02. An Unsettling First Night

MAGGIE WOKE UP to the sound of light rain hitting the large frosty window. A familiar coldness seeped into the room as the dim light began to rise. She wiped away the lingering locks of hair away from her face before letting out a long yawn.

Grabbing her usual morning attire – which consisted of a thick jumper and slipper boots – she drifted out of her room and navigated herself to the kitchen.

Maggie's nose scrunched up at the strong smell of the bitter brew as she passed Max. She greeted him before pouring water in the kettle and flicking on the switch to let it boil. She glanced around the small but practical kitchen that had brown cupboards and a weathered island bench.

Max chewed on slightly burnt toast with a placid expression, he spoke up, "Did you manage to get some sleep?" He washed his food down with the black coffee.

She shrugged indifferently, not really answering the question verbally. Maggie then asked, "Did you hear the wolves howling early this morning?"

The continuous sounds had woke her up around dawn; the noises were so hauntingly familiar that it wasn't until a few hours later she fell back asleep.

Looking back up at her, Max's expression became puzzled, "No, I didn't. How long did you stay up?"

She evaded his answer as she fiddled with the teabag in her hand, "Don't worry. I got to sleep fine."

"You sure?" He emphasised by pointing at her eyes, referring to the dark circles. Maggie just rolled her eyes and got back to making some toast for herself.

Max let out an exasperated sigh as his fingers moved to rub circles on his temples, "Maggs," He began in a scolding tone. "You need to get your sleep; you're going to be tired all day and get moody,"

Glancing at his watch, Max let out another irritated huff, "Look, I've got to head out. There are a couple of places around town that are looking for help," He explained, slinging a bag over his shoulder. "Could you get groceries? I left some money on the counter,"

He walked over, moved the tangled hair out of Maggie's tired face and kissed her forehead briefly before mumbling, "I'll be taking the truck, sorry."

Maggie nearly scoffed at the pathetic apology but nodded instead, "Bye, Max," She muttered, mustering up a small, dismissing wave.

As he strutted towards the door and held it open, he added, "I could be out late so don't look for any trouble,"

She smiled a little, "Like I'll do anything attract trouble,"

But Max didn't return the gesture, his expression remained serious, "You'd be surprised – so be careful. It's a new town."

Closing the door gently behind him, Maggie grumbled grudgingly under her breath as her feet pattered against the floor directed to her room.

Grabbing several warm clothes and her favourite green jacket, Maggie headed for the bathroom adjacent to her room. She turned the tap on the shower, testing the water before stripping off her pyjamas. Goosebumps arose immediately but she let out a content moan when she stood under hot water cascading from the showerhead.

After fifteen minutes, she reluctantly stepped out of the shower and wiped the fog off the small, square mirror.

As she dressed, her attention drifted to the ugly puckered claw marks and pale scars marred her delicate skin.

Maggie let out an exasperated sigh before turning away from the mirror and averting her eyes away from the gruesome scars.

Dressed and clean, Maggie continued her morning routine like brushing her teeth and pulling her towel-dried hair into a low ponytail. Walking out, she stuffed the cash placed on the kitchen counter into her pocket, along with the spare house keys.

On the trip to Wolverton Falls, she recalled Max mentioning the local grocery store was a few streets back from the house. Maggie proceeded to the front door only to halt by a dark shadow lingering behind the bushes that covered the narrow window beside the door.

Maggie's eyes narrowed, and eyebrows drew into a heavy frown as she tried to scrutinise the unknown, intruding figure. As soon as it appeared, the shadow was gone in a blink of an eye; only leaving the overgrown shrubs to rustle as only evidence it was previously there.

Maggie lifted a hand over her chest as she felt her heart beating irregularly fast and let out a shaky breath.

Hesitantly, she turned the doorknob before inching it back. Nudging her head through the gap and gazing at the icy shrub beside the pathway, her eyes scanned the area only to find there was nothing.

She opened the front door with force and a gust of icy wind suddenly rushed through, making her violently shiver.

It had certainly been an exhausting night for Maggie, followed by unsettling shadowy appearances in the morning. She prayed nothing else out of the ordinary would occur – especially considering this was only the first day of living in the secretive Wolverton Falls.

Satisfied nothing was out there, Maggie stepped out, took in a deep breath before walking out into the cold streets of Wolverton Falls. The hard snow crunched underneath her boots, the only sound in the eerie silence of the ghostly town.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

STATUS: EDITED

IMAGE: Chris Wood as Emmett

MUSIC: R.I.P 2 My Youth by The Neighbourhood