Boiling Bottles - Chapter 1

Miniature short story was Requested by: @Loho1548 Thank you for talking to me, putting up with waiting for me to post, and being amazing!!!♥☺

Timeline: Set as a alternate version of the B&B reignite fire from episode 1x04 'Reignited.' In this timeline Andy takes notice of Vic's change behavior, realizing that she has developed a fear of fire. Now Aware of that fact Andy tries to keep Vic as far from the flames as she can, until Vic is ready to dive back in head first. 

~Victoria Hughes~

Andy's party downstairs made quick work of putting out the reignite of the Bed and Breakfast kitchen fire, and once the flames had been doused she sent me a call over the radio to get down there to bring in more lines. Without knowing what was fueling the fire there was a chance that it could reignite again. I felt fear start coursing through me, but did my best to push it away, closing my eyes I took a deep calming breath, releasing slowly before I opened my eyes and said "Warren, come on, Herrera wants us to drag in the rest of the lines, we need to be ready for a reignite anywhere." He nodded and we quickly ran out to go get the lines. Once we finished bringing in the rest of the lines we went into the kitchen where Andy and Maya where standing very still. I was about to ask what they were doing when Andy put up a hand and said "Listen! she's calling from in there, it's the sister!" 

Andy and Maya grabbed a line and I looked behind me for a 'ok' signal from Andy before I checked the door for heat then cracked it open. After peaking in and seeing that it was clear I ran to the sister. When I reached the victim I said "Her thigh has a deep puncture, bleeding heavily, she needs the med-kit. Deborah can you walk?" The sister shook her head no before she said "Not really, I tried to get out but I couldn't make it on my own."I said "It's alright, we will get you out of here, just hang tight for a second and um." I paused to pull some gauze from one of my jacket pockets and said "Apply as much pressure to this as you can while I tie this around your leg okay? " She nodded and I turned to Andy as I tied my emergency ribbon around her leg, I said "I'm going to need some help to get her out of here." Andy turned to Bishop and said "Go get the med-kit I'll help Hughes." Andy started to make her way quickly over to us, moving past the huge wall of stacked wine bottles. 

That was when the I heard the sound of pressurised glass break, it sounded like a mini shattering explosion. I whipped around and shouted "Herrera!?" as I heard Andy cry out in pain,  glass is sticking out of her turnout. I watched Andy pull off one of her gloves and touch lightly around the glass, she brought her hand up and her fingertips were covered in blood. I grew immediately worried and I said "Andy are you okay?" She nodded shielding her face as another bottle exploded, she winced as more debri pierced through her turnout. Andy swallowed visibly in pain she said "It's minor stay with the victim." 

I glanced between the victim and Andy before I locked eyes with the victim and said "Keep applying pressure right here where my hands are, I need to help Captain Herrera get clear of the bottles. The force of their exploding is cutting clean through her jacket. Will you be alright for a few minutes while I help her?" She nodded and said "Yes, I believe so, just hurry back." I nodded and started rushing over to Andy when she said "Hughes, stay with your victim, do not break protocol for me, Bishop will be..." She trailed off wincing as she moved to cover her head again as another bottle exploded. She said "Bishop will be back soon."

I started to move towards her when bottle after bottle started to explode one after the other, seconds later Maya burst through the doorway and rushed over to Andy. Shielding her from the exploding bottles with her body themetal air canister on her back taking the brunt of the exploding glass bottles. Bishop quickly pulled Andy clear of the exploding bottles, from the other room I heard Maya scream "Get me a gurney, Herra is down, I repeat, Captain Herrera is down." Over the Radio Herrera's pained voice said "Warren get Hughes a med-kit, right damn now, she's got an injured victim- Maya stop fussing and get off me- that vitim takes top priority does everyone understand me. She is bleeding out heavily, she need a hospital, take care of her first, Bishop has me covered."

I went back to the victim and took over applying pressure I said "Don't worry, minor bump in the road, Warren will be here soon, he moves quick because we still treat him like a rookie even though he's been working with us for months. He used to be a surgeon, mentions it any chance he can possibly get, it's kinda annoying actually. How are you hanging in there Deborah?" She let out a light laugh and said "Could be better, I'm feeling a little light headed-." That was when there was aloud explosion, one I recognized well, a sudden eruption of a reignite. I threw myself over the victim and said "hold onto me, I- uh, need to get you out of here." I pulled on of the victim's arms around my shoulder and held her tightly, she wasn't very stead on her feet. Panic started to rise in me as everywhere I turned I saw flames, in some manner of size.

I felt like I was suffocating as terror swelled within me and started to grow until it was too much I  dragged the victim into a smoke filled corner and gave her my mask, to give her some air and to help my lungs feel less constricted even though I knew it wouldn't help me breathe. I grabbed my handheld radio and said "Thi-this is Hughes, I-I, fire everywhere, can't get out, can't breathe." I started to hyperventilate. Deborah offered me my mask back and I shook my head 'no' pulling my neck fabric up over my nose to try to keep myself from breathing in as much smoke as possible. I closed my eyes and pictured a calming ocean, hoping it would help.

~Andy Herrera~

I pushed Maya off of me, and sat up, I unbuckle myself from the spinal board and sat up. She said "Andy what the hell are you doing! Lay back down! I am pretty sure that piece in your shoulder is in pretty deep, and I don't want to remove it. The other pieces were just flesh wounds, those I patched up easily, but you need to go to a hospital." I turned to her and said "Vic, she's afraid of fire, didn't you hear what she said over the radio. She's trapped surrounded by fire. I need to get in there." Maya placed a hand on my chest and slammed me back down onto the spinal board she said "Okay, let's see if you can talk her down, okay, she's probably having a panic attack. Gibson and Miller are trying put the reignite fire out and Montgomery took Warren to drop the sister off at Grey-Sloan, he left us with plenty of medical supplies though and Gibson told dispatch to send over station 23's Aid car so it should be here soon. So when it gets here I am putting you in it so that you can be taken to a hospital." Montgomery should be on his way back by the time Hughes and the victim are rescued. Stop worrying, Andy, Vic will be fine." 

I heard hughes say "Please, get me out of here, I-I...can't." I shoved Maya off me forcefully and stood up, grabbing my turn out and I pulled it on despite my pain. I grabbed my radio and said "Hughes this is Andy, talk to me, I'm right here with you, we are putting the fire out you hear me, you are going to be fine. We are getting you out." I started running toward the building not bothering to snap my turnout clips closed in the front, it would take too much time, so I let it hang open, exposing my bloody torn uniform. I glanced over my shoulder to see Maya staring at me in shock she shouted "Captain Herrera, I swear to God if you go in there!" I turned to face the inside of the building and whispered under my breath, I said "I'm sorry..." Before I turned and ran into the building, I made my way through the building trying to find Hughes, Suddenly I felt a wave of dizziness and I put my hand to my still bleeding shoulder and collapsed.