Rubble of Skyhigh Collapse - Chapter 1

Timeline setup: This storyline is set as a continuation of the season one finale of Station 19 (picking up right where episode 1x10 left off) and is designed to be an alternate ending to the skyscraper fire.

Andy Herrera ~

I glanced up before quickly shutting my eyes at the realization that the force shaking the building was, only a few floors above, it was the explosion we had known was coming. I stumbled hitting the floor as the blast shook the tall building with all its might. Time seemed to slow as the building shook, it seemed like hours, my heart pounded loudly in my chest as I feared for myself, for the rest of the team, especially Jack. As far I knew all of nineteen was still in the building along with several other stations and people still evacuating. I gasped hearing the crying and creaking of the skyscraper, instantly gears turned in my head telling me to move to get out as quick as I could. My instincts telling me that the buildings structure was weakened, it could give way at any second, stress fractures could turn into structural collapses. I opened my eyes and glanced up the stairs to where I knew, Jack was only a few floors above me, he's likely injured or worse, he'll need help, he's alone. The thought "So am I." Flashed through my mind but I pushed it away, I didn't have time to worry. Mere minutes passed as the explosion took effect on the skyscraper. Dust and smoke clouded my vision, but things had begun to settle and I decided it was time to get up and get moving. I tried to radio a Mayday but received only static, I cursed, without a distress signal there would be no help. I had barely taken a single step when suddenly the fractured ceiling above me gave way, raining rubble as it caved in. I tried to run but I wasn't fast enough, the last thing I saw was the handrail of the stairs before something heavy slammed into my helmet; rubble continued to come down, showering me as I collapsed with the force of the hit. The world faded to black seconds after I hit the floor. My last fleeted thought a silent prayer I wasn't buried alive.

~ Maya Bishop ~

Hughes and I made our way to the stairwell hoping that no one else was left inside the crumbling skyscraper, it's falling apart at the seams and likely won't be  sound on the upper floors for long. An upper floor collapse would lead to a chain collapse. We made our way down flight after flight of the stairs, moving as swiftly as possible, until we were halted by a minor structural collapse part of the ceiling of the floor above had caved into the stairwell and was blocking  a large portion of the way, we would have to go over single file. I glanced at hughes and she nodded as I motioned for her to climb over first. I thought "If we are able to climb over the large pile of rubble an get to the stairs on the other side we should be alright, as long as we don't dislodge the whole pile." I said "Take it slow, we don't want to trigger the mound of rubble to collapse." Hughes shook herself out, loosening up, she then turned to me with an ever so slight smile she said "Lets climb this pile of killer crumble!" I rolled my eyes, sighing as she began to make her way over the large collection of rubble obstructing our path. After a minute or so of her carefully maneuvering herself, Hughes froze, she was already halfway over. She glanced at me worriedly questioning "Do you hear that?!" I was about to ask her "What?" When she cut me off "Shhh listen!" Hughes carefully but quickly climbed back down and kneeled next to the rubble. She took off her helmet and mask then shouted "Hello! Is anyone there?" I got down next to her and said "Vic are you sure you heard something?" 

That was when it started, that dreaded sound, the signal a firefighter was down, a signal that someone had been still for far too long. The haunting beeping of a pass device. Hughes turned to me  and said "Come on they've got to be trapped under there." She started to pull pieces of rubble from the pile and creating a new one behind her. I followed suite as Vic said "Crush syndrome, asphyxiation, internal bleeding, broken, bruised and fractured bones, head trauma, are all possibilities, we have to get to them before it's too late..." I nodded slightly out of breath as we continued to pull various sized pieces of rubble off the pile. We had made good progress and I cast a glance at Vic before I said "If you can hear us, hang on, try to let us know where you are. My name is Maya, and my friend Victoria and I are going to get you out of here." Hughes grabbed my hand after what felt like a lifetime and pointed to small visible patch of familiar yellow striped black of turnout gear. We then began to pull rubble away as fast as we could, finding a renewed source of energy. We uncovered the individuals right arm first then quickly moved to uncover their face and chest, before working on the rest. The gears were turning so fast in my mind, going over possible treatments, the best way to move someone, assessing that we had little to no medical supplies; I virtually missed the fact that the firefighter we were uncovering was becoming more and more familiar. 

After several minutes of frantically unburying the injured firefighter, almost all of the rubble was completely pulled away. I didn't notice Vic's gaping, shocked expression, until she let out a loud gasp breaking my focus. Vic leaned over the firefighter and said "Oh God! Andy! Andy!! Herrera!! Wake up dammit! No! Come on please be alive!" I felt numb as Vic pressed two shaking fingers to the pulse point on her neck, time seemed to freeze as I waited for her to say if... I closed my eyes for a brief second refusing to accept that Andy could be dead. As I opened my eyes I scanned Andy's limp form my eyes catching a large dark red stain surrounding a piece of rebar sticking out of her turnout jacket. I immediately rushed into action, firefighter instinct kicking in. I inspected the injury, the piece of rebar had probably fallen from the ceiling puncturing the left-mid of her torso. It is difficult to tell if it hit anything vital, pulling gauze from one of my pockets and applying pressure to the wound, my hands careful not to touch the piece of rebar. I scanned the rest of her body looking for any other signs of injury, signed relieved that I couldn't see anything else visible. I reminded myself that just becuase I didn't see any more injures doesn't mean Andy doesn't have any other injures. My thoughts were broken as Hughes said "Pulse! I got a pulse! She's Alive! Hang on Andy, help will come soon." Vic and I both knew no one was coming, but it was easier for Vic to lie than tell our dying friend that there might be no hope, I understood that and stayed silent. Hughes pulled the rest of the rubble off quickly, then stated "Her breathing is shallow, very likely crush injuries, but considering she wasn't towards the center of the pile the severity of her crush injures is likely survivable. We need to get her help soon, she has lost a very large amount of blood." I nodded glancing at my now blood stained gloves, and the blood pooling underneath Andy's side. I said "Once we move her we won't be able to stop, the location of the rebar-." Hughes cut me off as she solemnly said "I know..." I glanced down at Andy and said "Keep fighting Andy, embrace the pain, stay with me!" My heart was pounding, every part of me wanted to run down and get help myself but I knew Andy didn't have the luxury of time. Hughes wrapped her arms under Andy's and locked her hands together over her chest, Hughes pulled Andy tight and the abrupt movement caused Andy to stir and say something inaudible in a pained voice. Vic and looked at me determined as she said "Let's do this." With that I stopped applying pressure to Andy's injury and grabbed her legs. We quickly maneuvered Andy carefully over the rest of the rubble and started fighting against the clock, praying that we would make it down in time."There was no chance in hell I am losing my best friend today, not if I can help it" I thought. While we raced down flight after flight of stairs, my eyes kept locking onto the ever growing red stain on Andy's turnout.