Quick Water - Chapter 2

It was getting harder and harder to keep our heads above the surface, my focus was mainly on Max and our need to find something strong enough to hold the both of us, and the slippery walls of the sewer barely helped. I knew for a fact now that Max and I had traveled well over my rope line limit and that there was a strong chance my line had complications, there was no way they would be able to pull Max and I back up without someone intercepting us at another access point. I just needed to keep calm, keep Max calm, and hopefully we would be found before it was too late.

My hand hit something round and thin, and I latched on for dear life, the sewer pipe was almost completely dark, I was barely able to see Max clinging onto me. I said "Max if you can, can you shift so that you are laying on top of my chest instead of on my arm so that I can get a better grip on this hold." He let out a weak "Yeah." in response and I knew that he was tired, his muscles were probably screaming at him to let go, but he was still holding on as tight as he could. After he moved off my other arm I used both hands to hold on before I used one hand to reach up to my handheld radio I said "Hello? Can anyone read me? Mayday, mayday, this is Bishop of the search and rescue unit for nineteen requesting immediate assistance, I and a civilian are trapped in the sewer pipes." 

When no response came I assumed I was no longer transmitting a signal so I grabbed what was my anchoring line which now trailed down the pipes ahead of us, the current pulling it on. I then wrapped it around Max several times before I wrapped it around me I then said "Max buddy can you help me, I need you to use one hand to help me tie this into a knot okay. That way you won't have to hold on so tight, because you'll be tied to me, trust me I won't let you get pulled away by the current." He nodded and moved one arm to help me, following my instructions as we worked together to tie a secure knot in the rushing water. Once the knot was tied I put both hands on the round thin rod I was using as a hold, praying that help would come soon.

~Andy Herrera~

"Herrera you've already done enough damage for today, so unless you want to sit in the truck and watch everyone else recover Bishop and the victim then I suggest you not speak or move unless directly addressed, am I clear Lieutenant." I clenched my jaw before I replied "Yes Captain...Quite clear." He gave me a stern gaze before moving on to get a better look at our new access point. I lagged behind frustrated at the entire situation and at Sullivan for my being the sole focus of his blame. I thought."As if I didn't feel guilty enough this was completely my fualt, I was the one who had been responsible for checking the line and Maya's anchor point." I shook my head clearing it of all thoughts as I reached the access point, shocked at its size, I said "What is that! Thats nowhere near large enough to be an access point, no one here is small enough to get through that, Bishop won't even be able to get through that." 

Sullivan turned to me fingers pinching the bridge of his nose as he said "Herrera go grab the ring, we can at least give them something to hold onto and remember that the next time you let your worry get the better of you I will send you to sit in the damn truck. Now get it together or get out of the way." I nodded and said "Yes Sir." I was about to go grab the ring when Gibson came over and said "The access point's lid has been removed and we have a visual on Bishop and Max..." As Trailing off as he glanced at me fearfully before he continued. He said "Captain it's not looking good." I was about to rush over to assess the situation for myself, but Sullivans stare reminded me that I still needed to set up the ring.

I turned running back to the truck I grabbed the ring, I checked the line completely twice after I made sure that I had anchored the line firmly, I then brought the ring over to the access point, slowly lowering it until it was inches above the water. I Heard Maya's voice echo from inside the pipes she said "Max, I need you to grab the ring, I'll give you a boost over okay but you have to grab it. I know that your arms are tired and sore but, your dad and is waiting up there for you." Max worriedly said "What about you? Aren't you going with me?" I smiled as Maya said "They need to get you out first, I'll be okay, they'll pull me out right after you." There was a loud splash and the line became taught as we then started to pull Max up out of the sewer. 

Unfortunately for Maya, Max was the only one small enough to get out through the small access point, fear coursed through me as Max was whisked off to decontamination set up by the Dr. Pierce and Dr. Deluca.  down and leaned over the access point, I shouted down into it hoping that Maya could hear me over the rushing water. I said "Maya! It's Andy, can you hear me? I think you should be aware of the situation..." I trailed off hoping for some form of a response, her voice echoed through the pipes seconds later she said "Andy! Thank god! I was worried that you couldn't understand me through the radio, I'm pretty sure I fried it in the water." I smiled slightly happy that she was so optimistic even after traveling through a dark sewer pipe and fighting with the current. I said "...Maya about the recovery, there's no way we can get you out through this access point unless you can shrink down to Max's size. I-I I don't know what else to do... This access point is too small and there's a gas line is right next to it so there's no way we can expand the opening..." 

I heard a deep sigh echo from the pipes before she said "What if you mapped a path through the pipes from the previous access point to my position, I've got a good hold here. So you should have a few more hours, possibly less, until I can't hold on any longer. You have time to make a plan. I know that you will figure something out, just focus, find your medal, and give it all you've got." I nodded tears filling my eyes before I loudly sobbed out a response, I said "Ok-kay." I stood up surprised to find that Captain Sullivan had been standing over my shoulder.

Once I got to my feet he said "Herrera I need you to stay here, Keep Bishop talking and focused on keeping her head above the water. Don't make me regret leaving you in charge here while I take a team to recover Bishop." I was about to ask what the plan was when he turned towards Jack and said "Gibson you're coming with me and Miller on the Aid car." Sullivan then turned to the doctors who were still tending to Max he said "Dr. Deluca if you could be spared we could you use you to set up decontamination for our trapped crew member at the previous access point. We have a plan to get her out." I watched him say something to his fellow doctor before he followed Sullivan, Gibson and Miller to the Aid car.

Maya's voice echoing through the pipes broke me out of my thoughts. She said "Andy are you still there?" I said "Yes, of course I'm still here, did you really think I'd let my best friend, who I'll hopefully be moving in with soon, left all alone trapped in a sewer pipe with no one to talk to?" A chuckled echoed up through the pipes before she said "Andy... Conditions down here appear to be worsening, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep my head above the surface..." I turned around and shouted "Hughes! Contact the Captain, tell him conditions are worsening, and contact Warren to see if we can get Water Maintenance on the line, and find out if we can redirect water away from Maya's position!" 

Hughes gave me a thumbs up in acknowledgement as she grabbed her radio with the opposite hand. I turned back to the access point and said "Maya! Hang on okay! Jack, Miller and Sullivan are on their way, and Dr. Deluca will have decontamination set up for you once they get you out of there. Just, Embrace the pain..." When no reply came I let my head drop while as I cursed "Damnit" under my breath. I closed my eyes as tears welled up, I said "I can't lose you..." A few seconds later a loud gasping choke echoed up through the access point, my heart pounded out of my chest with fear. I hated being so helpless. I stared down into the sewer hoping, waiting, praying that Maya would say something anything to let me know that she was still okay. suddenly Maya let out a strangled cry of terror, it sounded like she had shouted my name. My head snapped up and out of pure fear I shouted "Maya!!!"