21. Honesty in a Motel

KATYA LEFT NO room for any further conversation and it left Maggie more exhausted by her current scenario. From the mysterious siblings, the abrupt discovery of the supernatural universe, her undoubtedly vengeful captor and missing brother – it had her mind foggy. Maggie could barely begin attempting to comprehend the care Katya quickly adopted for her since they first met.

Silently, Katya guided her towards Luka's direction, which was outside a small, dark motel. It was an ordinary five-story grey building that had a simple sign of, 'Wolverton Falls Motel,' and the interior wasn't any more impressive.

As the siblings stepped forward gracefully, Maggie stumbled in tow looking at the lack of life in the reception area. A wilting plant sat alone on the vinyl floor, unaccompanied steel chairs lined methodically along an egg yolk coloured wall and a plump woman sat behind a high desk. Her wired glasses slipped occasionally as she idly flipped through a novel.

Everything felt a gloomy grey. From the falling snow battling the wind to every sombre detail of the motel. The lingering grief and fatigue weighed Maggie down until her shoulders slouched, head hung low and arms wrapped insecurely around her chest.

She's had a busy day.

Katya and Luka wordlessly passed the woman who hardly acknowledged them. Maggie whispered lowly to them in confusion, "Don't you have to book a room?"

She remembered Luka mentioning that he and his sister were 'staying at the motel' after they 'found Maggie'; however, Maggie assumed the campsite out in the woods was where they temporarily resided. She was worried Luka's false statements were going to get all of them in serious strife with Sheriff Mellor.

Pausing at the front of the ascending stairs, Luka stiffly replied, "The room has been booked since we arrived two weeks ago. The sheriff will not have any suspicions about the validity of my story," Without looking at her, he continued marching up the steps, he snapped the next words, "Поторопись [Hurry up],"

Sighing softly, Maggie could only assume the Russian phrase meant for her to hasten her pace as she easily fell behind. They walked up a flight of stairs before striding down the dimly lit hallway. It was silent behind the several wooden doors aligned in the corridor. There was not a soul in sight. If Maggie hadn't seen the receptionist, she would have been convinced the building was abandoned.

As they came to a stop at a door numbered '13' made of opaque plastic, Maggie eyes caught Luka's quick movements. A long, muscled arm reached for the back pocket of his jeans as he swept his long coat away. His hand reached down into the pocket, a sliver of smooth tan skin flashing as his shirt slightly lifted. Her freckled cheeks flared crimson from embarrassment. Diverting her gaze to the floor, Maggie chewed on her bottom lip and listened to the subtle jingle of keys.

The door opened, revealing a long rectangular room. Adjacent to the two twin beds was a confined bathroom with a stack of clean towels and sample soaps. On the opposite wall was a bench screwed to the wall that ran the length of the perimeter. The dark tan paint on the wall was a strange prickly texture. The only décor was a tasteless picture of a barn placed haphazardly near the window at the end of the room. The smell of tobacco residue reached Maggie's nose. The only indication that Katya and Luka had been occupying the rented room was the brown duffle bags lying perfectly centre on the crisply made beds.

Getting Maggie's attention, Katya gestured her hand towards the bathroom, "You are welcome to take a shower. There are fresh clothes in my bag. Get some rest," She ordered gently before excusing herself. She reached her brother who was staring out the square, frosted window and they began exchanging quiet words.

Feeling like she was invading their privacy, Maggie grasped the handles of the duffle bag and made her way into the tiny bathroom. She shut the door carefully behind her. She sat on the closed lid of the toilet and began taking off her insulated boots. Her tired muscles ached as she peeled away her warm clothes, leaving her pale, bruised skin exposed to the circulating air.