, promise, and thank you again." She picked up my chart and said "No problem." I walked out of the room and headed to the elevator hoping Sullivan had left and that I wouldn't have to catch an awkward car ride back to my dads.