12. Back into the Forest

KATYA TIGHTLY GRIPPED the small girl's hand as they moved quietly through the cabin. The blood-curdling snarls and growls echoed in the halls. The threatening sounds had Katya increase her speed toward the back door.

She remembered her brother precisely telling her to use the back exit as they would try to keep the rogue pack's attention on them at the cabin's entrance. Luka promised that they would execute the plan immaculately and would result in the eradication of the criminals.

They shortly arrived at the door and both glanced at each other anxiously. The smaller girl tugged the woollen green blanket around her shoulders tighter before Katya quickly broke all the steel padlocks with her bare hands. She looked over her shoulder cautiously to check if anyone had heard them before turning the handle gently.

A sudden gush of icy wind came rushing through with a large howl of the wind. Katya felt a small smile form as she watched the girl's once terrified expression crumbled into a relieved one as she deeply inhaled the fresh, crisp autumn air.

Katya grasped her hand and pulled her forward, steering her toward the thick tree line. The dark shadows would hide their escaping figures. Their hearts beat wildly in their chests as the faraway growls haunted the forest.

Katya noticed the girl visibly flinch at the echoing noises of the carnage away in the opposite direction. Her own sensitive ears were pierced by the horrific sounds of flesh tearing and blood spilling.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Katya stalked towards a familiar pine and grabbed a dark duffle bag from the base of it. She unzipped it swiftly before grabbing some clothes.

Passing the clothing to the girl, she curtly ordered, "Change – quickly."

The girl remained utterly stunned; still in shock that she was out in the open away from her vicious captor. Katya let out a huff of slight frustration; time was slipping away.

"Торопитесь! Hurry!" She ushered impatiently, breaking the girl out of her trance. She clumsily put on the large pants and boots before shrugging off the blanket from her skinny shoulders to put on a winter coat.

The girl shakily zipped up the jacket and rubbed her hands together in a weak attempt to create warmth. Her eyes cast down at the ground. Katya's eyes softened as she approached the skittish girl with care.

"I'm Katya Rostovtsev," She introduced quietly, an apologetic tone underlined her words. The girl looked up at her with unsureness before mumbling her name softly.

"M-Maggie Lucins."

As Katya began to reply, a piercing canine snarl suddenly cut her off. The leaves rustled as small animals scattered away and frightened ravens flew up into the night sky.

Katya immediately shifted closer to Maggie, moving her arm against her abdomen. Maggie understood the silent instruction to stay behind her closely as her senses became more alert.

The growl sounded very threatening, so Katya's body remained in a defensive position as she glared into the darkness. Hostile grumbles struggled to stay down in her throat as she watched with vigilant eyes for a sign of movement. Katya saw the outline of a large wolf come out from a cluster of tall pine trees.

"Stay very still," Katya mumbled under her breath to Maggie who clutched the ends of her jacket.

Katya's mind wondered briefly to Maggie's potential reaction to the deadly situation about to unfold. She was not sure if Maggie knew of the existence of the supernatural wolves. If Katya was to turn into her natural form to defend them, she was uncertain of the human's response.