Rubble of skyhigh Collapse - Chapter 11

Maya said "Hey at least your not stuck behind the receptionist desk anymore." I rolled my eyes and said "I know, but you realize I've been stuck behind that desk for weeks, and now all of a sudden he decides to put me on Aid car. For one day? That just doesn't make sense to me..." I trailed off, staring down at the stations vehicles from the catwalk. Maya leaned on the bar to my left to look me in the eye and said "Use this, prove to him that your ready, that you are more than ready, that you deserve to be placed on regular duty. Kick ass today and you'll never have to sit at that desk again." I smiled as I turned to face her directly and was about to reply when the dispatcher voice rang out over the intercom filling the station. It said "Aid car nineteen medical response requested 1577 Moore Avenue." With one glance at Maya we both swiftly made our way to the Aid car and got in.  

When we got back to the station Maya who had been in the driver's seat, got out first, she ran around the aid car, and watched me get out. Once I had stepped out and closed the door of the Aid car she pulled me towards the rear of the Aid car. Using the large square back of the vehicle to block us from the view of the other members of the station who were cleaning the other response vehicles. Maya gazed at me sternly and quietly said "Andy, I saw you stumble as we swung our axes to get through the wall. Don't pretend you didn't. I also saw you wince when you got into the Aid car. Are you okay? Honestly because if your not I swear to God I'll drive you to Grey-Sloan right now." I stood there my eyebrows raised and said "Wow... All that encouraging talk earlier and you're acting like I'm going to die if I trip or forget the proper stance to be in while swing an ax or strain strain a muscle because I forgot the proper stance for using my ax. Since, oh I don't know? It's been months since I've been on a call, and I'm months out of practice! Did you think of that Maya or maybe is it that you think I shouldn't be here! That I should be lying in bed at home resting, or sitting all day at that damn reception desk, waiting, hoping, and praying that there will be a walk-in. I'm about inches away from putting in for a transfer, because I can't take the torture of sitting at that desk for another damn day!!"

Maya was staring at me mouth gaping, looking for the words to reply, I took a few steps back, startled, I hadn't realized the others had gathered around and were now staring at us both surprised and shocked. I shook my head as Maya said "Andy... I-." I cut her off as I said "Forget it, all you just forget I said anything. I wasn't thinking." I turned and walked away heading to the living quarters to go take a shower. Maya stayed where she was, watching me as I walked away. I thought."That last part was a lie, I knew what I was saying, I'd been thinking about transferring for awhile, I just haven't really determined if I'm going to or not, I mean I love it here at nineteen, it's where my dad's legacy is, but I'm getting really tired of being treated like some gimpy, half alive, wounded individual who needs special care. I have been cleared for duty, I didn't cheat my way back here. I stretch and exercise everyday on top of whatever goes on here, not that I've been seeing much action anyway." 

I walked into the shower room and started pulling off my shirt. As I placed it onto the table next to the first shower stall in the shower room Maya walked in. She looked like she was about to say something as she saw me she paused her gaze catching on my shitless upper-half. I glanced down at the still bright red scar on the left mid of my torso. I looked back up to find Maya stood frozen staring her mouth slightly agape. Several long seconds past, her staring made me more and more uncomfortable. I noticeably cleared my throat to draw her attention away from my scar before I said "Did you have something to say or are you going to keep staring." I placed my hands on my hips waiting for a reply as she shook her head and said "Sorry, I- uh, I didn't mean to, it's just- uh..." She trailed off and said "I wanted to apologize, I shouldn't of been so quick to assume that you were in pain from-. I should of waited to say something until we were in a more private space. I didn't mean to push you to any extremes." 

I raised my eyebrows and said "Oh so you think I was being extreme?! Okay, you know what I'm going to finish getting undressed and then I'm going to get in the shower, and I really want you to think about not talking to me the remainder of today because I'm done being treated like some wounded-." Maya cut me off stating "I'm sorry it's just-." She cut herself off and glanced down once more at my scar before she said "Everytime I see you I see you lying there in the rubble bleeding out and it's hard not to act like your aren't injured at least to some degree. I know you're not bleeding out in my arms anymore but today with the rubble of that wall we smashed through it just hit me all over again, that... That you almost died!"

I grabbed my shirt and pulled it over my head before walking over to Maya. Tears brimmed her eyes as I said "You aren't going to lose me. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not going to die anytime soon. You bet your ass I'll fight like hell to stay here putting out fires with you until I'm too old to get up the damn stairs. I'm not going to transfer either, I wasn't seriously thinking about applying. The thought has just been frequently crossing my mind. Especially with all that time I've spent sitting at the reception desk spinning around in circles on the wheelie chair and stacking pencils like jenga." 

Before Maya could reply the dispatcher voice came on over the speaker. It said "Aid car nineteen respond, hiker in distress, Tyberia park." Maya leaned her head on my shoulder angrily sighing "God damnit. Can we ever finish a conversation in this place?" I smiled and gave her shoulders a comforting squeeze before I said "Come on we can finish this conversation in the Aid car on the way there. The sooner we get to this vic. the sooner we can help them." She smiled standing up straight as she jokingly said "Guess this means no showers for us, it's too bad we spent all of our time talking, we both look like crap." I let out a laugh as I pulled the suspenders of my turnout pants back on and followed Maya out of the shower room and back to the engine bay. 

Maya got into the Aid car first, she turned to me as I got in and said "Have you really been thinking about a transfer, I mean, I know sometimes some of us treat you like you still need help getting around, and I know Sullivan has really been dragging out your easing back in. Unless you think he's still punishing you for what happened your first day back?" I sighed and said "I think he's just dragging out my easing back in, I already served my punishment. You'd be surprised how this filthy the station can be, it looks clean but when you actually start cleaning..." I shook my head as Maya let out a light laughed and said "Was it really that bad, granted Sullivan did say he wanted this place spotless, but still." I smiled shrugging in response before I said "It wasn't that bad, but let's just say I'm never using the five second rule again." Maya's expression changed to one of disgust as she began driving the Aid car to Tyberia park where our victim was awaiting assistance.

Authors note: I would like to announce I have created a new book cover, and I'd appreciate if you'd let me know what you think, and please be honest because I can and will likely change it.